1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I run live wire to an electric intank pump without it blowing up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Breaker Breaker 3-3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Can I run live wire to an electric intank pump without it blowing up?

wanna check to make sure the break is because the wiring and not the pump hanger -- new fuel pump -- won't send power & Have check wiring from relay to batter...relay gets juice and new pump...so somewhere between the hanger assembly and the relay...i think.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 AM
rob29956
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't you try ohming the wire out with a DVOM Digital volt ohm meter first? That will tell you where the break is by telling you whether you have continuity or not......

Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Be sure to check the inertia disconnect switch.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rob29956
Why don't you try ohming the wire out with a DVOM Digital volt ohm meter first? That will tell you where the break is by telling you whether you have continuity or not......
I could not agree more with you. Yes you could run a live wire into the tank, that is how the fuel pump operates. The problem is when you have a spark- taht will create an ignition source for an explosion. Thing is that a relay is a large short circuit box that magnetically charges the switch when energized. Yes it is enclosed and therefore you probably would not have a problem, but why risk it?
Also, running a relay will tell you if you have voltage, but will not tell you if you have proper amperage. It also will energize within a close proximity of 12VDC. It is entirely possible that the relay will click off of 10 or 11VDC, or 12VDC but minimal amperage, and yet not have anywhere near a high enough amperage to operate the fuel pump. Then because the relay clicked you will have eliminated the wiring as the issue when it still may be the problem. Get a DVOM connected to it and run a resistance test, then a voltage drop test. It is the only way to truly tell what is going on back there, and much safer too.