Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Nameless Project - 1995 Ford F150

Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
big-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant future
Sounds like you had crappy luck with the taps, sorry to hear that. Next time you weld on those, maybe try stuffing some soaked rags in there first? I don't know if it will help, but it might keep the inside cool enough to keep the threads from warping. Or use less heat

Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 PM
gijoe4500
Junior User
gijoe4500 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by big-ugly View Post
Sounds like you had crappy luck with the taps, sorry to hear that. Next time you weld on those, maybe try stuffing some soaked rags in there first? I don't know if it will help, but it might keep the inside cool enough to keep the threads from warping. Or use less heat
yea. I couldn't find anyone local that had the taps, so I just bought my own. Should ship out soon, and will hopefully be here before I leave for work again. I just welded them a little too hot. Rookie mistake. I'm still a noob welder, so I'm just chalking this one up to a live and learn situation.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:28 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
big-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant future
You did just fine welding those. Just remember, the heat travels with the weld, and will always get hotter towards the end of the weld. When I weld pipe I like to tack it in four spots, equal distance apart. Then I weld from one tack to another, then jump to the other side and weld the opposite side. Then I connect the two beads at the farthest end from where I just finished, and then finish off connecting the beads at the other end. I hope that made some sense to you, it is just my way of keeping the heat disapated throughout the metal, and helps prevent warping. I know one continuous bead is stronger, but this way works just fine for me, and I have never had any issues.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 PM
gijoe4500
Junior User
You did just fine welding those. Just remember, the heat travels with the weld, and will always get hotter towards the end of the weld. When I weld pipe I like to tack it in four spots, equal distance apart. Then I weld from one tack to another, then jump to the other side and weld the opposite side. Then I connect the two beads at the farthest end from where I just finished, and then finish off connecting the beads at the other end. I hope that made some sense to you, it is just my way of keeping the heat disapated throughout the metal, and helps prevent warping. I know one continuous bead is stronger, but this way works just fine for me, and I have never had any issues.
Yeah. It makes sense. I thought about doing that, and had planned on it... but when I started welding it... things were just going soooo smooth. lol

Plus, start/stops like that with a stick welder are a pain in the ***. Having to clean slag, back-gouge the welds, etc.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by gijoe4500 View Post
Yeah. It makes sense. I thought about doing that, and had planned on it... but when I started welding it... things were just going soooo smooth. lol

Plus, start/stops like that with a stick welder are a pain in the ***. Having to clean slag, back-gouge the welds, etc.
I didn't realize you were stick welding these, cudos to you my friend! Your right, it is a pain in the ***, but sometimes well worth it. Could have saved you the $$$ on the tap set and time of getting it here

Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM
gijoe4500
Junior User
I didn't realize you were stick welding these, cudos to you my friend! Your right, it is a pain in the ***, but sometimes well worth it. Could have saved you the $$$ on the tap set and time of getting it here
How so? i live in texas. a long *** way away from you. lol

Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
I don't mean borrowing my set, I mean by ordering it and waiting for the set to arrive.