1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Why does my truck not smoke?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Log the ICP, injector duty cycle and pulsewidth, rpm, and throttle. Get out on the highway in top gear then just floor it and accelerate until it stops going faster. You will be looking to see how much ICP you get and how long it holds it before falling off. Might want to log manifold pressure while you are at it.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a gray cps in the engine? The gray one tends to screw with readings on cylinder 3 and 8, its a known issue.

I usually log the following: Vehicle power voltage, Injector Control Pressure, injector ctrl pres DC, Engine RPM, Fuel Injector Pulse Width, Exhaust Back pressure, Vehicle Speed. Those are the way they're listed for my truck in AE, it might be slightly different for yours.

ICP is the injector pressures from the HPOP and the IPR (injector control pressure DC% reading) is what regulates that pressure. Log a few seconds at idle, another log driving normal, and one where you're driving nice and then hammer on it. That will give us an idea of how the HPOP is keeping up with things.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Trevor do you have any saved data logs where you recorded back pressure and manifold pressure at the same time? I am trying to help Del out with his 2003 lawn ornament. I could log those on mine but I don't have a stock turbo. Sorry for the derail.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:22 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
I am not sure which CPS is in the truck at this time. I have a new one ordered that is supposed to be the improved one. They are easy to change so I will swap it out when I get it next week.

I was looking at some of the things that AE could tell me about the fuel system and found that it reads the fuel pressure to be 0 all of the time. Is this something that is normal and just not information available on our vehicles or do I have a bad (or disconnected) sensor?

I found that I have a fuel leak after I changed the filter that was not there before, so I am going to have to get that taken care of before I do anything else. It only seems to leak after (during/) I have been driving and not at idle, so it may be something else leaking, but it was not there before I changed the filter. After I get that fixed, I'll log some of the parameters that have been suggested to see what they say.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:37 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mike, I'll have to dig through my logging laptop. I remember doing a few runs with that but can't remember if I save the files.

The 7.3 does not have a fuel pressure sensor, so it will always read 0. That parameter is for the gassers, as are some of the other ones. Another one that won't work if you have an auto is the engine coolant temp, but it should show true readings with your 6 speed.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:10 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
Well, I have played with the AE for a little bit. The ICP ranges from about 550 at idle to 2500 at 3000 rpm. It seems to vary based on a combination of RPM and throttle position. Also, I wrote down the codes that it comes up with. They are:

P0750 Shift Solenoid A
P0755 Shift Solenoid B
P0742 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical
P1754 Coast Clutch Solenoid Circuit
P1747 Pressure Control Solenoid A Short Circuit
P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit
P0541 Air Intake Heater A Circuit Low

The last one is because of the AIH Delete, but I am not sure what the other ones mean, especially the P0742. If anyone has any ideas what I need to do to fix these, let me know.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2010, 03:38 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
One thing that I noticed on the data logging is that the fuel injector pulse width never gets above 4 ms (range 0 to 524.28) and that is only when the RPMs are low and accelerator is WOT (74%). Idle is 0.6 ms. Most values are in the range of 2.5 to 3 ms. Does this seem normal?

Old 07-04-2010, 04:28 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WilsonTaylor
Well, I have played with the AE for a little bit. The ICP ranges from about 550 at idle to 2500 at 3000 rpm. It seems to vary based on a combination of RPM and throttle position. Also, I wrote down the codes that it comes up with. They are:

P0750 Shift Solenoid A
P0755 Shift Solenoid B
P0742 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical
P1754 Coast Clutch Solenoid Circuit
P1747 Pressure Control Solenoid A Short Circuit
P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit
P0541 Air Intake Heater A Circuit Low

The last one is because of the AIH Delete, but I am not sure what the other ones mean, especially the P0742. If anyone has any ideas what I need to do to fix these, let me know.

Thanks
That does not look very good. I would inspect that large electrical plug and wires on the drivers side of transmission. Mark K. is the local trans. expert, maybe he will chime in. I would clear the codes and see which ones come back.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:11 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
I have cleared the codes. All of the codes come back immediately except P1747 and P0720. Those come back after I have driven the truck.

I'll look at the plug and see if I see anything amiss.

Thanks.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
are you using the pcm that came with the truck or that came with the new engine.
my thoughts are maybe u have a automatic pcm in your manual truck. it may work because its telling the trans to do things that it cant do but a auto truck with manual pcm wouldnt ever get instructions from the pcm and not work

Old 07-04-2010, 06:46 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rat49f6
are you using the pcm that came with the truck or that came with the new engine.
my thoughts are maybe u have a automatic pcm in your manual truck. it may work because its telling the trans to do things that it cant do but a auto truck with manual pcm wouldnt ever get instructions from the pcm and not work

I think you might be on to something here. I didn't snap that he had a manual transmission.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:48 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
Grant,

I went out to look at the tranny, but I did not find a plug on the drivers side. Do you know of a picture that would show it? About a 1 1/2 years ago, a stray dog was trying to kill my cat who hid in my engine compartment. The dog tore out a bunch of the wiring from underneath the truck, my ABS sensor and brake line on the drivers side. He also tore up my Jeep and my wife's car. All total, he did over $3000 worth of damage to my vehicles. (Needless to say, if I had realized what had happened, I would have killed the @!#& thing, but I guess someone took him to the pound before that happened.) There were a bundle of 4 wires from that area that I never could find out where they went. I could not find a connector, but they probably would have gone to the tranny. Now all I need to do is find something to tell me where to re-connect them.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2010, 06:51 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
Originally Posted by rat49f6
No, I am using the original PCM. I did not get the PCM with the engine. I did not think that I would need it.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:03 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
I did not snap that you had a manual transmission. I think Jim nailed it. Those codes look like something from an auto but not an expert. I would get in touch with DP. You don't have the same wiring as an auto....sorry for the wild goose chase.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:44 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
The receipt I got with my DP-tuner says that my vehicle is a 1999 F250 A/T with 6637, 4" Exhaust, Gauges, 6.0L IC, JW VB, 35" tires. Well, that obviously is wrong, so I have emailed DP-tuner to see if that might be the problem. At least if it is the problem, then it will be easy to fix. I'm considering pulling the chip and putting the Bully-Dog back, clearing the codes and see if that makes any difference on the codes. I think I'll wait until at least tomorrow to see if I hear from DP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why does my truck not smoke?