AMERICAN MADE INDEX

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:34 AM
ArtsBest
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMERICAN MADE INDEX

Not very USA-like now is it?

Blame a decline in its domestic parts content, which dropped to 55 percent for the 2010 model year. In past years the F-150 has held steady around 80 percent domestic parts content; even last year's redesign, which had the potential to change the figures, returned a respectable 75 percent rating. That's not the case anymore.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the larger picture, I have some sympathy for the American auto companies. They are constantly trying to balance the "Made in America" image against the total cost of building a vehicle while trying not to pass too much additional costs on to Joe Q. Public.

Unfortunately, countries like China are steadily rolling out parts that are substantially cheaper (even with import costs) than equivalent parts made here in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Where does one draw that line? Would you be willing to pay 10% more for a Ford, if it were 90% domestic? What if it was 15 or 20% more expensive?

Old 07-16-2010, 11:20 AM
xciton
Freshman User
Do you have a link?

Is this measured based on cost or quantity of components?

In any event, purchasing / vendor engineering have been busy if they have moved 20% of components out of USA in one year.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The other problem is even if it is made in USA the quality has to be compromised to compete with the communist made parts.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:47 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
It also doesn't help that all other industrialized nations subsidize their manufacturers while the USA for the most part does not. The subsidies that I'm talking about before everyone gangs up on me is government provided health insurance and retirement plans. Those legacy costs can add quite a bit to the price of a product and other companies from other countries don't have that problem. And there is also executive pay. Foreign manufactures don't compensate their executives nearly as well as American and British companies do. And then there is the low pay that 3rd world country workers receive. It's all part of the global economy. And the only beneficiaries are the stockholders. If Ford used all American content they would probably sell 30% of the vehicles that they sell because they would be priced completely out of the middle class price range. As much as I think vehicles are overpriced now, I would hate to think of the price if they were all 90% or higher American content.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:41 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
My concern isn't so much about American parts content as it is North American parts content.

On the Superduty forum, a fella had purchased a 2010 F-250. He took pics of the truck and then took a pic of his radiator. The stamp said made in China.

I know that every stitch of clothing that I wear comes from overseas. Much of our seafood is farm raised in other countries.

Really? Does the auto industry have to rub our faces in it when we're expected spend north of $50K for a truck?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Buy American-remember those bumper stickers from years ago. Had we demanded that the American companies produce most if not all of their products here, we may not be in the economic state we are in. But between our Unions (quasi political parties) who have priced our jobs so high that the companies moved them overseas and our shopping additions (more, more got to have more), we have a house full of sub-grade Chinese stuff. It is not hard to buy American and it does not cost that much more. From Amish made items, tools, clothes made in Maine to produce bought from the local farmer, it's not that hard to BUY AMERICAN. Just my two cents on a Saturday morning, Chris. (PS: As I sit in my Levis made in the USA, slippers made in Maine and my shirt made in Seattle on a chair made in PA by the Amish)

Old 07-17-2010, 09:03 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I bought a new pair of Justin boots awhile back. Had the last pair for several years. Resoles a couple of times.

Was putting in a sole insert and saw it. MADE IN CHINA.

Now what?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Spindoctor
Junior User
I wish I could say we should have had "Buy North American" stickers, but Mexico is as big a contributor to the economic disturbance here as China is. Canada is in the same boat as the US. Unlike the US, Canada has chosen a road which is completely devoid of any form of identity - so "Buy Canadian" would mean squat. That doesn't mean that its citizens don't face the same problems that US citizens face. Whatever is leaving our shores will never come back. When a generation of skilled workers and professionals retire, there will be no need to replace their jobs. All of the technology was handed over to Asian countries when short-sighted colleges and universities decided that making a few more bucks off foreign students was vital to their (colleges and universities) existence. There are so many examples of foreign students trained in North America who came back to do business with North America based on production in countries who don't play fairly. When you subsidize everything right down to the raw material source, each layer has a collective contribution. I'm not saying North American consumers are innocent here, but nations who claim to be playing the global market do so with complete disregard for the economic impact on those to whom they plan to sell their product.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 AM
94MustangGT
Elder User
Originally Posted by tseekins
I know that every stitch of clothing that I wear comes from overseas.
I hear ya, and that's one thing that has always bothered me. I found this awhile ago:

USA Made Clothing Jeans and Shirts by All American

Check them out. They have good stuff. The trade deficit for April 2010 was $40 billion, IIRC. That is rediculous to put it mildly. I do my best to make sure I'm not part of the problem.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 94MustangGT
I hear ya, and that's one thing that has always bothered me. I found this awhile ago:

USA Made Clothing Jeans and Shirts by All American

Check them out. They have good stuff. The trade deficit for April 2010 was $40 billion, IIRC. That is rediculous to put it mildly. I do my best to make sure I'm not part of the problem.
Great link, thanks. I tried to rep ya but th e police are out today. I did save it to my favorites.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:25 PM
94MustangGT
Elder User
^ 'Preciate it! I got a couple shirts from them several weeks ago. Plan on getting some jeans when it gets cooler.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Originally Posted by tseekins
Great link, thanks. I tried to rep ya but th e police are out today. I did save it to my favorites.
Got him for ya!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 PM
94MustangGT
Elder User
^ Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: AMERICAN MADE INDEX