1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-24-2014, 06:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission slips after service... continues to shudder

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 PM
bentcipher
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission slips after service... continues to shudder

Hey everyone, searched this forum for the last 6 hours and decided to post this as I couldn't find an answer to my problems with my '01 F250 5.4L Auto.

Got about 150k miles on the truck, it's a work truck and looks it. Probably been abused pretty good and I'm working to bring it back. Just fixed a number of issues including a major A/C issue - now moving on to the transmission.

When I first got the truck about a month ago I could feel a shudder between 45-55mph range... figure either needs a new filter and a flush or a torque converter. Took it to my mech who's serviced a tranny on my '96 E150 and brought it back from the dead (bad tranny shudder, stalling, slipping and hesitating) by flushing it, replacing the filter, and refilling it with Lucas oil.

So I figured the van was much worse than this F250 P/U would be a piece of cake... Right? Wrong. He did the service, flushed, replaced filter, refilled with Lucas Transmission oil. I got the truck back and it still shudders at 45-55mph speed. What's worse is that it now stalls when occasionally putting gear in Reverse.

Then, I drove about 25 miles on the highway the other day and after getting off and pulling up to a light, the truck stalled! So shift in Park, restart, shift in Drive, gave it gas... nothing... applied a little more and revved it up till about 2000rpm before the gear engaged and truck finally moved, jerking forward. It's been doing this ever since.

Based on what I found on this forum and elsewhere online, I could potentially have two different issues. One is a torque converter.... but this "slipping" of the gears really worries me. I checked the transmission fluid level... it was fine, clean and smelled as it should (I have fresh fluid to compare). Tried Mr. Tranny Fixx.... Nothing... I'm not getting any warning lights on the dash either. Also, this symptoms only manifest themselves once the truck warms up... except for the shudder transmission shifts fine when cold.

It is definitely the gearing and not fuel or ignition related, or a misfire. When I pull up to the light, I can feel tranny trying to engage clutch but it can't, and then when moving from a stop I can feel when the tranny finally engage and then jerk forward. I can drive around town but when pulling up to a light I'll have to shift in Neutral... then in Drive when ready to move but then again, it takes a bit of effort to begin moving forward (as described above). Does the same thing in Reverse.

One thing that I'm going to go after next is my OD button, it does not light up when I press it so I'll check the continuity and see if the button is broke... but even if it is I don't believe it would cause the transmission act this bad.

And one last final node, after that short ride on the highway after which the tranny first began to exhibit these symptoms... my power steering fluid started to leak (by the pump). Probably unrelated but figure I mention it anyway.

Could it be that something came loose or out of "adjustment" after the tranny service? I'm going to replace the torque converter but why bother if going to need a complete rebuild?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:04 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bentcipher
One thing that I'm going to go after next is my OD button, it does not light up when I press it so I'll check the continuity and see if the button is broke... but even if it is I don't believe it would cause the transmission act this bad.
Nothing in the OD button can cause your problems, but the OD OFF light is the warning light for the transmission. Your PCM may be flashing the OD OFF light to tell you there is a transmission problem, but you can't see it. Usually when it doesn't work it's a broken wire(s) where they enter the shifter handle inside the steering column.

Originally Posted by bentcipher
Could it be that something came loose or out of "adjustment" after the tranny service? I'm going to replace the torque converter but why bother if going to need a complete rebuild?
It's possible that the filter isn't seated properly. That could cause these problems.

I'm interested in how you came to the conclusion that the torque converter could cause this. I know that's what most people say whenever there is a transmission problem, but with your symptoms I can't see how the torque converter could cause what's happening with your truck.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
subscribing

Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 AM
bentcipher
New User
Thanks for chiming in Mark. You're absolutely right on the OD button which is why I think it'll be important to get that worked out asap too.

I know I didn't elaborate above as to why I think my Torque Converter may be experiencing issues as well.The reason I'm inclined to say that my TC may be failing is the "shudder" that I get under very slight acceleration between 45-55mph. After spending a good chunk of time pouring over this forum and online search a lot of drivers cite TC as the culprit causing the shudder, given you can rule other things out like low grade misfire, tire-related issues, etc...

My TC symptoms are as follows:
Acceleration is smooth all the way up until you hit about 45mph at which point, one of two things occurs. If you are under "spirited" acceleration you don't feel a thing. However, if you're only under light throttle (such as essentially enough throttle to keep vehicle moving at about same speed) then you experience a shudder until you either drop under 45mph, go over 55mph, or just release throttle and let it coast.

