6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Stock vs Aftermarket Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:53 PM
drh1175
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock vs Aftermarket Air Filters

I have read that the stock Air Filters are just as good as aftermarkets on this engine. With that in mind what about the Elements themselves. Are K&N or other reusables better than the paper oem filters?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by drh1175
I have read that the stock Air Filters are just as good as aftermarkets on this engine. With that in mind what about the Elements themselves. Are K&N or other reusables better than the paper oem filters?
Better? As in better filtration? Or better as in more flow? Or better as in cheaper?

Okay, I'm just being a smartass, but I don't think there is anything measurably better than the Donaldson in filtration or price, and flow just isn't an issue. You can get the Donaldson in a genuine Motorcraft, with synthetic media (my preference) or you can get one also by Donaldson sold as Primeguard with paper media for slightly less money. Either way, right around $50.

Considering that you might only need 4 of those filters over the life of your truck, I don't think it is worth looking at anything else.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:56 PM
blowhole
Senior User
Stock! Like bpounds eluded to!

Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My op. get the blue filter. It's synthetic and doesn't absorb water. Esp. valuable if you live in an area that gets heavy rain.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:27 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock is 99% efficient and flows and *** load of air. stick with stock.

If you really want AM then get S&B. They have the highest filter % out of any AM air filter for our truck

Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
we all forgot about the stock filter can saftly hold up to 3lbs of dirt before it has to be changed, thats a lot of dirt.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drh1175
I would think that if you read that stock is atleast as good as a/m that would also include the element itself as that is a big thing on how well the intake will do.

Like everyone here has already posted, keep it stock. There are really only two legitimate reasons for doing the a/m intake:

1. Because you think it looks cool(and maybe sound cool)

2. Able to be cleaned and used again.

2 may or may not be a good reason, it just depends on the working environment the truck is in. Which for the most part wouldn't be a concern for average truck owning joe nowadays(considering who is buying these trucks now versus who used to). That really leaves number 1, but that is strictly a matter of preferance.

Some things were actually done correctly from the factory(who knew). It is just hard to people out of the mentality that a/m is better then stock. That even doesn't apply to radios now in my opinion. The radio that's in my 150 is better then most of the radios that I've seen in the a/m sector. Certainly blows away the radio that's in my DRW.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Cheezit: didn't forget; just got beaten to the punch. Three POUNDS is a LOT of dirt.

Oiled filters should NEVER be used with a MAF meter; the filter oil coats and biases the sensor too far out of bounds.

IMNSHO, the primary purpose of CAI's is to lighten the wallet, not improve the vehicle's performance. I did some research for a friend who was hell-bent on buying one for his "toaster" (a Scion xB); DYNO(!) tests revealed a whopping 1 HP increase. Almost too small to even be repeatably measurable, and FAR too small to be felt by the butt-dyno.

Save your cash for more worthy upgrades. Ford knocked THIS ball out of the park from the factory.

Tex: Now you know why I've been going so crazy to get a factory Audiophile system in my truck. It's THAT good, and almost no theft potential.

-blaine

Old 07-02-2010, 05:47 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
IMNSHO, the primary purpose of CAI's is to lighten the wallet, not improve the vehicle's performance. I did some research for a friend who was hell-bent on buying one for his "toaster" (a Scion xB); DYNO(!) tests revealed a whopping 1 HP increase. Almost too small to even be repeatably measurable, and FAR too small to be felt by the butt-dyno.
What most people don't realize is that it's not only important rather it does flow more then stock, but when it flows more then stock. That's what people need to look at just as much as if it flows more. Everyone that I've seen for the 6.0(if you can find the graphs for the 6.0s anymore that is) is that the earliest that anyone of them flows more then the factory is 3700 on the tach. Well outside the usable range for our trucks either totally stock or just tuned(which both of those fit about 95% of the 6.0 owning population).

