1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-150 vs F-250 for all-purpose truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Stiletto Raggio
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 vs F-250 for all-purpose truck

I will be deploying shortly and want to buy a truck when I get back. I want the truck to be capable of towing and hauling anyhting I would want to tow or haul, from ATVs and jetskis to utilitiy, cargo and camping trailers. I also want it to be suitable for off-road use because Colorado has plenty of recreational opportunities that are not easily accessed without a high-clearance 4x4. This would not be my primary vehicle, but a recreational and utility vehicle that I want to last me for 10 or more years. I have done a lot of research and I have narrowed it down pretty well. Here are my two main options:

1) Ford F-150 with 5.4 liter gas engine, crew cab and 6.5" box.

2) Ford F-250 with 6.7 liter diesel engine, crew cab and 6.5' box.

Both would have four wheel drive and tow packages and would be fitted with ARB bumpers, winches and a camper cab.

I have considered a lot of other trucks, but have found reasons not to like most of them. The 5.5' boxes on most 1/2 ton trucks with crew cabs seem awfully small, almost defeating the purpose of having a truck. The 8' box on the F-250 and other 3/4 and 1-ton trucks seems awkwardly long, and the increased wheelbase decreases off-road capabilities. If the Tundra was available with a 6.5' box and, even better, with a diesel, it would be a contender, but right now I am disinclined to go that route.

Ultimately, it comes down to powertrain and suspension. The F-150 is significantly cheaper than the F-250 with a diesel option. I would not buy a 3/4-ton truck with a gas engine, so that is the comparison to be made. The F-250's diesel engine generates quite a bit more torque and perfectly adequate horsepower and gets great fuel economy, but the initial expense offsets the cost of fuel significantly. The diesel engine is also known to last very, very long, but maintainance is more costly and the body may be destroyed before I hit 200k miles.

Do you think I, as a weekend driver who would do some hauling and off-road work but would not be using it as a work truck, would get my money's worth going to a 3/4-ton diesel over a half-ton gas? If not, do you think it would be worth looking at smaller trucks (Colorado, Frontier, etc) to fill that role?

Also, my bias is, for many reasons, toward Ford and Toyota, which is why I came here. Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:46 PM
PERFORMANCE RED
Laughing Gas
Depending on the size camper you get in the future it sounds like a F-150 would suit you much better.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:52 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
First off, welcome to FTE!

I'm kind of confused at your choices. You say you won't even entertain the idea of a gas 3/4 ton? Why? I've had mine for over 10 years and it's served me great (whether I'm towing, wheeling, driving empty). My only regret, not getting a crew cab. And after owning a truck with a 8' bed, I could never go back to a short bed. I used to sleep in the back of my truck when camping and wouldn't be able to fit if I didn't have a long bed, plus I can get my dual sport bike, atv, and all my camping gear in the bed, with the tailgate up. If you're going to tow a cargo and/or travel trailer, how big are you talking? You mention you want to tow anything you'd want. You may end up limiting yourself to the towing capacities of a F-150. To me, your choices are on opposite ends of the spectrum, and you need the "happy medium".

My choice would be to get a F-250, and with your listed uses you should consider the gas (less money up front, lighter when wheeling, etc). I'm not trying to turn this into another gas/diesel p'ing contest, all I'm sayin', don't limit your options. If you're considering the 6.7, you should look at the 6.2 with the 4.30's, lots of torque to be had. And with the new locker option, I imagine wheeling a long wheelbase truck will be even easier. I don't have any problems wheeling my truck (ext. cab, long bed) out here in the backwoods of PA.

As always, just my .02...

Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 PM
SBastow
Senior User
Whats wrong with a F-250 gasser?

Old 06-30-2010, 03:21 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Either one of those trucks should make it to 200K without problems if maintained. That is unless you have a fluke truck like mine or if the 6.7 ends up being another 6.0.

My opinion is that if you don't need the very expensive 6.7 and all that goes with it, don't buy it. Between the two choices you have given, I'd get the F150. It can still tow a lot of weight.

I would definitely consider a 250 gasoline truck as well though.