Additionally, after I added Mr. Tranny last week the shudder has decreased and is not as prominent as it was.

I don't believe the above issues are causing my tranny to slip, I think that's a separate issue. I can drop the pan and check to see if the filter is seated properly.... would hate to waste all that new oil... gets pricey... but I'll check. Anything else common I should be on a lookout for when I'm in there?

Last edited by bentcipher; 06-29-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 PM
bakon
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was the fluid changed in the past? Reason I ask my son has 100k miles and was told by several mechanics not to change the fluid now. Wait till she goes. (Nissan). Now my SD has had a service at 40k and now 74k miles. No problems. Told the reason was a regular service keeps it clean but no service builds up residues in the fluid which are needed to keep running. If removed the plates are to messed up from the old mixture to run right with the new.

Now I don't know if its a tranny myth or not, I do know its come from several sources and mechanics of different ages. Anyone know Fact or fiction?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
bentcipher
New User
@bakon

I did read this somewhere not to mess with it! But you know... that's real hard to believe. I have absolutely no idea what the service record is on the truck so I had no way of knowing whether service was done or not... but I do know that when we drained it the fluid it was filthy black. No shavings, debris or anything else but it was pitch black.

I don't know about that... I've come across a lot of mechanics in my life and quite honestly, even some good ones have it backwards sometimes.... Plus, there is ALOT of mechanics out there good with common problems.... only common problems.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 PM
bakon
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was at the shop today. Not a dealer but the local shop the other shops take their trannys to. He repaeated the same advise. Said he has seen trannys working fine at 100k, change fluid, and a week later they go. I guess someone can also say they have seen the opposite. Maybe a mythbuster episode is needed.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:12 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by bakon
Anyone know Fact or fiction?
It's both.

If the trans is in good shape new fluid will ALWAYS be better. But most of the time that a high mileage trans comes in and has never been serviced it is there because there is something wrong with it. Usually what's wrong was caused from never changing the fluid. The trans has been damaged and new fluid won't save it. Whether or not the trans gets new fluid at this point it is going to die soon.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you had 150k on it then changed the fluid then that's probably your problem. If you haven't changed it before 40k you shouldn't do it at all. Especially if it's been rode hard.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Downriver Thunder
If you haven't changed it before 40k you shouldn't do it at all.
I disagree.

If the trans is in good shape it's NEVER too late to change the fluid. If the trans is damaged it is a waste of time and money to change the fluid, rebuild instead.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:55 AM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I disagree.

If the trans is in good shape it's NEVER too late to change the fluid. If the trans is damaged it is a waste of time and money to change the fluid, rebuild instead.
As I'm sure Mark will tell you, ATF is a great solvent when new.
The best strategy, IMHO, in a under-serviced transmission is NOT to do a flush as you will be introducing a lot of 'solvent' into a transmission that has a lot of dis-solvable solids in it. In that case, IMHO, you are best served to change the contents of the pan (about 1/3 of the total capacity) at intervals. I did this at my 5000 mile oil change over a 5-6 change span with success.

On my newer trucks I change the pan contents every 10,000 miles and the bypass filter every 25,000 miles. It's quick and easy when doing an oil change anyway.

I think the OP's transmission in question is totally weeded, however. Sorry.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:24 PM
bentcipher
New User
Alright boys and girls! Problem is resolved. It ended up being a filter. Once properly reinstalled and refilled, tranny was as good as new. Loving life right now.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:37 PM
bentcipher
New User
Real quick... the shudder persists though despite throwing a new T/C in. We were able to replicate the shudder by putting drivetrain under load standing still. Could be multiple coils giving me issues at this point... will investigate further.

For those who are having a shudder and not sure whether to be troubleshooting at the motor or tranny do this: step on your brakes and apply gas (thereby putting your drivetrain under load). Standing still, if you are able to replicate the shudder it ain't your T/C.

DISCLAIMER: obviously please do exercise safety and caution performing this, like don't have anything around that you could hit... best do it in an wide open space like an empty parking lot. Use common sense.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:43 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What happened between the last two posts?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:09 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like about 13 minutes is what happened....

Quick Reply: Transmission slips after service... continues to shudder