6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fake burl wood

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:17 AM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fake burl wood

Is there anyone else who can't stand fake burl wood panels in the dashboards?

It is one of my pet peeves. Real burl wood is fine (but would cost a fortune). Real plastic is just fine too. But fake burl wood drives me crazy.

I ordered the Lariat Ultimate package and have the black interior an as I sit here waiting for my new truck, looking at the pretty pictures and the one of the dash with that faux poop colored panel just cheapens the whole look to me.

Is there anyone who knows of a company that fabricates carbon fiber replacement panels? I have seen a sticker type wrap that you can mask those panels with but real CF would be nice.

I rode in a buddy of mine's new Tarus SHO and the dash is done in a silver weave material that would look nice too.

I guess I could just spray paint it...

Old 02-19-2011, 06:33 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it would be pretty easy to take the panel off and work on it to make you happy. You could even get some real cherry wood and dig out the router, jig saw, and sander, a nice mahogany stain and gloss poly and make your own real dash panel. Would be fun.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited Edition dash panels?

Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM
jweidert
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I couldn't agree more on the fake wood comment and researched this the other evening. My searches only revealed some of the stick on kits in many different colors/flavors, which all say for 'non-wood' trim. I presume they say this because the fake kits don't cover 100% of the area, and if you have the wood, they would leave some showing through, which wouldn't look good.

Question, what does the XLT come with? Is it the same light grey "powder coat" material that appears on the dash sides and doors where the window controls are? I actually don't care for this look either, but it's better than the wood IMO. I wonder if you can order that from a dealer to at least get rid of the wood.

What's frustrating to me is that when you step into a F-150 (i.e. platinum), the fit and finish is so much better, and it directly addresses your concern with the wood. The F-150 has a much more classy/sporty look and feel to it with the full screen nav, dash/accent pices (little to no wood in some cases), ambient lighting, etc. I don't get why they don't take some of these great advancements that have been around for a few years in other similar class vehicles and offer it in the higher end model for the Super Duty.

I understand the Super Duty is considered to be more of a "work" truck than the F-150 line, but there are plenty of people who are after the higher end Lariat & King Ranch models who desire a more luxurious interior.

This is actually one of the elements I'm hoping is addressed in the '12s....a few subtle interior changes would go a long way.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the wood look trim in the 2011 trucks is very nice, my dads is way nicer then his 08 was.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:55 AM
DTex250
New User
I just came over from an 08 Toyota with the faux wood, talk about an eyesore! Every time I hop in my new Ford I get a big'o smile .. looks like a Bentley in comparison. I like the plastic Ford wood.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 AM
PITS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Adobe 11SD
Limited Edition dash panels?
Got pictures? or better yet, part numbers?

Without going back to the dealer, I think it is just the two pieces on either side of NAV screen with the vent holes. It may be a single piece with a skinny little divider between the two halves. I can't tell.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would like to see some aftermarket panels as well. The rest of the truck looks contemporary and the fake wood makes it look bland.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:22 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I can't stand that fake wood.
The XLT dash looks much better IMO.
What I don't know is if the outer part of the vents are chrome without the chrome package on the XLT.

Here is a picture I took the first day I had it (without the upfitters).

Old 02-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Most American luxury type vehicles use the same plastic faux wood panels. They don't bother me because that's the way the dash is supposed to look. It certainly would not influence me weather or not to buy the truck

Old 02-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Hogpauls
New User
Check this out -----> MAD Coatings - Woodgrain, carbon fibre and other decorative coating for dashboards, car interiors, boat trim, car renovation, Modicoat, Australia, interior decorating, modify
This looks to me as a viable alternative to the fake wood. Soon as I get my truck and figure out how to get the thing off it's going to the shop for a carbon fiber look. The only question is durability but from what I hear it stands up pretty well.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:09 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
I don't like the wood with the gray interior. Doesn't matck at all. Looks outta plce IMO.

Shane

Old 02-19-2011, 04:18 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
I can't stand that fake wood.
The XLT dash looks much better IMO.
What I don't know is if the outer part of the vents are chrome without the chrome package on the XLT.

Here is a picture I took the first day I had it (without the upfitters).

What is the other button beside the traction control button?

Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 PM
tbaker00
Senior User
The other button is for passenger airbag. Only equipped on the regular cab.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:51 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
What is the other button beside the traction control button?
It's just a notification light for the passenger air bag.

Originally Posted by tbaker00
The other button is for passenger airbag. Only equipped on the regular cab.
And extended cab.

Quick Reply: Fake burl wood