1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Bled the slave cylinder, Now no clutch pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:28 PM
brc777
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well you must have been reading my mind :)

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your slave cylinder wow's. I hope I didn't bring bad luck your way.

To update my situation. It is 8:15 p.m. in Southern Mississippi and we just got finished installing a new slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing the whole nine yards. And you know what. You guessed it. Still no clutch.

But hopefully that will not be the case tommorrow. We just finished bolting up the tranny and attempted a first bleed of the clutch. Got late so we called it quits until tommorrow. My Dad has it gravity bleeding now.

I haven't got a chance to check the link you posted (which I trully appreciate). Maybe we will go that route.

I thought that it would be a complicated process. But with a few trips to Autozone to rent some specialty tools things went pretty smoothly (so far). Just glad we have a little shop to work in. But inside or out factor in the humidity it was triple digits down here in the deep South today.

I will check your link out tonight. I will keep you posted on our progress. Probably will need your help . Again sorry to hear about your slave cylinder. By the way how did you get it fixed and going?

Look forward to hearing from ya.

brc

Old 07-22-2010, 06:10 PM
brc777
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just Wanted To Say Thanks To Everyone.

Hi,

Just wanted to extend my appreciation to everyone who gave advice, links, instructions, and time to my situation.

To update:

We finally installed a new slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. Even after installing all new parts Sunday we could still not get any clutch pressure. We tried all of the poster's great advice. But all attempts failed. We finally just let the slave cylinder gravity bleed for about 48 hours. And we finally got a clutch.

It still isn't just right. But it shifts fine and my Dad took it to work today for the first time since the break down with no problems. Hope it will work itself out.

Thanks again,

brc

Old 03-27-2015, 08:41 AM
Brodmann
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've learned a great trick on YOUTUBE on bleeding the clutch system on these trucks. After spending days on my back bleeding the system and wearing out my son's knees pumping the pedal. And it only takes 5 minutes! Put some rags or paper towels on the floor of the truck under the clutch master cylinder. Get a pair of snap ring pliers (pretty cheap at any auto parts store and will save you about an hour!). Get under the dash and disconnect the switch on the clutch plunger that requires you to press the clutch to start the truck. Disconnect the clip that connects the pedal to the clutch master cylinder plunger rod. Remove the snap ring on the master cylinder. Slowly slide the piston out of the master cylinder until you start seeing brake fluid start coming out. That's it! Put it all back together and you will have a great pedal. The air gets trapped in the master cylinder due to the slant of the way it's mounted. When I did this, I had the piston almost all the way out and it took almost a full second before brake fluid starting running out. And immediately I had the best feeling clutch pedal I have ever had!

Old 03-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Well I posted here about 10-12 years ago how to bleed via the master from inside the vehicle, but anyhow based on experience if you did not change the master and it has miles on it plan on it going out near future. I have not had any luck with just changing 1 component. Changed the master, slave went out. Changed the slave, master went out, so now I recommend both be changed at same time. I get mine from autozone and they put a lifetime warranty on them yes its a PIA to change if they go bad but at least you no longer have a part cost associated. They have honored their warranties sever al time on various parts no questions asked. Just a thought.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:39 PM
ford fisherman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank85713
Well I posted here about 10-12 years ago how to bleed via the master from inside the vehicle, but anyhow based on experience if you did not change the master and it has miles on it plan on it going out near future. I have not had any luck with just changing 1 component. Changed the master, slave went out. Changed the slave, master went out, so now I recommend both be changed at same time. I get mine from autozone and they put a lifetime warranty on them yes its a PIA to change if they go bad but at least you no longer have a part cost associated. They have honored their warranties sever al time on various parts no questions asked. Just a thought.
After fighting this same problem, it is just easier to pull the master and bench bleed the thing and then reinstall. This was my experience. I tried the other methods first and they were a waist of time for me. My clutch is so dang hard it will wear you out in traffic. Good luck, not nearly as hard to pull it out the 2nd time.