1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

HMMWV rims and a donor truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 AM
powerstoked!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HMMWV rims and a donor truck

so here is a Q for ya guys. I got a good line on some 36x12.50r16.5's from this shop, and if im going to run a 16.5" rim, i want to run a two piece double bead lock HMMWV rim. the rims are just about bullet proof, and look pretty sweet, and I can get those at a decent price too. so the dilemma here is that the HMMWV rims have a 7" backspace, which is quite a bit too much. If i ran a 2.5 or 3" wheel spacer behind it, is there any reason that shouldn't work? I'm talking about running above 1 ton loads every now and then strength wise, and also if running such an offset rim with a spacer behind it would thrash my wheel bearings? I have seen the HMMWV rims on 350's before, and that's the only way I can see it having worked...?

Oh and I found a 97 f350 4x4 gasser with a blown motor for 800 on craigslist.. so im going to buy that thing up, take the bed, do a solid axle swap on my 250, and take a few other interior parts, and a door off of it for my truck. then put all my old stuff back together on that truck and resell it as a parts truck again haha, gotta love getting stuff for free!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:01 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
I dont think you will be able to use a true HMMWV Wheel because the bolt pattern spacing is different as well. The HMMWV was produced by AM General, and uses GM parts for the chassis.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:07 AM
powerstoked!
Senior User
8 on 6.5 bolt pattern bud, a friend of mine had them on his 95 f350. the 8 and 12 bolt beadlock rims are all 8 on 6.5. im just wondering about the backspace issue and how they fit... I know they do, i just don't know how, and lost that guys number... dang it...

Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes 8 on 6.5 true. They will work.
But if it were me I would try to stay away from something I had to add spaceers to. Just my $.02

BTW, Congrats on that find. Good score. Also unless you are going to do any off roading I would look at taking the sway bars off that 350 as well. I am still looking for a rear one.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:37 AM
BigWhite94
Senior User
Buy the aftermarket inner wheels for them and have a wheel shop cut and re-install them, takes it to a 4" back spacing I believe.

Without any kind of spacer, the rear tire will rub on the u-bolt. I had them on my 8-lug'd F150 and only had to get 1.5" spacers to clear everything.

I used to have the website for the inner wheels saved to my favs but I don't anymore, trying to look it up right now.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 AM
BigWhite94
Senior User
Old 06-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Wow, well wonders never cease! If they work on bolt pattern, then righty on then. i am having a hard time remembering what the backspacing and hubs looked like on them, I just remember them being monsterous and heavy! LOL! I guess worse case scenerio, spacers!

Man those rims are heavy!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 AM
BigWhite94
Senior User
Yeah they are extremely heavy LOL, i hated mounting and dismounting them off the truck lol

Old 06-30-2010, 11:47 AM
BigWhite94
Senior User

That's the wheel and 36" tire on my truck, wish I had the rear or other pics but it's the only one I took when test fitting them with the lift.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Holy hell! Thats an interesting look! I dont envy ya messing with them, of course many would say the same about dual wheels for me, LOL! I guess you wont be bending a rim anytime in the near future!

Old 06-30-2010, 01:18 PM
powerstoked!
Senior User
good suggestion on the new center section bigwhite, but i think that welding a center section in would take the load rating about in half, down to what a normal steel rim is (2000 lbs) The original HHMWV rims are rated for 3800 along with the goodyear wranger mtr military oz tires rated at 3900. I got a line on the 8 bolt military rims for cheap, but i want the 12 bolt, they look so much sweeter. And it turns out the donor truck that i found, the guy sold the front end right out from under me!!!!! That was the whole reason i was going to buy the truck, dang it... oh well, i'll just have to look for a new donor truck now. Or im looking at another 350 4x4 psd cclb that is white and green on 35's with a 6" lift for 5900. If i can talk him down under 5k then I might just buy that truck... it's got 230k miles on it already so i'm kinda iffy on spending alot of money on it, even though i know these trucks will last till the cows come home...

Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 PM
BigWhite94
Senior User
The pressed wheel centers are actually suppose to add strength to the wheels. The normal plate centers bend really easy. Tons of comp. mudders and rock crawlers use the re-centers on there rigs with no problems and love them.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 PM
powerstoked!
Senior User
offroad trucks don't commonly have the high weight bearing loads on them, that's why steel rims are pretty common in offroading, they can flex and take a beating, but they can't handle a 1 1/4 ton load in the back of your truck because they're not strong enough. I mean, do what ya do bud, but I have seen these rims carrying our m1151's around iraq, offroad, over curbs, loaded down to about 15k. I know I can trust the stock configuration, and I kinda dig the 12 bolt style. they are real heavy though... haha

Old 10-03-2010, 12:55 PM
rayezra
Senior User
I have been researching the Humvee Wheels and tires for my 2004 F350 - I am interested because I have a M1101 Silver Eagle Trailer. (The Humvee Trailer)

I am wondering besides mods to the wheel (extensions or whatever) What other modifications do I need to make to a stock F350?

Since this will raise the truck does this affect the drive shaft, or transmission?

Do I also need to lift the truck?

I will have a slide in camper and be pulling the military trailer. I need to keep the center of gravity low for the camper, so not looking for 4" lift - but the 2" lift from stock will be good for the off road.where I am going.
(I will have airbags)

Carrying all the same tires and spares (truck and trailer) are a good idea for my application - but only if it works and is not harmful to the reliability of the truck.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by rayezra
I have been researching the Humvee Wheels and tires for my 2004 F350 - I am interested because I have a M1101 Silver Eagle Trailer. (The Humvee Trailer)

I am wondering besides mods to the wheel (extensions or whatever) What other modifications do I need to make to a stock F350?

Since this will raise the truck does this affect the drive shaft, or transmission?

Do I also need to lift the truck?

I will have a slide in camper and be pulling the military trailer. I need to keep the center of gravity low for the camper, so not looking for 4" lift - but the 2" lift from stock will be good for the off road.where I am going.
(I will have airbags)

Carrying all the same tires and spares (truck and trailer) are a good idea for my application - but only if it works and is not harmful to the reliability of the truck.
Since yours is an '04 you'll need to adapt from the metric bolt pattern to the 8x6.5 plus a big spacer to fit the wheels for backspacing.

You'll be running either the 36 or 37" tires so you'll probably need at least 4" of lift, most likely 6". And the extra force needed to push the heavier tires will be hard on your transmission if you have an auto. Driveshafts should be fine. Your MPG's will go down also.

And keep in mind that that HMMWV tires are only load-range D and it sounds like you will have a lot of weight on them, so I'd be careful.

Personally I would stick with a 16 or 17" aluminum wheel with a high load rating and get some good load range E tires. With your slide in camper you probably don't want bigger than 35" tires (33" would probably be best) anyways and you could probably fit them without a lift.

Quick Reply: HMMWV rims and a donor truck