Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharged 4.9L 300

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:49 AM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitesaber
Your precise specs are as follows for the T3...

T3-S60 (Garret)- Compressor: Inducer (in) 1.900
(mm)48.260
Exducer (in) 2.367
(mm)60.122
Trim 64

Since its a 1994 its model number should be WH1C or HX35 (8 Blade). Compressor wheel on both is 56mm/83mm, both compressor outlets are 2.5"vband, Compressor connection on WH1C is a Large V-Band Clamp, on HX35 its a Large Interna C-Clip. Both turbine connections are bolted. Turbine size of both is 12cm^2. Maybe that helps a bit, was doing some research and came across that info of exact measurements from Mopar and Dodge.

Forgot to add that 12cm^2 equals 0.89 A/R
thanks i didnt think i did the math or anything right.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
What do you mean by DD?

Also what would be the advantage of 2 smaller vs. 1 large? and if you are having head work done, why not look at getting new rockers and maybe even sleeving the block to get a better compression and piston wont move as much thus being able to push a little more PSI, also if you 0 out the head(also shave, etc) you can get a better compression and allow the piston to flow up and down better allowing more air into chamber etc.

And the fuel injection system is pretty sweet. It is on its way as we speak. 2 throttle bodies, 3 fuel pumps, 2 internals and an external just incase one fails! lol, i have new injectors, new manifold, new headers. Gonna add a Flowmaster super 44 set, tru dual rails coming out in front of tires. Its gonna be sweet. I am talking to a company right now about making me a custom aluminum head. They make one now for 4.9L but has no coolant channels so i couldnt dream of driving it lmao.

I am also talking to my local mechanic and he might have a flow machine up state at a private racing facility that i can use to make sure what ever work i do to my head i get proper flow through all ports, intakes, etc. Thus equalizing ALL air flow equaling about a 5% gain all around because of the equilibrium it has.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:24 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
What do you mean by DD?

Also what would be the advantage of 2 smaller vs. 1 large? and if you are having head work done, why not look at getting new rockers and maybe even sleeving the block to get a better compression and piston wont move as much thus being able to push a little more PSI, also if you 0 out the head(also shave, etc) you can get a better compression and allow the piston to flow up and down better allowing more air into chamber etc.

And the fuel injection system is pretty sweet. It is on its way as we speak. 2 throttle bodies, 3 fuel pumps, 2 internals and an external just incase one fails! lol, i have new injectors, new manifold, new headers. Gonna add a Flowmaster super 44 set, tru dual rails coming out in front of tires. Its gonna be sweet. I am talking to a company right now about making me a custom aluminum head. They make one now for 4.9L but has no coolant channels so i couldnt dream of driving it lmao.

I am also talking to my local mechanic and he might have a flow machine up state at a private racing facility that i can use to make sure what ever work i do to my head i get proper flow through all ports, intakes, etc. Thus equalizing ALL air flow equaling about a 5% gain all around because of the equilibrium it has.
By DD i mean daily driver. having one smaller turbo and one bigger turbo would have and advantage bacause there would be little to no lag. the small turbo will spool at lower RPMs and when the smaller turbo is no longer pushing more CFM the larger turbo would be spooled up and pick up where the smaller one left off.

One of the reasons im not pulling the block apart is because it only has 3k on the rebuild and im not ready to pull it apart just yet. i want to do the head and other stuff and see where that gets me then do the transmission and rearend and get it ready for more power. i know what head your talking about its that drag racing one from Allan johnson.

Im looking forward to seeing how you do your fuel set up i know mine will only be good for alittle bit longer and then i too will need to upgrade. i do have a question are you doing a traditional turbo set up or are you doing a remote mount also? the reason i ask is i dont have mufflers on mine and its not loud at all its got a good sound to it.

The head that your wanting the company to build will it be a cross flow head or will it be like the one we have now were the intake and exhaust is on the same side?

Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Originally Posted by mcpaul05
I do have a question are you doing a traditional turbo set up or are you doing a remote mount also? the reason i ask is i dont have mufflers on mine and its not loud at all its got a good sound to it.
I am looking at installing it inside my glove box actually, the turbo itself and have a pipe out for waste gate and what not. Im not sure yet but it would allow for the COOLEST air possible with a/c(max a/c) on to go into motor, unless its RLY cold out but FL(like it ever gets cold here lmao) I was thinking about doing traditional as well, if i went traditional i would move ECU, intake will b gone with new system so no worrys there, i would also move radiator resivoir/ wipre fluid container, move battery back and put that there, and mount my turbo away from block in the space where stock filter box is. and run pipe down running along the radiator, cut across and straight into exhaust. I think glove box might b best tho since it will always stay cool, but what did you mean by putting a snorkel on yours so it didnt suck water.. I was confused at why you need one.

Originally Posted by mcpaul05
The head that your wanting the company to build will it be a cross flow head or will it be like the one we have now were the intake and exhaust is on the same side?
\

Most likely cross flow, much more effcient and can do alot more with it as to modifieing as my needs for power increase! lol. To be honest if they made an inline cross flow head as cast iron i would still buy it. It allows SOOOOOOOO much more flow and just better over all. Least thats my opinion. Do you disagree? if so why?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
I am looking at installing it inside my glove box actually, the turbo itself and have a pipe out for waste gate and what not. Im not sure yet but it would allow for the COOLEST air possible with a/c(max a/c) on to go into motor, unless its RLY cold out but FL(like it ever gets cold here lmao) I was thinking about doing traditional as well, if i went traditional i would move ECU, intake will b gone with new system so no worrys there, i would also move radiator resivoir/ wipre fluid container, move battery back and put that there, and mount my turbo away from block in the space where stock filter box is. and run pipe down running along the radiator, cut across and straight into exhaust. I think glove box might b best tho since it will always stay cool, but what did you mean by putting a snorkel on yours so it didnt suck water.. I was confused at why you need one.

\

Most likely cross flow, much more effcient and can do alot more with it as to modifieing as my needs for power increase! lol. To be honest if they made an inline cross flow head as cast iron i would still buy it. It allows SOOOOOOOO much more flow and just better over all. Least thats my opinion. Do you disagree? if so why?
that is an interesting idea with the glove box but im not to sure how that would work and that would put alot of heat into the cab. you would be better off under the hood or under the bed where i have mine. the exhaust side needs heat to work its best. if your worried about under hood temps then get a turbo wrap from DEI. If you do go with a cross flow head then you can just put it on the exhaust side because since the intake isnt on that side also you will have alot more room and not have to worry about heat soaking the intake.

I agree with a crossflow head being better there is alot more that you can do with it. From the sounds of what your trying todo all there will be left of the stock 4.9 is the block itself. I really look forward to seeing how your project turns out. this next weekend all my pipe should be in so i can weld in the external wastegate then ill try to get it to the dyno the next week so im hoping in two weeks ill have new numbers and pics up on my cardomains site and maybe even a video or two when the new Go Pro camera comes in.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:47 PM
chevyassasin
Junior User
sweeet. i'm thinking of a mustang turbo kit on my 5.0, eed the money first though lol

Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Haha.. bro, 5.0 is good if you want what everyone else has.. gl on kit tho, happy to help if you need it but 5.0 dont belong with this 4.9L thread.. , sorry just sayin my mind lol.

instead on under bead or under hood, have u thought about actually inside the bed and u can make it look cool with stacks.. , could b one bad AZZ intake there... have one stack as normal intake and other one for turbo and u can make the waste gate out bottom once its underneath car. Sounds pretty cool but idk how it would work, i like the style but i have a sinlge cab short bed and might look funny on my truck lol, b cool for a larger truck.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Haha.. bro, 5.0 is good if you want what everyone else has.. gl on kit tho, happy to help if you need it but 5.0 dont belong with this 4.9L thread.. , sorry just sayin my mind lol.

instead on under bead or under hood, have u thought about actually inside the bed and u can make it look cool with stacks.. , could b one bad AZZ intake there... have one stack as normal intake and other one for turbo and u can make the waste gate out bottom once its underneath car. Sounds pretty cool but idk how it would work, i like the style but i have a sinlge cab short bed and might look funny on my truck lol, b cool for a larger truck.
I dont want to put it in the bed i still use the truck to haul my dirt bikes and stuff. I like where it is now you really have to look for the thing. its funny when people know its turbocharged and i open the hood and they start looking for it. then i tell them its in front of the right rear tire and they look at me like im messing with them.

