1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1970 F100 What ya think?

Old 02-07-2003, 07:24 PM
WRBarker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1970 F100 What ya think?

Well they finally got the gallery to accept new accounts again so I was able to post the picts I told some of you I would. Please take a look at my humble truck and lemme know what you think!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...?&albumid=2945

Here is my long winded story I have cut and pasted here from another thread I originaly posted to. If you're bored read on...

In my search for a truck I frequented trucktrader.com for a month or more surfing for a truck in the '70-'72 range.
I wanted something I could work on and also something "pre" California smog inspection. Besides, unlike that $30,000 new Ford truck which drops in value daily, the older trucks value have pretty much leveled out and even started to climb.
I had grown up riding in and learned to drive in a '72 F250 Camper Special my grandpa had had.
Unfortunately, he pretty much used it up (It's a Ford so it is still seeing action and running strong but is a little worse for wear).
I liked the style and dependablity but wanted a F250 HiBoy 4X4 if I was going to build one.
I know grandpas truck would be nice to have for emotional reasons but I have started at ground level on restorations before and always went from the ground straight into the hole.
Living in Northern California, I have a retired truck playground a days drive away in eastern Oregon.
I am not sure why, but there are many Ford trucks there and in deceint, high desert shape.
I surfed a while until I had four good prospects and then took the wife and her car for a little trip, about 800 miles worth.
First up was a $5000 '72 F100 4x4 that was a shortbed and reportedly in "great shape".
I know it wasn't what I started after but in talking to the kid who had it it was an interesting prospect.
I suppose I should tell you now that if you do shop in Oregon for a vehicle stay on the East side.
The valley and coast side get plenty of rain and as well the major rust that comes with it.
Lets just say this truck had spent more than one day at the beach. I dont think it was rusting anymore though as most of the body panels were comprised of plastic filler.
If I had traveled 6 hours on this kids word without the backup stops I had yet to go to, the boy and I may have had a few words!
As it was I just wrote it off. I simply smiled at the kid when he offered to bargan down the price and got in the car and left.
The second stop was actualy the main prospect on the trip.
This guy seemed to be a straight shooter who was newly married and had a child on the way.
Yup, he caught here eye in the truck and then she drove him out of it.
Lifes story.
This was a '70 F250 HiBoy with a built and dressed 390. It was lifted a couple more inches than the stock hieght to clear 35' BFG's and had rebuilt running gear from stem to stearn. The pictures looked good on- line and it was reportedly pretty straight.
Story goes that his original asking price was $7500, and of course he had that much in the drive train alone. The Trucktrader add was reduced to $6500 when I first saw it and after we did the test drive and such we bargained him down to $5700.
Now that may sound a bit high priced for an old pickup but remember I have worked into the hole before on restorations and believe me the little extra up front is money well spent on a head start.
I lucked out on the second stop and made the buy.
I left my remaining stops on the table. There was a "stock" '71 F250 HiBoy with fresh paint and engine as well I had another guys "work truck" '70 F250 4X4 that had been converted to power steering and front disc breaks (this was the last ditch stop but from the photos it was not outa the realm of possibility).
My trip worked out but only after a LOT of surfing, phone calls and e-mailed photos.
If you want to see her, shes in the Gallery on my alternative account under the handle N24X4FN.

But wait, there's more!.....

