6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

side effect of disconneting egr valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 PM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zmann
What are you reading your codes with?? my SCT wouldn't pull the codes but my insight and my A/E will pull them
I have an Insight also and I had it scanned by a the Ford computer by my tech buddy.

One final thought about tuners and tune writers; Since we are screwing around the truck's computers I thought it was very important to get a quality tuner (not a used one) and have the tunes written by someone with a proven track record. I did not want to try to save a few bucks and end up having bigger problems down the road. My tech buddy doesn't advocate tuners on the 6.0, but I was tired of the egr flow code and 21 psi of boost.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
jetact
Elder User
My tech buddy doesn't advocate tuners on the 6.0, but I was tired of the egr flow code and 21 psi of boost.[/quote]

Now is that because of the weak HG and bolts? I am putting in ARP headstuds and EGR delete so I will have a CEL problem and lower boost.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SCT canned and EGR control

Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
I just got of the phone with gearheads and they said that SCT used to provide a canned egr off option but now they have to do custom tunes, for whatever reason... The x3 is $349 and the custom tune is $150.
Ouch
I just got my SCT updated for the vcxf9 flash from SCT and I NOW have the EGR on or off option with the canned tunes. FYI

Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
cool! bout time they did that

,, I have the previous flash and no intention of moving to the 9

Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
why would a used tuner not be a quality one?
if you sold yours tommorow would it be questionable?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jetact
My tech buddy doesn't advocate tuners on the 6.0, but I was tired of the egr flow code and 21 psi of boost.
Now is that because of the weak HG and bolts? I am putting in ARP headstuds and EGR delete so I will have a CEL problem and lower boost.[/QUOTE]

That was why I asked Innovative about exchanging the economy mode for Ford's stock mode with the egr turned off. Although their tow mode doesn't increase HP and TQ insanely so I'm thinking it wouldn't be detrimental on the longevity of the head gaskets/bolts etc... But if concerned about affects of performance tunes, you could always just use the Ford stock tune w/ no egr read.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
well that is the thinking ,, but a good tune like Gearheads is aimed at being stock HG safe
He has more aggresive tunes for those running studs ,, as Does innovative I imagine
I personally would't want to drive this pig without a tune

Old 08-04-2010, 01:01 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Gearheads just returned my phone call from this morning. (I called to speak with the program writer while comparing) He told me that since I just received Ford's latest update flash two weeks ago, that he would have difficulty with writing my custom tune. He referred me to Elite Diesel in Colorado. Now I am awaiting a call back from them to see what they can do...
Oh why, oh why did I let Ford re-flash my computer. Oh well, I'm sure it's only a slight break in my stride.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 AM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is to bad.........

Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
Gearheads just returned my phone call from this morning. (I called to speak with the program writer while comparing) He told me that since I just received Ford's latest update flash two weeks ago, that he would have difficulty with writing my custom tune. He referred me to Elite Diesel in Colorado. Now I am awaiting a call back from them to see what they can do...
Oh why, oh why did I let Ford re-flash my computer. Oh well, I'm sure it's only a slight break in my stride.
Might want to rethink that..........

Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
not sure why they didn't get this fugured? that strategy has been out for a long time

were you dealing with MATT?

Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
mikewrt
Senior User
Is there a Ford software revision list in the tech folder I'm looking over? I'm trying to figure out what my engine and trans software calibrations do or don't do and compare them to the current release. Then weigh out if I want to get reflashed or not.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
do you know your strategy? I can read it for you if you need

have you seen AZPSG?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 AM
mikewrt
Senior User
Per a superchips flashpaq status screen. I'm running engine file VXAP1N6 and trans file TQAT0NA.

No, What is AZPSG?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 AM
dkhollins
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cheezit
this is fact and it is stated in the thread somewere If im not mistaken.
Cheezit,

You mentioned in post #21 that the P0401 code won't be thrown on an 03 truck. I have a Sinister installed with EGR still plugged in but still getting P0401.

Any clues on why this is happening on my 03 with a build date of 1/1/2003 or is this something you haven't confirmed yet?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Zmann
not sure why they didn't get this fugured? that strategy has been out for a long time

were you dealing with MATT?
No, it wasn't Matt. He asked me when the last time I had my truck reflashed and I told him that it was a couple of weeks ago. I was on hold for a minute or two and he came back and suggested that I call Elite Diesel in Colorado. I was asking for one of my custom tunes to be the Ford factory tune with the egr low flow feature turned off. I think he had been in contact with someone at Elite regarding this. Maybe the guy at Elite had already worked through this program or something. I think he just wasn't prepared for the particular tune I was requesting and sent me somewhere that was ready to provide. To me that is good service. Please don't misunderstand me, I wasn't trying to imply anything else.

Quick Reply: side effect of disconneting egr valve