6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Need Help With Fuel PSI Gauge Intstall.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 PM
motor-man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help With Fuel PSI Gauge Intstall.

Fellas,

I just received my Autometer fuel pressure gauge, and have a question. After doing some fuel PSI installation research here, it seems I need an adaptor...Is the adapter necessary or just recommended?

I just received my SCT Touchscreen Extreme, so I want to start monitoring fuel pressure ASAP. Problem is, here in Canada any kind of order from the US. such as Diesel Manor or Sinister Diesel takes a good 2 weeks (at least) for anything to arrive. Is ordering an adapter from one of these sites the only way to do this? If so, which is best? Link?

Maby there is a site in Canada that sells the adapter I need?

Thanks...

Old 06-25-2010, 06:26 PM
motor-man
Senior User
I just re-read my Autometer fuel PSI instructions and here's what it says.

"For Ford fuel injected applications with a Schrader valve in the fuel rail, use adapter 3280 between the fuel rail and the pressure sender."

I searched 3280 on their site and here's the adapter I found. Will this work?

Auto Meter

Old 06-25-2010, 06:51 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
but a 6.0 does not have a test valve.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
The 6.0 has a test PORT that you can see here: http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_030.jpg it takes an adapter fitting m12x1.5 to 1/8 npt

Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure if this will work for the Autometer gauge,But this is what I just got for my Glowshift gauge.

6.0L Fuel Pressure Adapter

Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 PM
djanzen
Elder User

Just look your local phone book for hydraulics shops in your area and go purchase the m12x1.5 to whatever your gauge requires. that is what I did. also alot cheaper

Old 06-26-2010, 08:41 AM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Peak Diesel in Langley BC are great guys to deal with and have all kinds of goodies for our powerstrokes.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:28 AM
motor-man
Senior User
Thanks for all the replys.

Originally Posted by djanzen
Just look your local phone book for hydraulics shops in your area and go purchase the m12x1.5 to whatever your gauge requires. that is what I did. also alot cheaper
I think I'm going to give this a try. thanks.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:15 PM
chromedom
Junior User
Just did mine a few weeks ago. Had to get the m12x1.5 adapter to 1/8" pipe. The fitting is long and the points of the nut hits the casing. On the thread side I turned down the fitting to .667. left about 1/2" of the fitting end for tightening. Had to put on a 45 deg fitting to fit in that space. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow and show the fitting. Its available at your local pipe store.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 PM
motor-man
Senior User
Well I got the adapter from a local hydraulics shop and installed the gauge tonight.

From the port, sender is a little tight, touching a rad hose, so i may end up throwing a 90 degree fitting in there. We'll see.

Mounted the gauge on the pillar with a single pod. Fits and looks very nice. I got the Autometer NV gauge, which is white faced and lights up green to match the dash.

Fuel pressure stays around 51psi, but I only drove the truck for 2 mins and it was cold. We'll see what it's like after a day of driving tomorrow.

One question. I want the gauge to light up when i switch the headlamps on, and non-lit when the lights are off. I tried a couple different fuses and cant get it. Right now the gauge is always lit up no matter what.

What do you think?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
For what it's worth, our fuel pressure tester taps into the secondary fuel filter housing next to the pressure regulator, via a banjo bolt fitting.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 PM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should have a key on power wire going to the gauge and an illumnation wire going to the gauge. Pop out the dimmer/lights switch panel out and tap the illumnation wire into the light blue with pink stripe wire. That's the dimmer switch wire and that should fix it. To pop that switch cover off take the panel off from under the steering wheel and unbolt the fuse box and move push it out to the side. Reach up in there and there's some metal tabs on the light switch/dimmer control panel. Just push in on one of those metal tabs and pop it out. The light blue with pink stripe wire is also somewhere in one of the pins in the fusebox but I tried tapping into it there and the radio got louder and did some funky stuff. My directions weren't exactly up to par or the wiring was screwy so that's why I just tied it in at the dimmer. Good luck and hope this helps.

Thanks

Shawn

Old 06-30-2010, 05:05 PM
motor-man
Senior User
Originally Posted by SHAWN056.0
You should have a key on power wire going to the gauge and an illumnation wire going to the gauge. Pop out the dimmer/lights switch panel out and tap the illumnation wire into the light blue with pink stripe wire. That's the dimmer switch wire and that should fix it. To pop that switch cover off take the panel off from under the steering wheel and unbolt the fuse box and move push it out to the side. Reach up in there and there's some metal tabs on the light switch/dimmer control panel. Just push in on one of those metal tabs and pop it out. The light blue with pink stripe wire is also somewhere in one of the pins in the fusebox but I tried tapping into it there and the radio got louder and did some funky stuff. My directions weren't exactly up to par or the wiring was screwy so that's why I just tied it in at the dimmer. Good luck and hope this helps.

Thanks

Shawn
Alright thanks. Now which fuse exactly did you tap into? If I find it doing some weird stuff as well then I will try tapping into the dimmer.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:13 PM
rocky1074
Elder User
You can check out MoyockPowerstroke's Album on his fuel pressure gauge install. Great Pic's with wiring.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - MoyockPowerstroke's Album: Fuel Pressure Gauge Installed

Old 06-30-2010, 06:25 PM
motor-man
Senior User
Originally Posted by rocky1074
You can check out MoyockPowerstroke's Album on his fuel pressure gauge install. Great Pic's with wiring.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - MoyockPowerstroke's Album: Fuel Pressure Gauge Installed
Thanks, but i have already tried that. If was the first combo i tried. By doing it that way, my gauge is always lit up, lights on or off.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Fuel PSI Gauge Intstall.