6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DPF Delete Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:47 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPF Delete Questions

I am looking at doing the DPF delete because a stock F-450 with 4.88's in the rear sucks fuel like crazy.

I am gonna go with a spartan tuner.. But I got 35k of bumper to bumper warranty left with Ford.

Is there anything I need to know about running a stock truck w/ a spartan? I wanna get the S&B intake ASAP to get some cool air in there.

S&B a good choice?

My other big question is can I run the cat delete DP and put my DPF filter back on?

I travel all over the US and if I break down being choosy with dealerships is not an option.

Thanks alot guys.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I cannot fully answer your questions, but spartan does have a good rep with the programming and getting rid of the DPF. Not sure that removal of the CAT would yield any results.

You would obviously need to carry everything with you to return it to stock if you needed to take it back in for service.

I have never had a problem leaving my banks on and going in for warranty work that was not motor related.

I did take it off one time because of an ABS light. I knew that would require access to the PCM.

I also had them search for any codes while they were there. There was no mention of anything upon picking up the truck.

There is a risk and you would need to pony up if they blamed your tuner as the issue.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 PM
astamp78
Senior User
I have 18k miles on my truck and have the Spartan DPF/CAT delete and love it. I haven't had it long enough to talk about MPG increase but the performance is so much better. Spartan also sells packages with the S&B intake (I think).

In the event you need warranty work, you can flash the computer back to stock without leaving a trace. Some will dispute this, but no one that has a Spartan has disputed it or ran into a problem that I have seen. So I tend to ignore those that claim this is not possible since it is only an opinion and not backed up (that I have seen) by anyone with actual experience.

So yes, you are taking a risk on your warranty, but no its not a guaranteed void of your warranty like some claim. I would talk to your dealer's service department manager and "hypothetically" get his take on it. Some dealers are more prone to be your advocate, some are more prone to be Ford's advocate.

Hope that helps some?

Old 07-15-2010, 05:03 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
What good is flashing the computer back to stock if the DPF is removed?? I was wondering if I can put the dpf back in with an aftermarket cat delete pipe

Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the Spartan (and other) current procedures are to remove the DPF section of the pipe and replace it with what appears to be about a 40" straight pipe. Going back to stock would obviously require you to remove the pipe and put back on the DPF.

You can run a DPF On tune, Banks and Spartan have them and all you would need to do is re program the PCM back to stock if you needed dealer service.

Just FYI, I kinda figured this today. A 3 MPG increase over 900 miles will save about $75-85. 900 miles is my weekly average, so, it could be a $4000/year savings, give or take. I have no idea if you can get 3 MPG out of a 6.4 tuned but I was comparing to the new 6.7 today trying to decide if I am going to get one.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
I found the answer to my question.. my only issue is that I wanna buy a 4 inch DPF delete and a 4 inch DP. I would have to do some modding to the filter to make it fit the 4 inch system

Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
I found the answer to my question.. my only issue is that I wanna buy a 4 inch DPF delete and a 4 inch DP. I would have to do some modding to the filter to make it fit the 4 inch system
Keep in mind that if you start changing out too many pieces, it just means that much more work to get it back to stock should you need to take it in. The stock down pipe is plenty big enough and the stock exhaust pipe will also easily flow as much as you need it too. As for S&B, I have never had an issue with mine nor has it ever thrown a code (except for winter driving when it sucks in too much snow). As astamp said the power and driveability increase is worth it alone, so in my opinion any MPG increase is a bonus, and there is a definite increase. If you are worried about warranty then I would just do the dpf delete pipe that is made for the factory exhaust otherwise you'll need 3 hours to change everything back to stock and need to carry all of the stock parts with you everywhere you go. FYI, I have heard horror stories of guys getting denied warranty (second hand stories) for running after market cold air intakes. So you should also keep the stock air box with you as well if you are worried about warranty, IMO.

I can say that you will not regret spending the money on the Spartan setup, that is one thing I know for sure. Good Luck

Old 07-17-2010, 11:48 AM
astamp78
Senior User
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
To put it back to stock everything from the engine back to the DPF would be stock. So you would want to put the factory downpipe back on. I am with Brandon that I don't really see why you would need a bigger DP unless you are going to be drag racing and are upgrading turbos, changing fuel injectors etc.

The Spartan kit, for instance, comes with a DOC/DPF delete pipe that installs in place of the DPF/DOC. You can swap them back in a couple of hours with no problem. Careful with the pressure sensor, it is easy to break.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:27 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Andrew go with a S&B intake and keep the stock down pipe and then go with the DPF and CAT delete pipe that Riffraff Diesel sells and you will be golden my friend.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 AM
CT-FREESKIER
Freshman User
Yeah...i picked my kit up form dpfdeletekits.com and opted for the ceramic coated dpf/doc delete pipe. I am running both the banks intake and the cool duals...no problems at all and sounds great. Now seeing that you mentioned S&B i am assuming you are planning on getting the complete package from spartan. Everything there is perfect...but like i said i wanted the ceramic coating. The only other thing i could suggest is to look at the AFE filters.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:31 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CT-FREESKIER
Yeah...i picked my kit up form dpfdeletekits.com and opted for the ceramic coated dpf/doc delete pipe. I am running both the banks intake and the cool duals...no problems at all and sounds great. Now seeing that you mentioned S&B i am assuming you are planning on getting the complete package from spartan. Everything there is perfect...but like i said i wanted the ceramic coating. The only other thing i could suggest is to look at the AFE filters.
AFE filters flow less and cost more than S&B