As I said, I had plans to restore this truck so I began surfing e-Bay for parts.
One day a few weeks later when making my weekly e-rounds I came upon "THE TRUCK". I still don't know what to classify it as, perhaps you can help decide.
This too was one of those "life's a *****" stories.
The truck was the result of a structural engineers 4 year persuit of the ultimate '70-'72 "F" Series 4X4.
He had flown to New Mexico initialy for the starter truck. A perfectly straight, rust free '71 F100 Short/Wide box.
He flew down, inspected and bought the truck and arranged shipping. He then flew home to Michigan the next day for work.
I have the original photos he took on that trip.
From that point he located a '70 F250 HiBoy frame doner and had it shortend and powder coated.
The axles, Dana 60 rear and Dana 44 front, were located in a '76 F250 4X4.
These he went through, adding disc breaks to the rear to match the front and all stainless lines. Add poly-urithane bushings and mounts and new stock height spring packs for that 70 stance held steady with Rancho RS5000 shocks..
The interior was completely replaced with new panels, padded dash, HighLiner stereo head liner, power sliding and tinted rear window, grey carpeting and brand new leather split bench with high backs and folding center storage/arm rest.
The original plastic dash he replaced with a stamped steel one from a late 60's F600 which he supplied with new Ford performance chrome bezeled/white face gauges.
Having all this in place there was the power plant decision to make.
With an eye to performance and fuel economy (yeah right), the guy bought a 1993 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 and 4 speed auto trans with it which he again went through prior to instalation.
He worked the heads and changed to a more 4X4 oriented camshaft and shift kit for the tranny.
He told me the motor was put together to support a super charger and even gave me the name of the one, "Blowzilla", which he had built it in prep for.
He was nearing completion of the truck when he got married (theres that "M" word again).
To make things worse, he lost his job after 9/11 due to economic slow down and eneded up on the short end of the "restoration" stick.
And thats how the truck ended up on e-Bay with a "Buy It Now!" option.
He e-mailed me some additional pics at my request, even a couple m-peg movies with sound he shot on his digital camera of the truck running up and down his driveway.
I also made a few "cold calls" to his references as he had restored vehicles for orther people professionaly on the side for several years. All of whom were very pleased with his work product.
Everything checked out and he was just a great guy to deal with.
He claimed he wanted to sell the truck to me because he fealt I would take care of it and proceed with the project (I think it may have been that I was the only one to actually contact him in a serious manor, not just a rediculous $5,000 on-line bid).
It is true that I am adding to the truck as I go, however I bought the truck as a "driver" and do just that with it.
It was nice because he had built the truck to appear stock, right down to the new 16.5" wheels and hub caps and skinny/ tall tires.
It was just like ordering a new truck from 1970 and getting to accessories how I chose.
Talk about spending more than you intended! All in all it cost me $17,000 buying and shipping the truck. $15,500 "Buy It Now" and $1,500 enclosed trailer shipping from the very top of Michigan to the middle of Northern California.
But it was worth every penny!
Upon its arival I was elated at what I had scored! The truck was all I had been lead to believe and more!
With it came a small box of parts for some little things that were left to do, and a binder with $30,000 in parts recpts. Not to mention the guys time designing, purchasing and assembling it all.
The truck was showroom new and had only 31 miles on the odometer!
I have had the truck 4 months or more now and its great! I have stomped out a few bugs and redesigned a few minor problem areas that have croped up. Like on any project the likes of this truck would produce.
Sadly, the guy who built it didn't get the chance.
He was affraid to drive it and become more attached. I can see why!

I have plans to put together a photo layout in the gallery for this truck, even took the picts to do it on Saturday.
So as soon as they get the gallery running correctly again I will post picts for all to see! If possible I will put them under the N24X4FN account with my '90 Bronco and '70 F250 4x4 but may be under WRBarker in the gallery if that doesn't work out.
If you want to see a nice truck it's worth your time to look.
If you have one of these trucks the guy who built this one had some awesome ideas, feel free to borrow them for your own ride!
Don't forget that anything you see on the outside that is not stock is my doing, like it or not.

And what of the original jewel I bought in Oregon?
I still have it.
I use it to go wheeling and do the hauling thing.
My boy seems to think it will be his, he's 15 now.
I am not so sure about that.

I guess the moral to my long winded story is that there are great deals out there to be had.
And, while there is greater comfort and WAY more piece of mind going out and first hand inspecting your potential truck, don't be afraid to take a chance on the right deal.
With good research and communication and a good amout of on-line and phone time you can get a great deal!

Good Luck!

WRBarker

P.S.

My wife says she will leave me if I ever pull a stunt like this again.
Sheeze! Women have no sense of adventure.
Truth be told, I think she was more excited about it than I was.

Old 02-07-2003, 07:59 PM
crowbar
Trailering
Thumbs up 1970 F100 What ya think?

I think I like! I believe you've found the perfect truck with the right mix of old and new. I should have bid for it when I had the chance! It's clearly in good hands though. Sharp!

Old 02-07-2003, 08:36 PM
idealtrucks
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
1970 F100 What ya think?

thats an awesome truck man! i really like the instrument bezel. what model did it come off of??

