6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van
Old 11-19-2014, 01:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • Buying Guide
    Important information to help you understand your Ford truck

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Buying a USED 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Bobcat girl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have a 6.0L, I hope u haven't bought one yet but I would HIGHLY recommend something ELSE. We could've bought an escalade for the amount spent on this thing! We had to replace the entire motor after about 250k miles. And for a diesel that's not much!! Unless u have a friend that's a mechanic and will work for free?!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobcat girl
We have a 6.0L, I hope u haven't bought one yet but I would HIGHLY recommend something ELSE. We could've bought an escalade for the amount spent on this thing! We had to replace the entire motor after about 250k miles. And for a diesel that's not much!! Unless u have a friend that's a mechanic and will work for free?!
Sorry you had/have problems, but this thread is intended to help people pick out a good used 6.0L - there are MANY of those available for a good price. The 6.0L can be an extremely solid truck, if things are done correctly (including a wise initial purchase).

I have no idea how well yours was maintained, whether or not it was abused, or maybe it was just a problem child from day 1. Regardless, this thread will help people sort out that information. For your current issues, I would recommend a monitoring system, gauges, and a code reader. The 05's are known for some high pressure oil system leak. They are not all that hard to identify or repair. I would also monitor FICM voltages and the two sync values. They are easily done with a scan tool (even a $115 scangauge monitoring system, but be aware - it is a marginal code reader). Best of luck.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by kitson82
I am looking at buying a newer F-250 to replace my 1994 f-250 and 1995 f-250. just not sure on getting the 6.0. I had a 7.3 super duty before and loved it but clearly I have to buy an older truck for to get that. It seems to be hard to find a gasser super duty and would prefer a diesel for hauling and for length of ownership. My problem is im not a diesel mechanic nor do I claim to be very savvy when it comes to diesels. however I like good deals and if I can get a deal on a 6.0 because its a 6.0. I would like to but I cant afford to buy problems. Any advise is greatly appreciated
thanks

andrew
It would be best if you asked some specific questions. This thread contains a ton of advice - so it is hard to know where to start for you.

I will say that NO ONE should buy a used vehicle if they can not afford a few repairs (several thousand dollars worth - IMO). You are always at risk of buying other peoples problems/mistakes.

Lastly - you probably need to really decide if you need a diesel or not. They are NOT cheaper to own than a gasser.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Nemoneymeiyer
New User
Lots of info some over my head. But since we got our 6.0 replaced EGR Valve, tie rods, and after working out a deal with dealer ball joints top and bottom. Have had under boost code in the past, hasn't happened lately even pulling our toy hauler. Truck had been on dealer lot for extended period feel some issues were from that. Truck was supposed to be serviced completely before delivery, and serviced once since. We found grease of front suspension not done hence the deal with ball joint cost. I read all the 6.0 posts and feel a lot of problems can be avoided with a good maint. program, however I know nothing is w/o problems. Keep the posts coming, still have tranny flush and coolant flush ahead. We have 147,500 miles on this Excursion only upgrade I know of is Airraid air filter (not that impressed) I also know when buying used be prepared when making it yours.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The more you stick around Nemoneymeiyer, the more interesting things you can learn. All the guys here are willing to help if you any question.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Monty Simmons
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New 2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel 4WD owner - questions

Posted in wrong section.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:46 PM
squawker
New User
Looking at '05 Ex 6.0L 4x4

New member here. Appreciate all the valuable information.

Found what appears to be a good deal on an '05 Ex 6.0L.
Being sold by an auto wholesaler, 20 years in business. They acquired it an an auto auction in April 2013.
192,xxx miles; clean CarFax; one owner; no accidents / damage.
VIN: 1FMSU43P15EA49646
$8,500 - out the door.

Noticed a small puddle of oil on the ground under the pan; starts & idles fine; peeling paint on front bumper; rear passenger window inop; tear in driver's seat; body appears fine.

I have an appt to drive it tomorrow and take delivery. Will go through checklist in this thread. Opportunity or cause for concern? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by squawker
New member here. Appreciate all the valuable information.

Found what appears to be a good deal on an '05 Ex 6.0L.
Being sold by an auto wholesaler, 20 years in business. They acquired it an an auto auction in April 2013.
192,xxx miles; clean CarFax; one owner; no accidents / damage.
VIN: 1FMSU43P15EA49646
$8,500 - out the door.

Noticed a small puddle of oil on the ground under the pan; starts & idles fine; peeling paint on front bumper; rear passenger window inop; tear in driver's seat; body appears fine.

I have an appt to drive it tomorrow and take delivery. Will go through checklist in this thread. Opportunity or cause for concern? Thanks in advance.
Sounds good if the engines vitals are ok on a test run. Actually that price would be a major steal for an Excursion.

Only concern is the leak might be a bed plate which requires extensive labor to repair.

Josh

Old 04-02-2014, 11:31 PM
StuckThrottle
New User
Great Thread! I'm in the market for a used truck and the 6.0 is in my price range. I found a clean 2006 CCSB 4x4 Lariat with 116k miles, one owner very clean. I will check everything with a Scan Gauge 2 when I test drive.

