Pictures of my Oily Turbo!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 PM
ivansfo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures of my Oily Turbo!! Help

Hello Fellow PSD owners,

Like to get some opinions on whether this amount of oil on my turbo is normal. Is this excessive? I've taken some pictures.

This got my attention because my last oil change, I only get out 10 quarts of the 15 quarts I put in 7K miles ago. I started looking for leaks and it's all dry below. Only wet area is by the turbo which I don't recall seeing before.

A little about the truck. It's an 02 F250 with 7.3L PSD with 61k miles. The truck is all factory without any MODs. The oil in there was the Rotella 5W-40 Full SYN. I should also mention 6 months ago, I brought this truck to my dealer for 2 recalls. The CPS sensor and the cruise control issue. I don't recall seeing an oil turbo before the dealer worked on it. It's under understanding the CPS sensor is no where near this location.

Many thanks for your opinions.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normal man. Look into some upgraded boots from DieselSite or RiffRaff. DieselSite's are more but crazy heavy-duty. RiffRaff's cost less and are part silicone but everyone raves about them also.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's normal. The crankcase vent is routed into the intake before the turbo, so the oily mist goes through the CAC tubes. It's normal for some of that oily mist to seep out on a stock truck exactly as you have pictured. This is why some people do the CCV mod.

You aren't really losing much oil through the crankcase vent, and you aren't leaking it if you don't see oil dripping on the ground. Keep an eye on oil consumption. If it continues to get worse, you possibly have bad injector o-rings, or something else going on. As a quick test, you could get some hose, hook it up to the fuel filter bowl drain tube, and drain the fuel out of the bowl and into a container. If the fuel looks dark, you've found where your oil is going. That would be a sure sign of failed injector o-rings.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Great post Curtis. Glad to see you around. Thought of you a few weeks ago when we went from Durango to Alamosa to Pueblo to Colorado Springs and over to Kansas.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Normal... Do the CCV mod and continue on...

Old 06-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Looks like a Cali truck. If he lives there he probably won't get away with the CCV mod.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:57 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
true... a catch can and back to factory would work...

Old 06-25-2010, 11:29 PM
ivansfo
New User
Appreciate the swift responses. You guys are good! This is certainly a Cali truck.

I'm relieved to hear this is normal but I'm going to clean it all up and look into those MODs to help slow down the process. I've had this truck now for about 4 years and that area was super clean when I bought it from the dealer. I'm sure it was detailed at the dealer prior to sale. I really want to get it back to that condition.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:41 PM
ivansfo
New User
Originally Posted by Orezona
Normal man. Look into some upgraded boots from DieselSite or RiffRaff. DieselSite's are more but crazy heavy-duty. RiffRaff's cost less and are part silicone but everyone raves about them also.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful. Is this the boot kit you are talking about?
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=133

And how easy would it be to replace?

While I'm pretty handy around the house and garage, I've not dare to work on this engine yet except oil and filter (oil, air, fuel) changes.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's them. Not hard to replace at all. Clay's kit is real nice too.

Riffraff Diesel: RDP Complete Aramid Boot Kit

Old 06-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Are you guys sure that is normal? I haven't done the CCV mod and my IC pipes don't look anything like that. Using 5 quarts of oil seems excessive as well, especially with the low miles on the truck.

What would happen if the air filter was filthy and restricting flow? Would the turbo suck the oil out of the crankcase through the CCV?

Here is a pic of my IC pipes.

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 AM
ivansfo
New User
Originally Posted by gchavez
What would happen if the air filter was filthy and restricting flow? Would the turbo suck the oil out of the crankcase through the CCV?
Greg,

My air filter was changed out about 5k miles ago. The filter I removed wasn't dry like my gassers. The filter had some of that black soot on it like shown on the boots. Not a lot but enough I found it odd.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:20 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
Not meaning to sound snippy, but if you don't keep your oil level up you are begging for serious trouble.

5 quarts low is horrible. The oil makes your truck run. You will see lots of posts where a truck won't run right or won't even start. One of the first questions asked "Is your oil level good?"

Either watch your dipstick or be called one!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:50 AM
scratcherky
Junior User
IMO, you are asking for trouble with 7K between oil changes. Keep a check on your oil level and see how much you have added at the 5K mark. My boots look just like yours but I do not have to add oil between 5K oil changes.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Orezona
Great post Curtis. Glad to see you around. Thought of you a few weeks ago when we went from Durango to Alamosa to Pueblo to Colorado Springs and over to Kansas.
You could have stopped by for a beer.

I don't think people on the forum realize that I have a kegerator. Otherwise, I would probably have a house full of people every week from FTE vacationers

Quick Reply: Pictures of my Oily Turbo!! Help