Old 02-07-2003, 08:39 PM
jor
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1970 F100 What ya think?

It's beautiful and I really enjoyed your story. Thanks.
jor

Old 02-07-2003, 09:46 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
1970 F100 What ya think?

DUDE!!!

Aside from the rear bumper (must get a chrome one on there), that truck is perfect.

Enjoy it.

Old 02-07-2003, 10:24 PM
pward76
Elder User
1970 F100 What ya think?

Very cool truck. I have a stainless steel dash bezel that I have removed the black paint from. I would be interested in taking a look at the website or catalog for those "Ford performance chrome bezeled/white face gauges" . Do you know where can I find them?"

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1970 F100 What ya think?

That is a nice truck for sure. Also the longest post I have ever seen on FTE!

Old 02-07-2003, 11:44 PM
OhioFordMan
New User
1970 F100 What ya think?

Very nice looking truck.

Old 02-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Highboy70
Senior User
1970 F100 What ya think?

Wow! Were not worthy, were not worthy. That's sharp. I especially like the dash upgrade, really looks like a custom job. Maybe someday my 1970 F250 4x4 will look as good.

Old 02-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Joe fix it
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1970 F100 What ya think?

Awsome truck, I wish I had the money to make mine look like that. Were did you get those grille inserts from??

1970 Ford F100 Custom
302 3spd

Old 02-08-2003, 08:07 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
1970 F100 What ya think?

Awesome!

Its what my sad little rusty truck dreams of being someday

Old 02-09-2003, 12:42 AM
WRBarker
New User
1970 F100 What ya think?

Thanks guys for all the positive feed back! A few of you have questions or suggestions and I read them all.
I do plan to replace the rear bumper with a chrome or stainless one. An aftermarket Reunell bumper was quoted at $800. The company is actually about 40miles from my home and I went by for a quote due to the custom nature of the application. It appears the shortening of the frame came from both the middle as well as some bobbed on the ends. It will require special made brakets that of course come at a premium from the manufaturer. Appears they don't think it embarassing to ask for $150 for $5 in materials and maybe an hour to fab them. The bumper's nice but not THAT nice! Actually I kinda like the standard chrome factory bumper that matches the front one. I will modify the bracets myself. Anyone know a good source for a quality OEM type?
As for the guages all I can tell you is they are Ford Performance. The guy that built the truck did this part but I am sure your local Ford dealership would be glad to turn you on to the catalog, for a price I would guess. Otherwise try the Ford site. Nice thing about using the late 60s and 70s instrument panels (I was told through 79 in the f500-f600 trucks) is that you can use whatever gauge manufaturer you want, the stanrd size gauges work fine! Note that here I did goof in my posting as the guages are white numerals and not white faces, DOH! But you guys can see that from the picts! And if you want them, the white faces gauges will fit too! As for the grill inserts guys either love'em or hate'em, Not to much middle ground in ratings so far. I happen to like them myself. This was part of my contribution to the truck. Again I used e-Bay to see what was available for materials. Believe it or not there does not appear to be a billet grill for this modle out there. What I used was the insert for a '97 F150, Explorer I think is the same as well. It will take 2 at $100 a pop and then you start cutting! I have photos of the tools and process but you guys can figure it out I am sure, I will post the process in the future on FTE. The application is not perfect but pretty damn close! The grills have a slight outwards bow from the late model grill design but I actually kinda like the look of it that way. I was too afraid I would waste $200 bucks to try and push my luck flattening them out! Do a little leg work here and maybe you can find a flat billet grill application for a doner but be darn sure there is enough material to cover the openings! Start cutting and they are yours reguardless what the turn out like! (no pressure here, perfection only is all we ask).
Keep the questions and comments comming as I lov'em! Thanks for looking guys!

Old 02-09-2003, 11:59 AM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
1970 F100 What ya think?

That's discusting, you suck :-(

Sorry, just green with envy.

Old 02-09-2003, 01:38 PM
OneFine69
Senior User
1970 F100 What ya think?

Sweeeeet gauge cluster! I wish I could something that nice in my truck. Do you know where he bought the billet ***** for the steering column (turn signal lever, shirt lever)?
Tristin