Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Harbor Freight stuff.. idk if i wanna really buy....

Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 AM
ford005
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have really good luck with HF, but as it has be said before, there are some things you shouldn't skimp on if you have the funds at the time. I don't use my tools to make a living, per say, but I do beat them like they owe me money.

I have (8) 6 ton jack stands, two 3 ton jacks, a 2 ton engine hoist, a 1000 lb engine stand, multi-meter, 4 1/2" grinder, 1/2" click torque wrench and a bunch of other tools that have served me well for over 10 years and haven't given me any grief.

I had a 3000 lb winch that was powerful and pulled many disabled cars on my trailer. It would still be around, but I forgot to cover it and deployed, so it was corroded up and dead when I got back. I replaced it with the green camo wireless remote winch, and it is doing an ok job. I want to pick up one of the 10K winches and give it a try...for the money, it can't be too bad.

A few years ago, I went through my second Chicago Pneumatic 1/2" impact driver and was never impressed with them (got them from Home Depot), so I picked up the Earthquake 1/2" impact from HF and that has been excellent. It has plenty of power and does more than I ask of it.

I have a HD 16 speed floor drill press...the quality probably isn't up to par with the high $$ units out there, but it is tough and does the job as well.

I love the composite ratchets...they have a wide handle so they are easy to hold onto when wearing gloves and don't hurt your hands, plus they are light and strong. I was using the 1/2" ratchet on my F150 to turn the engine over and forgot about it and left it hanging there. A few days later, I finished what I was doing and started the truck. It cranked a little hard at first...almost like the battery was weak, then fired up. I heard a clunk and a buzzing sound, so I shut 'r down and investigated. It had loosened the bolt, reversed it self and the fan was beating on it. I thought for sure it was toasted, but it still works fine and just has some battle scars.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:56 PM
bulldogchief
Senior User
For what it's worth; I have bought a lot of stuff from HF over the years. There's a HF store not far from my house. I would say about 99% of what I have bought from them has been good, sound tools. I have a air/hydro motorcycle lift, 7 1/2" angle grinder, air regulator/oiler, 5" sander/polisher, and a myriad of hand tools. The only thing I had a complaint with was the magnetic quick-connect device for my cordless drill, that broke after about a week. All of the other stuff I mentioned has been top-notch and I have no complaints.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have turned wrenchs for a living for 25 yrs. and harbor frieght has some things that I'll use and others I won't. Like meters I love them 4.99 and I run them over or step on them or come up missing no big deal. I had a $300 Flute and I let some dumb a** use it and he broke it. Air grinders yes I can buy 10 of them for the cost of 1 snap on. And I can set each one up with different grinding wheels or bits. Now I will only use Snap on ratchet and sockets air ratchet Ball joint tool Snap on or Mac, Matco. Also do NOT ever buy Harbor's spring compresser is your life worth it. China sucks at making steel. P/s puller and installer I use Harbor they may only last half as long but how offen do you us it. I use to be the guy that said I won't buy that junk. But I also would owe the tool guys half my pay check. So some of it is good and some is junk.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:32 PM
ganzey
Senior User
i love harbor freights sockets. they are color coded too, so if you have a 16mm and need a deepwell, just grab the purple one, no time wasted looking at the little tiny numbers on them

Old 05-29-2011, 01:11 PM
71 Sport Custom
Senior User
Chainfall

Does anyone own and use a HF chainhoist. I understand the you get what you pay for theory very well, However many of the more expensive units sold are still made in China. Some even appear identical with different colors and stickers. Do any of the guys working there on this thread see any/many failures or returns on these? thanks

Old 05-29-2011, 01:49 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Have you checked out their site www.harborfreight.com ? You can type in chain hoist, then read any reviews that have been posted. The one ton model has 9 favorable reviews. A couple other models have 1 each favorable reviews.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM
71 Sport Custom
Senior User
I had been watching the site for more reveiws but have not seen any new ones in a while. Looked elsewhere for reviews on them and had no luck. i figure the guys that work there would know if many come back. I'm interested in the 3 ton and it has no reveiws at all. I'd imagine most people are buying the one ton units but I'd like aditional safety factor plus figure once its up and the word gets out I have one it'll probably get used for larger jobs than what I have imediately in mind.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
never heard anything bad about them... overall are pretty basic units..

Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 AM
wiseguy
Elder User
I've got a 12 ton for jacking up my RV, and it works just fine. I think the 12 tons is also the weight of the jack and not just the weight rating.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:53 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
I buy Craftsman, Snap on, Allen, etc if I am going to repeatedly use it and HF if I will rarely use it. Can't beat HF for price on a rarely used tools. Set up a tool box for my 5er from HF....