Sponsored by: DP Tuner

well guys ive made my decision

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:28 PM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
well guys ive made my decision

I know this is a little off topic but just wanted to let you gys know.

I finished out my year at Penn State and decided that i cant take another year of it. I really want to be a paid firefighter, so was looking at HACC (harrisburg Community College) It is about 5k for a semester and i would need 4 semesters worth to get my degree. It just isnt going to happen with the way money is coming in right now

Alot of you know i have been toying with the idea of airforce..well i think that is what i am going to do.

does anyone have any things i should do when talking to the recruiter?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:43 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Haven't heard from yaa in a while Philip but good luck bud, heres a bump.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:01 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Congrats on your decision. Very fitting considering what day it is. Also, thank you for doing this.

Do you have any specific issues you're wondering about, or just general advice when talking to the recruiter? Have you spoken with the recruiter already?

A recruiter can only promise you so many things, other than that, he can just try and help you the best he can. If you really want to be a fire fighter, is that what you're going to pursue in the Air Force?

Old 07-04-2010, 08:42 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations on your decision. You will be a better person for it. As far as what to do when talking to the recruiter, get everything in writing. The AF may not follow what has been written but at least you can wave the paper in their face. Documetation is very valuable.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:59 AM
flatbeder
Posting Guru
Congrtas on your decision, May you serve our country proudly! I wish you all the best myfriend! On my own personal note I regret to this day not serving atleast 4yrs in any branch of the service. Sorry for hijack..

Old 07-05-2010, 01:01 AM
sealboy84
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Congrats on your decision. Very fitting considering what day it is. Also, thank you for doing this.

A recruiter can only promise you so many things, other than that, he can just try and help you the best he can. If you really want to be a fire fighter, is that what you're going to pursue in the Air Force?
That is great decision. And I'll throw my thanks in there as well.

Actually I'll go a different direction than Chris and say that the recruiter will promise you anything. Make sure you know what MOS you want and don't let them talk you into anything else; 99% of recruiters are great and will work with you but there is that 1% that wants to get your name on the dotted line.

Congratulations again.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:07 AM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
thanks for all the kind words guys. i makes me feel alot better.

and Chris - i am pursuing the firefighting thing. i herd they have something for it and was interested in it. going to do some reading up tomorrow and hopefully talk to my neighbor about it. then go ahead and call the recruiter. just want to know my stuff before he comes.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:54 AM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck and just be sure that when you sign the papers it is for the job you want. Don't do what I did and listen to them. I wanted to go in the auto pilot, fixing jets. they told me it was full but if i went in OPEN electronics and I put that down as my 1st choice I should get it. They gave me Missile maintenance in the silo's of North Dakota which wasn't even on MY list.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 PM
RFD_Truckie
Senior User
Phillip, Glad to hear you made a descision. Having been a career firefighter for the last 8 years I wouldnt change it for the world. Its the best job out there. If you have any questions about the process of getting hired, shoot me a PM and I will do my best to help you out.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Mark250
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
As someone who was in the USAF for 12 years, I think this is a good decision. I was young & ready to get out of the house, so I just went in "open general", which means basically the first job opening that comes along. My suggestion is to decide which AFSC you want to pursue, & get this in writing. It may mean that you have to wait for awhile until an opening comes along. I would also try to go into a job that transfers well into the civilian world, which a firefighter would. Best wishes.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Mark250
As someone who was in the USAF for 12 years, I think this is a good decision. I was young & ready to get out of the house, so I just went in "open general", which means basically the first job opening that comes along. My suggestion is to decide which AFSC you want to pursue, & get this in writing. It may mean that you have to wait for awhile until an opening comes along. I would also try to go into a job that transfers well into the civilian world, which a firefighter would. Best wishes.
Great advice, I was a damage controlman (firefighter) in the Navy for 4 years. I went in with that designation, and went through the Navy firefighting schools. It was a great/fun job.
I had the intention of pursuing firefighting as a career when I got out, but life lead me down a different road.
I wish I had stuck with it....or made a career out of the Navy, I could be retired now
Best of luck to ya, you wont regret the service.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:32 PM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
guys i really apprechiate the advice

Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 PM
bigdummyford
Senior User
I am an Army recruiter, I can tell you what the Army asks and offers

Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, being AF myself, I think you've chosen the right branch. If you already have a good bit of college, you could go officer too. there are alot of programs that you can apply for if you have two years of college. More $$$ too. I have been thinking about transitioning from enlisted to officer for a while now, but don't have much time to go to school while having a family. Like it's been stated before, get everything in writing. Do some research on the different jobs and talk to people. one benefit of being in the Air Force is you do not deploy as much or for extended periods of time depending on the job you get into. I'm not sure how it works for the firedawgs. I'm in communications and like it alot and i'll easily be able to get a decent job when i get out. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer any of them. It's a big decision, so take your time and make the right choice for yourself.