I just got my Cat delete pipe in today im hoping that i will have time this weekend to weld on the external wastegate and get it to the tuner next week.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Awesome, if you can, could you scan or take picture of dyno results and post it on here just so i can see and compare it to mine as i tune it. The fuel injection system i have allows me to see the fuel to air mixture to PSI and they said there is a math formula that you can put in it if you know how to program and it tricks it into giving you dyno results.. wierd but sounds kool lol

Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
You ever get the video of dyno test done? i was looking forward to the results.. i just got my fuel injection system in and starting to get other parts such as headers, gettin a new head worked on, getting exhaust mounted once headers come in, i am also adding a new manifold, and once i get my DOUBLE throttle system mounted i will figure out how i am going to hook up my turbo, because i might go and get cervini's forced induction hood or find a hood for our truck that is an induction hood, but im debating still on that remote mount and debating on doing a cool induction system like the stacks still.. i honestly dnt know yet. Its still in planning for turbo and mounting. I know what i want just have to go out and get it.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
I still havent had a chance things keep coming up and we just had a bad snow storm here in OK so im hoping with in a week or two. sorry its taking so long. thats awesome you got some of your parts in. Im looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Build is on hold while i start getting into college. I am going for an engineering program and the college i am going to has a HUGE shop. Have a baha club for building baha vehicles so i can get support and what not. But i need to concentrate on getting in and than i will continue with my project. But when ever you get a chance i would love to see a video, like a walk around, rev sound and a race cam of you taking it out or something and dyno results. Would be nice to have something i can compare to besides still pictures. Ill be posting once i start head work. Im going to junk yard becuase thats the easy part. Shaving, porting, smoothing takes no time and its an easy in home project. rest will take hours of labor and time inside my truck i dont have right now. So look foward to hearing from you on your progress!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Where did you run your wires for the tach? i am adding mine and a bunch of people are saying run it through the dash to the back of my cluster.. that is so much time for that. Where is there a hole in the firewall i can push the wires through? should be easier and safer.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 PM
mr_malina
Senior User
Where did you run your wires for the tach? i am adding mine and a bunch of people are saying run it through the dash to the back of my cluster.. that is so much time for that. Where is there a hole in the firewall i can push the wires through? should be easier and safer.
Pull back the carpet neat the drivers feet (firewall), there is a few rubber grommets that you can poke a hole in to run the wire.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 AM
mcpaul05
Junior User
I have an update for the truck. After months of cold weather and recovery from ankle surgery. About a week ago I lost compresson on the number 3 cylinder come to find out the seat on the exhaust valve was worn just enough not to seal. so i sent the head off for a valve job to include a three angle cut and to have it recerficed. I should have the head back in the morning. While the truck was down i port matched the upper and lower intake manifolds, and fitted my 351 throttle body to the intake. The block receved head studs and will have felpros race only head gasket. Also electric cooling fans have been added to take some of the stress off the motor with turning the clutch driven fan. I have noticed a difference in how quickly the truck revs now. The EGR system has been removed and the air pump system also. The cats have been removed to make the exhaust more free flowing for the turbo. I have also added an external wastegate and permently shut the factory internal wastegate that was on the turbo. the trubo is also a new unit same type just new the old one blew its seals. I should have it back on the dyno next week and will post the new numbers along with updating the pictures on my cardomain page to show what all has been done. The blow off valve was also upgraded to an HKS sequential.

Quick Reply: Turbocharged 4.9L 300