1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

3" wider rear fenders & Running boards??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:50 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3" wider rear fenders & Running boards??

I'm installing 3"wider fiber glass rear fenders on my 55 F100 and I'm not sure as to the fit I should have with the running boards? I was looking for some pics on what other trucks look like but can't seem to find a pic that shows this. I'm also wondering if they (fender or running board) need to be modified to get the proper fit? If so which is easier?
Pics and advice greatly appreciated!

Old 07-18-2010, 04:59 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am running the 3"wider fenders as sold by mid-fifty. They did not require me to modify the running boards. The fenders are bolted right through the back of the running boards. If you look in my gallery, the one with the primer still on it. you can see the fiberglass fenders pretty well.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
here are a some pics of mine.. same as B/B, glass from Bebops..

I can take a closer one if u need it

Sam

Attached Images    
Old 07-18-2010, 11:05 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
I think that Sam has answered the mail on this one...the only advice that I would offer is that you put some good size tires/rims on the rear to fill up all that new found space. Nothing worse than skinny tires under a widened fender.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:06 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Great looking trucks! From the pics every thing looks good but what I would like to see is a shot looking down on to the running board at the front of the rear fender. Not sure as to how this needs to look. When I mocked up mine on the floor there seems to be a noticeable space at the fender? This maybe because they aren't on the truck!(not quite there yet) And the whole reason I went to the 3" wider tires is for the 295/10/15" that I got a smoken deal on!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:14 AM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

I'll get you a picture tomorrow morning if someone hasn't beat me to it.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:59 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by CdnWillyG
Great looking trucks! From the pics every thing looks good but what I would like to see is a shot looking down on to the running board at the front of the rear fender. Not sure as to how this needs to look. When I mocked up mine on the floor there seems to be a noticeable space at the fender? This maybe because they aren't on the truck!(not quite there yet) And the whole reason I went to the 3" wider tires is for the 295/10/15" that I got a smoken deal on!
the running board back edge fits into the fender notch.

I had to clamp them together to drill the hole to bolt them.

sam

Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...232449.520.390

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...232450.520.390

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...232451.520.390

Well I got the links in but I'm still learning this windows 7 system we recently got and can't figure out how to post pictures, any tips?

Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by B/B ford
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...232449.520.390

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...232450.520.390

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...232451.520.390

Well I got the links in but I'm still learning this windows 7 system we recently got and can't figure out how to post pictures, any tips?
as u are a 'supporter', there should be a button 'manage attachements' in the 'additional options' section on the advanced message post screen.. there u can upload up to 3 pictures from your PC..

as you have them loaded from your gallery, you would use the image icon (mountain) instead of the URL

note that FTE has strict limits on how big, how many, re-use, etc.. images you can use..

I just upload to photobucket, then share from there using the image icon

Windows 7 doesn't affect this at all. you cannot show pictures directly from your pc.

Sam

Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Thanks Sam, I do have a photo bucket account so I guess I will just have to experiment some more.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by B/B ford
Thanks Sam, I do have a photo bucket acciount so I guess I will just have to experiment some more.
yeh, photobucket has made things a little harder of late.. for the sake of sharability improvements (which I don't intend to use myself)

they USED to let you click the copy described below from the multi-image preview pane.

now you have to VIEW each pic to do it

as shown in the attached image, if you click into any of the web url text next to each type, that string will be copied automagically to the clipboard for you.. easier to paste when the dialog comes up from the mountain button on the FTE post editor page.

do NOT click on the IMG Thumbnail text.. cause it will only give you the link to the thumbnail image..
(used to be you could click that, it would put the full sized '[img]...pic[/img]' text in the clipboard, so all you had to do was paste it, without using the image insert button..)

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
It's real easy. Upload the pix to photobucket making sure they are not too large (I like to resample my pix using 800x600 pixel image size, 72 dpi resolution to keep viewers from having to scroll across to see the whole pic. I can also compress the jpeg ~ 50% with a 10% smoothing setting without loss of detail in my photopaint program. I then save it with a descriptive name where I can find it easily.)
After uploading it click on share this image, then on get link codes. highlite the entire text in the first box under IMG for bulletin boards and forums (that starts with "[img]") and copy it (hold down the control key and press C key). Now come here and start your post. where you want your picture to appear, paste (control V) the copied code. If it doesn't end in "[/img]" you didn't copy the entire code, go back to photobucket, find your picture and try again.
When you preview or save your post your picture should appear in it.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
My fenders were made by Fairlane but appear to be made like all the others shown. I didn't like the look of the stock ribbed boards on a modified truck so I'm fabbing my own running boards. Not sure what part of the fit you're having problems with so my photos may be of no help.

Drewski

Old 07-19-2010, 06:37 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Well thanks guys all picks helped!
I was sure that they needed to fit better than what I was seeing on my floor. If they fit that good when properly mounted then I will be real happy. I did buy my fenders from Mid Fifty along with the running boards so the fit should work.
Thanks again for you pics ....
Pic is worth a thousand words!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:40 PM
superman64011
Tuned
Make sure you dont start your truck up and leave it in neutral and have it jump out of gear and crush your passenger side 3 " wider fender.

Quick Reply: 3" wider rear fenders & Running boards??