Mike

Old 06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I like to throw in my $.02 and a couple of points.

First consider the actual platform:
While the F150 is a capable 1/2ton, there is not much comparison between it and the F250, especially when it comes to bouncin' around a forest two-track road or no-track road. The solid axle suspension is much more rugged, much easier to lift, and will hold accessories like winches and bumpers way better than the IFS front ends on the F150.

The same goes for the chassis and brakes. Again, while the F150 tows remarkably well for it's class of pickup, the F250 is in a different league. With the 1/2ton, you'll worry about squatting the suspension out or overloading and axle's weight rating or wondering, "Can my truck pull it through the mountains?". With the 3/4ton, you'll worry about whether the DOT will check if you're overweight because it'll pull ever bit of it's rated capacity and lots more without you wondering if you'll break your truck.

This platform does weigh substantially more, however. Will that be too much of a burden off the beaten path? Are you ready to pay for the heavy duty stuff it needs like big brakes, E-rated tires, and $100+ oil changes?

Then consider the engine:
If this is really just a weekend utility vehicle, consider how well that diesel may or may not like being driven only occasionally. I have no clue if that'll bother the new 6.7L, but it seems like the 6.0L and 6.4L didn't like sitting around or putting around too much as some owners reported frequent regens and/or EGR problems. That's just a thought.

The gas engine in the 1/2ton won't care too much one way or the other as long as it has clean oil, filters, and a half decent battery under the hood. Even though you said it wasn't an option, perhaps a gas engine would fit you better in a 3/4ton. It won't get as good of mileage as the diesel, but if it's just weekend hauler, fuel economy might not be as big a factor since it's not daily driven.

So the long answer to your question is, 3/4ton diesel if you've got or even thinking about a decent sized travel trailer and/or in bed camper. There's a better chance of that truck holding up 10 years to wheelin/towing/hauling stuff around rugged terrain.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
kx450frider617
Senior User
Let's just say towing a camper with a 1/2 ton is NOT fun. I went from a 1500 dodge ram with the 5.7 hemi to a f-350 long bed crew cab 7.3 diesel and there is no comparison. Other than a better engine, the super duty is more stable with bigger breaks, stronger frame, etc. If you can swing the payment on the 6.7 that would be my first choice.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
based on your choices:

150 will be better off-road, but the 250 will handle more trailer. If your trailer weight will be below 7k lbs 95% of the time and not too long of trips i would think the 150 will do fine.

But i think the new 6.7 diesel is Bad A** (just my 2 cents)

Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Evan99
Senior User
Dont forget the 150s with have the new 5.0L 400 HP and 400 Ft Lbs of Torque keep that in mind.

Also dont rule out a F-250 with the 6.2L gas v8 awesome motor aswell.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Stiletto Raggio
New User
My main reason for ruling out a gas engine in the 250 was that, until this year, you could either get the 5.4 that was in the 150 or pay a huge premium for a V-10 that got awful mileage. The 6.2 looks promising, but I have yet to see one, let alone drive one.

Also, I have been a big fan of diesels for a really long time. My dad had a diesel Mercedes that ran wonderfully until I wrecked it at 16 years of age and 197k miles. The fuel economy and the 300+ lbs of added torque over the gas engine are actually one of the draws to even get a 250, so that is what I had set my eye on. You guys doubtless have a lot more technical expertise in this area than I do, so if you can convince me, I will give the 6.2 a hard look.

I am almost definitely not going to get a brand new truck. Low mileage used, absolutely, but I would be more comfortable getting a diesel with 50k+ on it than a gas engine.

How much of a difference does the weight and size make in taking a 250 off road? My neighbor has a 3/4 ton Suburban that he takes up in the mountains for Elk camp and it does very well. I have a feeling that the 250 will be harder to handle but much more forgiving than a 150 off road. The great majority of my off road driving has been done in a HMMWV, so I'm used to a pretty rugged truck.

As for the virtues of the 150, what is the "comfortable" towing capacity? I know I would not be trying to push the limits too much, but can I expect to tow 10k in the mountains?

