Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OPERATION BETTER MPG!!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
darthice
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
.54 for mine but i did the six litre tune up

Old 07-07-2010, 05:07 PM
teezy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darthice
.54 for mine but i did the six litre tune up

and what is the 6 liter tune up

Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
93MARKIII
Senior User
Originally Posted by teezy
and what is the 6 liter tune up
look at my sig, i think thats what he is getting at.....

thats the seafoam treatment....i did mine twice just cause the neighbors enjoyed it so much the first time

change all fluids and filters......dont forget the pcv filter

bump the timing to 14-16 btdc......i staid at 14ish, i had a tad spark knock under load any higher, but i think i have a vacuum leak somewhere......

and upgrade that ignition, dont cheap out on the plug wires, you need some good ones to handle the extra voltage.....

gap the plugs to 53-55 and take her for a spin.......i gapped at 53 since i had to back down the timing a bit...not sure if that helped or was needed, just made sense to me......

right now im getting about 16.2 mpg in the city......highway isnt fully tested yet, but im estimating around 23-24mpg at 70mph.....

im running what my truck came stock with.....275/60/15 firestones, with a 308 reaer end and an e40d tranny.....

the original owner of my truck (im the 2nd) baby'ed her and kept the fluids changed religiously......but never did so much as a spark plug change in the 17 years he had her.......she was 100% original untouched.......

her starting mileage before my upgrades were 11 in the city and about 17 on the highway....so my improvements were dramatic to say the least

with the tires im running,my tranny, and my rear end, im taching 2000rpm at 80mph

Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ok, the way that i do it is remove the intake tubes, wires, and vacuum lines from your throttle body (but keep track of where everything goes) and it is four nuts (I think that they are sae rather than metric for some weird reason) the tps sensor is on the bottom of the throttle body at the end of the shaft, it is held on by two screws.

if you loosen those screws you will find that thier respective holes are slotted.

now, with the sensor still connected take your trusty multimeter and hook the neg to a good ground, take a small safety pin and push it through the green wire going to the tps, which you will connect the positive lead of your meter to. turn on your ignition but don't start the engine. adjust the tps untill your reading is as close to 0.99 volts without going over. when you get it, and i have seen a few that have needed the slots "expanded" a bit, tighten it down and its set. make sure that when you pull the safety pin out take some silicone and seal up the hole, otherwise it will lead to a headache in the future (I have made a "breakout" harness from some junkyard parts that works great if you want to put the effort into it)

now would be a great time to clean the throttle body and egr of excess carbon.

i forgot that yours would have the e4od, my bad...

the 130 alternator is a great idea, mostly cause it sounds like your alternator isn't doing to great. just make sure you run a bigger charge wire

here is yet another link to save my fingers some work, but for side gapped plugs.Performance Unlimited 4-Wheel & Off Road Center - Hartford, Wisconsin - USA Technical Documents
the only thin that i do different is that the end of my ground straps are U-shaped on the sides and cover about half of the center electrode. the gap really depends on the condition of the vehicle. the more power or the weaker the ignition is the tighter the gap has to be. something to play around with. I think that my 88 is set around .055, with a hot coil i have ran my highboy over .070, gotta love compression in the 8's(not)

you could also index the plugs, but i would save that for later when after seeing improvements you start getting obsessive about mileage...

as far as the tires go, me and my pops (who runs 300 miles on the highway nightly in an e150) have always done it that way with no adverse effects. many of time with more weight than what it should have had. and if you read the sidewall it says max cold pressure, but do what you want, im just telling you what i have done.

pinto, I would honestly recommend shorties cause it would be so much easier to deal with. my buddies 89 had long tubes when he got it, and the guy didn't even have o2 sensors in it! I built him a wiring extension so we could put one at the end of the header! plus with shorties you could get an off-the-shelf exhaust and it would all bolt right up. dont get me wrong, the longtube on my capri look like a bowl of spaghetti and i love them, but if your not gonna be pushing much more power than bolt ons, i dont see it being worth the hassle.

I also agree on the 302 liking it around 2000rpm

can i also brag that my 88 has no problem getting 18 on average (about 21 at 65 mph) with smog pump, both cats, etc. it has a k&n and an electric fan. and I have a 6 percent grade just to get to town!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:12 PM
93MARKIII
Senior User
i think its funny all these old vehicles getting as good or sometimes better then the new fuel efficient stuff being put out today......

now if someone up in washington would man up and force fuel vapor technology we could all be getting 40+ mpg

Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yeah i can't wait to see what my falcon will get! I think that fuel mileage would be easier if emission laws weren't so tough, along with the fact that people wont sacrifice any power or any of the fancy stuff.

