EGR Cooler/Oil Cooler replacement - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR Cooler/Oil Cooler replacement

Old 06-24-2010, 12:59 PM
New User

Wrapn3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
EGR Cooler/Oil Cooler replacement

So the dealer says I need to replace the EGR Cooler and the Oil Cooler in my 04 F350 6.0. Question is if I unplug the EGR valve do I still need to replace or bypass the EGR cooler as well as replace the Oil Cooler? Dealer isn't doing this a friend is. Just replaced the EGR valve last month. Thanks
Old 06-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Elder User

w_huisman has a good reputation on FTE.w_huisman has a good reputation on FTE.
What were your symptoms? White exhaust smoke indicates a ruptured EGR cooler, which is typically caused by a plugged oil cooler.

Is your truck an early 2004 (ICP sensor under the turbo) or a late 2004 (ICP sensor in the rightside valve cover)?

If you have a way to do so, check your engine hot coolant temp and oil temp. Your oil cooler is restricted/plugged and in need of replacement if the oil temp exceeds coolant temp by more than 15 degrees.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:39 PM
New User

white smoke on acceleration at first, then black on take off. Loss of power. Not sure of late or early bought it in April 04 new. Don't know how to check the temps but the dealer told me the oil temp does not drop as it should
Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrapn3 View Post
...Question is if I unplug the EGR valve do I still need to replace or bypass the EGR cooler as well as replace the Oil Cooler? ....
Yes.

White smoke indicates burning coolant from a possible ruptured EGR cooler, which is most likely caused by a plugged/partially plugged oil cooler.

I'd guess your dealer is on the right track.

If you are doing the work yourself, you may want to consider installing an EGR cooler delete instead of a new EGR cooler. Bear in mind, however, that the SES light may be set with deletion of the EGR cooler. This is more likely on the 2004.5 and newer trucks than it is on the early-2004 and 2003 model years.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:42 PM
New User

I was planning on installing a bypass on the egr cooler. as well as a new oil cooler or maybe a oil cooler rebuild kit?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Elder User

Oil cooler efficiency can be confirmed by monitoring oil temps and coolant temps, but you are probably on the right path.

When most anyone refers to replacing the oil cooler, they're most likely installing the rebuild kit, which replaces the heat exchanger portion of the oil cooler.

Replacing the entire oil cooler, housing + heat exchanger, isn't usually necessary.

I'll be replacing the heat exchanger in my oil cooler next week. I can't wait.

Do a coolant flush before the repair, if possible. Then install a coolant filter afterward to prevent another plugged oil cooler.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:23 PM
New User

Thanks! will do on both the flush and filter! You have been very helpful can't thank you enough!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrapn3 View Post
white smoke on acceleration at first, then black on take off. Loss of power. Not sure of late or early bought it in April 04 new. Don't know how to check the temps but the dealer told me the oil temp does not drop as it should
You can tell a late build 04 by the ICP sensor in the front end of the passenger side valve cover.

I'm a little concerned about the white smoke then black smoke and loss of power. It's possible you have more than one thing going on. If you park the truck pointed down a decent incline you can sometimes pull the EGR valve and look for the presence of coolant. You might also see oily residue so don't confuse the two. Coolant would definitely indicate a leaky EGR cooler. You might also consider doing a turbo cleaning while it's out to do the oil cooler and EGR cooler.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:37 PM
New User

Great thanks! The fellow working on it is a real certified diesel mechanic and I will share everything you have told me with him!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
There's a LOT of difference in a certified diesel mechanic and a 6.0 mechanic. If he has NO previous experience with the 6.0 then good luck and check back here often for information. The tech folder will help HIM lots.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
New User

He admits he has never before done the EGR bypass but he has done the valves and oil coolers, I have already alerted him to this forum and the tech folders which he says are excellent! You guys are a huge help! Thanks