Last things last, will the huge torque advantage of the diesel help me out of tough off-road situations or just help me get deeper in? Or would the lighter weight and narrower track of a 150 be better at keeping me out of trouble?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Evan99
Senior User
Far as off roading a diesel wont help much at all. They weigh so much more and a F250 already weighs alot to begin with. With that said a F150 just stated coming with locking diffs those help alot. You always can add them to a F250 if thats what you go with. So as far as off roading 150 gets the 250 IMO. However I've seen some great driving with 250 trucks it just depends on driver and terrian.

I love a diesel just as much as anyone but I would be a little worried about a 6.0. Get a oasiss report on it. Some are good and some will give you trouble.

The 5.4 and V10 are both great engines and most likely give you any trouble so cant go wrong there.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:56 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I see Colorado and my standard answers change!

Colorado is a rather unique state in that you have HIGH altitudes and some truly steep grades and rugged off roading.

Here's my input: If you're thinking a 22' or bigger trailer (big enough to require 2 axles), then I would recommend turbo diesel as it will do better at the high altitudes.

But that would make a pretty terrible trail vehicle for Colorado... Just too stinkin' HEAVY and long for most of the trails out there. For true offroading, you want light and manueverable... A diesel 250 would be fine on gravel or dry fire roads, but throw in some typically muddy, steep, slimy, off camber stuff and gravity will really make life miserable.

May I recommend a pair of used vehicles instead of one new? Like a 3 or 4 year old diesel 250 AND a small SUV or truck?

That's what I resorted to.... We have the truck for hauling the trailer, and then something else for the times with no trailer. It was an '88 Nissan Pathfinder (body on frame and tough as nails) but I am now working on building up a '71 Toyota FJ55 cruiser with modern FI'd Chevy V8. The combined registration costs are WAY less than a single new truck, and since I have 2 "old" vehicles, I don't feel the need to carry any more than liability insurance so that is a big savings as well.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:31 PM
jsimon724
Elder User
[quote=Stiletto Raggio;9059917]My main reason for ruling out a gas engine in the 250 was that, until this year, you could either get the 5.4 that was in the 150 or pay a huge premium for a V-10 that got awful mileage. The 6.2 looks promising, but I have yet to see one, let alone drive one.

1st off, the V10 is only $600 premium on a new vehicle - so hardly what I'd call huge. Secondly, mileage with a V10 in a 250 isn't going to be considerably worse than a V8, as the V10 will be better suited to the heavier truck in general and not have to work as hard.

As stated previously, the solid front axle of the 250 is better in most off-road situations (aside from Baja type off-road stuff, which is where the 1/2 ton Raptor shines, but that's a whole other topic) and can be easily lifted. Even though I own a 6.0 diesel and love it for what it does, I don't think it's the best choice for you. #1 - 6.0 PSD doesn't like to sit, not best choice for a weekend warrior. #2 - V10 (or V8) is a whole lot lighter than the PSD and is less likely to sink your front end in sticky situations.

Last of all, if you're considering any kind of slide-in camper, then it's 250 all the way. In fact, SRW 350 is probably even better.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:45 PM
5.4f250sd
Senior User
Well if I was you I would look to a lower mileage f250. I own an excavating buisness and my partner drives a heavy payload f150 with a 3v 5.4 and it doesn't handle towing very well compaired to my 250.(9500lbs) My truck is much more stout and safer feeling. I have the 3v 5.4 and get between 10-16 mpg depending on what and how I am pulling. Thats as good as any tundra with a v8. But will pull lots more. Look for a 05 or newer and you will get bigger brakes a torqshift and coil front end. Oh if I was you I would look for 4:10's or 4:30's being that you are in colorado. The diesel is great, but I did want that kind of money tied up in a truck. After owning a f250 I will never ever by another f150 or 1500 everything about the truck is nicer for what I do!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 PM
sy1616
New User
Sorry, no super duty on it and no diesel = not a truck. SD all the way!!! no question!!!!
F-150 is a raised car with a bed. just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: F-150 vs F-250 for all-purpose truck