Tex: Now you know why I've been going so crazy to get a factory Audiophile system in my truck. It's THAT good, and almost no theft potential.
It's funny that you should mention that. I remember one stock radio that I had that was a piece of crap, but I kept it for when I traded my truck in, but it was stolen. Lowlifes will still just about anything, even a crap radio that came with the 5.9. I had an idea who did it, but nothing beyond that. Pissed me off, because I had to take that no radio in the truck hit on trade in.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:13 AM
BigPapi
Senior User
I have a K&N on my 04 that I would gladly box up and ship in exchange for a stock airbox.

Previous Owner was into 'performance'....

Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
we all forgot about the stock filter can saftly hold up to 3lbs of dirt before it has to be changed, thats a lot of dirt.
Just noticed this, Cheezit- you have an avg post of 11.5 per day, that has to be worth some kind of recognition. I would like to thank you, even though I'm not down here as much anymore. Sorry for the hijack, carry on.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Cheezit: didn't forget; just got beaten to the punch. Three POUNDS is a LOT of dirt.

Oiled filters should NEVER be used with a MAF meter; the filter oil coats and biases the sensor too far out of bounds.

Save your cash for more worthy upgrades. Ford knocked THIS ball out of the park from the factory.

-blaine

Isn't that about a 50% increase on a Scion?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 AM
mikewrt
Senior User
Keep it stock. I changed out the original with another blue media @ about 70k and being in the truck for 6.5 years but it still had plenty of life left in it. The Insight monitor showed about the same amount of air flowing before and after the change. Enjoy!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:09 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I just removed the OEM air box and installed the Rousch box. It has a large K&N style air filter that is SO easy to remove. Nice box and easy to install but directions are a little lacking if you are not mechanically inclined. I like the box outlet line design better then the OEM box. Seems to turn the air better that would cause less turbulence around the MAS.

I personally like K&N filters. For normal street driving they are great and flow better. I drive a 1 mile gravel road every day to get to my house. When I installed the TAG I had to remove the air line from the turbo to the airbox. I checked all for dust build up and there was none. I wiped my hand inside the components and detected none. Next I took carb cleaner and sprayed the inlet lines collecting the run off in a container. No dirt. My turbo blades had no dirt build up on the leading edge as you would see if the air filter was not working properly. And with the CCV venting back into the inlet dust/dirt, if present, would stick to the lines like glue. Just my 2 cents worth!

OBTW - I installed a Turbo Air Guide from DPP about 2 months ago. Seat of the pants eval says it does give better low end throttle response. I put one on my ZO6 about a year ago to straighten the air before it enters the TB. I along with other ZO6 Vette owners noticed better off idle throttle response. That is the primary reason I got one for the X.

Turbo Air Guide - Ford More Air Flow, More Power, Increased Fuel Mileage, Greater Performance

DSMMH

Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DSMMH
I just removed the OEM air box and installed the Rousch box. It has a large K&N style air filter that is SO easy to remove. Nice box and easy to install but directions are a little lacking if you are not mechanically inclined. I like the box outlet line design better then the OEM box. Seems to turn the air better that would cause less turbulence around the MAS.

I personally like K&N filters. For normal street driving they are great and flow better. I drive a 1 mile gravel road every day to get to my house. When I installed the TAG I had to remove the air line from the turbo to the airbox. I checked all for dust build up and there was none. I wiped my hand inside the components and detected none. Next I took carb cleaner and sprayed the inlet lines collecting the run off in a container. No dirt. My turbo blades had no dirt build up on the leading edge as you would see if the air filter was not working properly. And with the CCV venting back into the inlet dust/dirt, if present, would stick to the lines like glue. Just my 2 cents worth!

OBTW - I installed a Turbo Air Guide from DPP about 2 months ago. Seat of the pants eval says it does give better low end throttle response. I put one on my ZO6 about a year ago to straighten the air before it enters the TB. I along with other ZO6 Vette owners noticed better off idle throttle response. That is the primary reason I got one for the X.

Turbo Air Guide - Ford More Air Flow, More Power, Increased Fuel Mileage, Greater Performance

DSMMH

Too each his own, good luck.

Quick Reply: Stock vs Aftermarket Air Filters