I'm aiming for my bronco's average to be closer to 25.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
93MARKIII
Senior User
Originally Posted by muscletruck7379
yeah i can't wait to see what my falcon will get! I think that fuel mileage would be easier if emission laws weren't so tough, along with the fact that people wont sacrifice any power or any of the fancy stuff.

I'm aiming for my bronco's average to be closer to 25.
i get what your saying....my out look on that is that if they simply went for fuel mileage, then the emissions would be lower by proxy, maybe even lower then what we have now with all the emissions crap on them.....and it would be better for everyone involved....except the oil companies that is......

Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM
93MARKIII
Senior User
it was exxon if im not mistaken that killed gas vapor technology....that in itself with no other changes would increase the average mpg to around 40+......im no math teacher, but wouldnt that mean a 75% reduction in emissions if you were getting 10mpg to start with and driving habits stayed the same

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 AM
CHELLIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by 93MARKIII
i think its funny all these old vehicles getting as good or sometimes better then the new fuel efficient stuff being put out today......

now if someone up in washington would man up and force fuel vapor technology we could all be getting 40+ mpg
Now your talking Fuel Vapor, Hydrogen generators, water mist injection, I love it, I bought a 1985 F250 with a 460 eng to test a 5 Liter per min hyd fuel cell, while towing a 30 ft 5th wheel trailer, the truck will get a hyd fuel cell and water mist injection, the water mister will be on the top of the air cleaner lid, I have been involved with HHO for over 5 years, and have doubled the mileage on some of my vehicles at cruise speeds, wish me luck Chellie

YouTube - HEC1 @ 5LPM - THE MOST EFFICIENT HHO GENERATOR AVAILABLE

Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 AM
CHELLIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by 93MARKIII
it was exxon if im not mistaken that killed gas vapor technology....that in itself with no other changes would increase the average mpg to around 40+......im no math teacher, but wouldnt that mean a 75% reduction in emissions if you were getting 10mpg to start with and driving habits stayed the same
i belive the gas companies have added a additive so the gasoline does not evaporate like it used to to foil the vapor guys, but, if you add 2 oz of pure acetone to 10 gals of gasoline, it back to where it should be

Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by jade79
There are many things you can do to increase fuel mileage. The problem is, you have to judge if the trouble and expense of doing them will be worth a small increase in mileage. You can end up spending more than what you will be saving. I don't think our trucks are going to get great gas mileage unless they're pushed down hill with the engine off. My 95 gets worse mileage than my 79, and the 79 doesn't even have efi or overdrive and the 95 just recently had a tune up including a new O2 sensor.

Regardless, here are some more tips / suggestions.

Make it as light as possible ( within safety and reason)
replace step bumper w/ filler panel (if legal)
replace tailgate w/ cargo net
remove rear seat
run a taller / narrower tire
dyno tune for best mpg
program trans (automatic) for earlier up shifts and converter lockup
accelerate like grandpa
decelerate like a tractor trailer (off the throttle way early)
I desagree with the cargo net and taller skinnier tires. The taller tires affect the gear ratio in the wrong direction. Making it lighter will help, but I don't think most people will want to remove the rear seat or bumper.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by pintoches
Are shorties better than long tubes ?
It depends by what you mean by better. Long tubes function better. However shorties mate up to the factory Y pipe and don't require exhaust modification. I think on a stock motor I would stick with shorties.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by teezy
Ok I got some stuff for saturday

autolite copper plugs
seafoam
belt to bypass the smog pump 915PK6 and remove all its crap. The stock belt is is 99 inches long and the new belt is 91.5 inches long.

Im gonna gut the cat closest to the motor and remove the back cat replacing it with straight pipe. Im gonna install a dynomax turbo muffler and stock tailpipe.
That should work well. What size pipe. Good choice on the muffler.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:02 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by darthice
I use regular unleaded with my timing advanced to 14* BTDC. It works out good for me I just gotta fab up my egr valve to work.
I don't see how having the timing advanced to 14 doesn't ping on 87 octane. All the Fords I have had would ping on 87 with the stock timing. This was my 89 Mustang LX 2.3, My old 95 F150 4.9, and my current 95 F150 5.0. I always used 89 in all of them. The pinging was the most noticable on the highway with the AC on.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:02 AM
teezy
Junior User
How big are the dual tanks? I thought I read somewhere the from was 16.5 and rear 18.5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OPERATION BETTER MPG!!