1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Replacing factory 3 point retractable seat beats

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Frenchy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing factory 3 point retractable seat beats

Hi Everyone!

Can anyone tell me which auto parts websites sell remanufactured 3 point retractable seat belt assemblies (factory replacements)? I need to replace my old seat belts (driver's side, middle passenger, and passenger side). The retractable unit bolts in the top corners of the cab. Would any of these websites ship orders to Canada? I own a 1983 Ford F-150 half ton truck 2WD in good condition. Thanks!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:02 AM
6fifty_f1fifty
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some odd reason LMC doesn't have three pointers for our generation of truck (but they do for chevies) I got a set of three pointers from JC whitney for my 86 e350, I don't see why they wouldn't work, but then again, I should not be recommending "safety of life" items that aren't necessarily made for that application (read "at your own risk").

Napa told me they don't sell em because of liability issues. Go figure that some sob, sued them because he put the wrong belts in his truck, then got hurt cause he was a dummy, all these people think that someone owes them something. There should be a disclaimer on each and every vehicle sold in this country (drive this at your own peril). Most people die in car accidents.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:31 AM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
I personally prefer 4-point harness's with lift latches, but you can't move around with them on. Here's a couple that sell 3-point and 2-point for the center. Wesco is where I bought all my 4-point harness's, friends have had good luck with Julianos as well

Retractable Seat Belts

Retractable 3-Point Shoulder Harness Seat Belts Lap Belts and Seat Belt Accessories - Juliano's Hot Rod Parts

Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 AM
smashclash
Elder User
if anyone has or knows of where I can find the plastic coverings that go over the seatbelts for our trucks (preferably red) I'd be willing to buy them off of you. The belt sits way to high on me and it's driving me insane.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 PM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Smashclash, maybe you're just too short, sit on a big phone book or something

You're best bet is again most likely junkyard hunting, unless someone on here has a set.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 PM
smashclash
Elder User
haha, i'm 5'9" but only 150lbs with a 30" waist. the belt wants to ride over my hips instead of on them. its uncomfortable with it lying across my stomach. i'm sure i'll end up getting in a head-on collision and the belt forcing me to spit my entrails out my mouth.

oh well, should be easier for the organ donor scavengers to have at it. :/

Old 06-28-2010, 12:50 PM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Smashclash, just a crazy thought, would it be at all possible to run the seatbelt under the back of the seat on the inside of the back seat support?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 PM
smashclash
Elder User
are you suggesting pushing the seatbelt down through the hole in the seat and then bring it back up inbetween the bench and back rest portion of the seat?

I had not thought about this but it could be a possibility. But, the extra slack i get from it having to go around the seat instead of through it might be counterbalanced by moving closer to my body rather than forcing it up the hole toward the center of the truck.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 PM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
That is one way of doing it, probably not the safest. If you move the seat forward too it should ride lower on your body, or you can rig up a u-bolt or something with larger washers through the floor to get it to sit where you want, or sit on a large phone book

Some say the way I mount the 4-point harness is unsafe, but I've never had an issue. They are pretty much 3 point anyway as the two shoulder straps come to a v in the back that I mount to the floor with larger washers ( most people tell me it needs to be bolted to a roll cage or it will compress your spine in a wreck) then you have the left and right mounting points, stock ones usually work. I like'em because it keeps you square in the seat, with a 3-point you have the possibility of twisting out of the shoulder harness. And for some reason cops don't like it when you drive with a helmet on.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Unfortunately, these seatbelts were designed to fit larger people, so they don't fit those of that are tall and skinny as well as they do on the people who are either shorter, or heavier. Moving the rearward to accomodate long legs gives the buckle portion more slack, so it rides up higher on those of us who don't have larger middles.
The plastic sleeves simply hold the slack under the seat, so it gives a harder jerk when a collision does occur.

4 point harnesses rarely meet DOT standards. Even though they may meet higher safety standards, they're typically not legal for use in street driven vehicles. The manufacturers of these harnesses *could* get DOT approval, but they would have to crash test them in every vehicle they could possibly be installed. Way too cost prohibitive........