Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

My idea for Fords packaging and engine linup of the future.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:15 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My idea for Fords packaging and engine linup of the future.

This is just my idea and I was curious as to what people might think about it.

I'm concerned with Fords idea of downsizing its engines. I feel relatively comfortable that the 5.0L V8 will be available in 2011+ F-150's. However I was doing some more research on the new F-150's and I came across and intresting article that stated (possibly) For the 2013 or 2014 Model year (When the F-150 is set for its next complete redesign) There is talk of an 3.0L or smaller Ecoboost 4cyl Option that would make power numbers that are within the realm of today's. 2valve 248hp 4.6L V8. Personally I'm not all that excited about a smaller engine trend. I mean the 3.5L Ecoboost does sound promising, But I' am going to hold out for a 5.0L V8 or even a 6.2L V8 if they make it available on any F-150' Trims other than the most exclusive and most expensive. I'm glad that Ford is chasing the idea of more fuel efficient 1/2 ton trucks. But I wish they would take a different route. Say...DOHC Direct Injection Light Weight Aluminum V8's ranging in displacement from 4.5 or so liters all the way to a 6.5 liter V8. And tack a 6-speed or even a 7-speed auto with a high overdrive gear. And save the Ecoboost engine for Fuel efficient specific models such as the current SFE.

I' have learned that Chevy and Dodge are more going that way. GM for instance has started development on a whole new line of DI Aluminum V8 engines. Gen V Vortec series. And Dodge is working on a larger 6.4L Hemi V8 from my understanding.

Another way for Ford to go would be to offer an engine lineup like this.

Smaller Ecoboost engines for fuel efficiency.

3.0L 4cyl - Base
3.5L V6 - Optional

Larger Boss engines for traditionalist.

5.0LV8 - Base
6.2L V8 - Optional

And Ford could offer 4 engines across the board, that provide something for everyone. The people who are looking for the most fuel efficiency and don't care about V8 tradition in full size trucks could choose from the Ecoboost line. And people like myself who are more traditional could choose from the V8 engine line. They could consolidate their packaging like they could make the FX4 an option on everything from an XL all the way to a Platinum instead of a model all on its own. (In my opinion they should take out either the King Ranch or Platinum. How much Luxury do we really need?

So here's what I got so far.

Consolidated lineup.
XL
XLT
Lariat
and say...Platinum

All with the FX4 offroad package available as an option which would include everything current FX4's have from 3.73 rear end to skid-plates to the Locking rear diff.

XL and XLT are available with both Base and Optional engines from Ecboost or Boss family. While Lariat and Platinum will have the option of either 3.5L Ecoboost or 6.2L Boss V8. So that way everyone from every realm can have the pickup of their dreams. For instance if your a high end Luxury type guy who love's V8 power you can Opt for a Lariat or Platinum with a 6.2L V8. Or if your like me and want a good looking good performing offroad truck you could get an XL or XLT truck with the optional FX4 offroad package. Or even If you just need a solid simple reliable work truck you could opt for an XL manual everything (except transmission) with a 5.0L or 6.2L. And the people who just use their trucks to pickup the kids from school and get groceries could get something like a XLT with a 3.5L Ecoboost.

I was just thinking today about how much I hate that automakers often reserve things like the 6.2L V8 for only the most expensive model of truck and often times the only way you can get the option of a premium engine is to buy a 3,000$ equipment package.

Anyway these are just my thoughts and views and I look forward to hearing Feedback from everyone.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:44 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I hear ya and I agree. But, a 3.0L 4 cylinder is quite large and could produce some very significant power. It's obviously an inline engine so with a heavy block and some very stout bearings and internals, it could last hundreds of thousands of miles. It think it has merit. I also think that for it to provide maximum efficiency, the F-150 will have to go on a diet.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:02 PM
hsfbfan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford is targeting the ecoboost engine as a tow workhorse.

6.4L Hemi is a car engine, not going in trucks at all.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having the Ecoboost in a truck just doesn't seem like it would work out. You need that low rpm grunt from a truck and wouldn't you have turbo lag from the Ecoboost?

What about the 4.4l diesel? They briefly worked on it and then shelved it for I imagine economic reasons/trucks not selling. But now that things are starting to pick up I'd say it would be worth it. Gas is cheap now but give it a year or two and we are back up past $3.50-4/gallon so a truck that gets 19mpg+ (fingers crossed) would be all the rage.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Hybris
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to see Ford look at getting the 6.7 power stroke into a F150 I understand that several things would need to be reinforced but it would give the people a diesel 1/2 ton and they would need to only make one diesel engine for their whole truck lineup.

You would be able to fit any gas engine you want in the space that a diesel in a F150 would take if you wanted a gaser.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:53 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
The front end of the SD is huge to accommodate the diesel and it's need to breath and cool itself.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:56 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fordtruckman
Having the Ecoboost in a truck just doesn't seem like it would work out. You need that low rpm grunt from a truck and wouldn't you have turbo lag from the Ecoboost?

Lag would depend on a few factors. I'm not too familiar with the Ecoboost, so it might have turbo lag, but even if it did in the car version, you could make tweaks to get rid of it through proper programming. It would just depend.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 AM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
there is supposed to be ZERO turbo lag in the Powerstrokes and the ecoboost.

basically what that means is Ford did their homework and properly matched the turbo to the engine. if you do that, you'll virtually never have turbo lag.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:34 AM
1medic
Junior User

What about the 4.4l diesel? They briefly worked on it and then shelved it for I imagine economic reasons/trucks not selling. But now that things are starting to pick up I'd say it would be worth it. Gas is cheap now but give it a year or two and we are back up past $3.50-4/gallon so a truck that gets 19mpg+ (fingers crossed) would be all the rage.
I have driven a Lincoln MKS with the 3.5 L EcoBoost engine and it's phenomenal! No turbo lag what so ever. Great low end grunt. You don't feel the turbos working (ie light switch). There is a ton of power. F150s will benefit greatly having these engines with them. Don't be afraid of change.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:44 AM
hsfbfan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you seen the torque curve for the ecoboost? It has maximum torque between 1500 and 2000 RPM and the curve is flat.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:02 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 1medic
I have driven a Lincoln MKS with the 3.5 L EcoBoost engine and it's phenomenal! No turbo lag what so ever. Great low end grunt. You don't feel the turbos working (ie light switch). There is a ton of power. F150s will benefit greatly having these engines with them. Don't be afraid of change.
Oh I'm not, change is good. If there is no lag then sign me up. Ive always thought that engines with turbos had lag but I suppose the technology has changed enough to eliminate that problem. I still don't see why all vehicles don't have turbos?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:30 PM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
Oh I'm not, change is good. If there is no lag then sign me up. Ive always thought that engines with turbos had lag but I suppose the technology has changed enough to eliminate that problem. I still don't see why all vehicles don't have turbos?
the whole "turbo lag" thing is where the turbo is to big for the engine. if a turbo is to big it takes more exhaust pressure to get it to spool up IE needing to hit a higher RPM. thats why turbo lag is so prominate in lots of builds. people thing BIGGER is better. but thats not always the case with turbos.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Evan99
Senior User
ahhh you left off the King Ranch thats the best one. I could ever afford one.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I, for one, would like to see the 4.4L diesel option in the mix. I also think Ford should make all engines available as options in all trim levels and the should just go back to the XL, XLT, and Lariat trim levels plus the SVT Raptor with the KR, FX4, and Platinum being option packeges.