I'm planning on spending some money once I purchase this truck with the following reliability upgrades and maintenance:

BD EGR & Oil cooler
Blue spring upgrade
Upgrade FICM (not sure if I should use FICMrepair or BD diesel)
Coolant flush, replace with Ford Gold
Hot transmission flush
change engine oil to synthetic
install external coolant filter
New Deegas cap

Anything else you guys would do to a "new to you" truck?

Old 04-03-2014, 04:17 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by StuckThrottle
Great Thread! I'm in the market for a used truck and the 6.0 is in my price range. I found a clean 2006 CCSB 4x4 Lariat with 116k miles, one owner very clean. I will check everything with a Scan Gauge 2 when I test drive.

I'm planning on spending some money once I purchase this truck with the following reliability upgrades and maintenance:

BD EGR & Oil cooler
Blue spring upgrade
Upgrade FICM (not sure if I should use FICMrepair or BD diesel)
Coolant flush, replace with Ford Gold
Hot transmission flush
change engine oil to synthetic
install external coolant filter
New Deegas cap

Anything else you guys would do to a "new to you" truck?
By "BD EGR and Oil Cooler", do you mean Bullet Proof Diesel?? If you actually mean BD Diesel Performance (or BD Power) coolers, then I would say that I haven't seen much on their EGR products and would actually recommend Bullet Proof Diesel EGR cooler and the OEM oil cooler over the BD Power products. BPD (Bullet Proof Diesel) offers a lifetime warranty on the EGR cooler and BD Diesel is only 5 years. BPD has a long track record on their products - very good quality. Lots of "soft good" issues w/ Dorman ol coolers. Right now I would only trust OEM, unless you were spending the nig bucks on an "External" oil cooler.

For the FICM, there is NO DOUBT that I would recommend FICMRepair.com or CircuitBoardMedics.com above BD Power FICM.

Do you know if your HPOP's discharge fitting (STC fitting) has been replaced? How about the upgraded dummy plugs and standpipes?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:53 AM
StuckThrottle
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
By "BD EGR and Oil Cooler", do you mean Bullet Proof Diesel?? If you actually mean BD Diesel Performance (or BD Power) coolers, then I would say that I haven't seen much on their products and would actually recommend Bullet Proof Diesel EGR cooler and the OEM oil cooler over the BD Power products. BPD offers a lifetime warranty on the EGR cooler and BD Diesel is only 5 years. BPD has a long track record on their products - very good quality. Lots of "soft good" issues w/ Dorman ol coolers. Right now I would only trust OEM, unless you were spending the nig bucks on an "External" oil cooler.

For the FICM, there is NO DOUBT that I would recommend FICMRepair.com above BD Power FICM.

Do you know if your HPOP's discharge fitting (STC fitting) has been replaced? How about the upgraded dummy plugs and standpipes?
My mistake, I meant Bullet Proof Diesel for the EGR cooler.

Regarding the HPOP fitting, dummy plugs and standpipes, I'm totally lost, I have some reading to do. The truck is through Carmax, unfortunately they don't keep the owners records.
My Scan Gauge 2 should arrive today, so I will be busy getting familiar and loading all of the parameters you listed.

There is a Ford dealer about a mile from Carmax, I'm considering having the dealer perform a pre-purchase inspection for $160

Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 AM
watson03
New User
New member. Found an '07 4x4 F-250 diesel that I'm interested in. Right at 100,000 miles. Local dealer with a good reputation is asking a little less than $20,000 for it. Good deal if I can negotiate them down some? How comfortable should I be with that engine? Going to take a look at it this weekend.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:48 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StuckThrottle
My mistake, I meant Bullet Proof Diesel for the EGR cooler.

Regarding the HPOP fitting, dummy plugs and standpipes, I'm totally lost, I have some reading to do. The truck is through Carmax, unfortunately they don't keep the owners records.
My Scan Gauge 2 should arrive today, so I will be busy getting familiar and loading all of the parameters you listed.

There is a Ford dealer about a mile from Carmax, I'm considering having the dealer perform a pre-purchase inspection for $160
don't waste the 160 since you have the scan gauge coming. Make sure you can take a good 1 or 2 hours to run, test, and look over everything. Keep it overnight if you can so you can start fresh first thing in the morning and get a full picture. Doing all of this worked for me (thanks to this forum)

Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 PM
StuckThrottle
New User
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
don't waste the 160 since you have the scan gauge coming. Make sure you can take a good 1 or 2 hours to run, test, and look over everything. Keep it overnight if you can so you can start fresh first thing in the morning and get a full picture. Doing all of this worked for me (thanks to this forum)
Sounds good, the truck is coming down on an auto transport. I won't buy it until I get to perform a cold start and get to take my time looking everything over really good and running the scan gauge.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:56 PM
K9Boxer
New User
Deal or No Deal?

Found a Lariat with 62,500 Miles Excellent condition 4DR crew cab never 5th wheeled never abused, michelin tires, everything stock. If I caN GET 40K MILES tell I do the Bullet proofing I am good shape, 20k out the door 21500? Anyone think this a great deal?

Quick Reply: Buying a USED 6.0L