1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 in a world of Hurt!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 09:24 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man this new 6.0 psd is in big trouble !

I'm reading some pretty serious things at other websites and some here !

Why ? Is it because ford put there own spec's over navistar or what is it ?

Unconfirmed reports of stop production of the 6.0
again !

reports of dealers refunding money to customers !

I was under the impression that this engine was tested for 4-5 yrs !

any thoughts guys ?

Rich

Old 02-07-2003, 09:43 AM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[censored] happens! My ears are ringing from the "I told you so's" of all the guys who suggested waiting a year or two for the bugs to be ironed out before getting the 6.0

Old 02-07-2003, 09:45 AM
CrazyWilly
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what problems....

can we get a few examples? & why are they stopping production?

(not trying to rub salt in the wounds...just curious)

Old 02-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru

1. Failed "O"-rings on injectors= fuel contamination in oil resulting in turbo/engine life reduction.
2. Romp-Romp at startup
3. Oil leaks at Bell Housing and other locations.
4. Loss of power until restart.
5. Motor quits/stalls at red lights/intersections.
6. Tranny/engine go/no go when gear selected.
7. Throttle depressed but no power/engine rpm change.

Darn it. I HOPE they get this fixed as I may want one in a year or two

Old 02-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Texcowboy9
New User

Sorry to hear all this bad news, I have just about talked myself into a F250 PSD. Think I'll wait until about the end of the year and see what the situation is then with the 6.0

Old 02-07-2003, 06:23 PM
tigerman
Senior User

I don't want no truck that looks like that truck with the hood up............not that my 5.4 Triton is a thing of beauty......at least compared to 70's trucks.

Old 02-07-2003, 11:15 PM
keith w
Posting Guru

I'll tell ya...I've been in the market for a new Superduty for the past two years almost. I put it off and continued pushing my little 95 F150 beyond what it was supposed to do. By last spring I just decided to wait it out for the 6.0. Meanwhile the F150 engine and trans was wearing out and didn't want to work no more! I figured it would last until December, which it did. Rather than ditching the 150 I decided to go ahead and put a fresher engine and rebuilt transmission in it. While I was working on it I had to rent a truck, borrow a truck, and whatever else to get by. I need a truck basically everyday and tow a trailer with it almost as often. After all the money was added up I had dumped almost 3000 bucks in my truck. I could have kicked myself in the *** for not just buying a new 6.0

Then I start hearing all these things about them I still need a better tow vehicle than a 150, but at least I'm not in a position that I have to buy one tomorrow. I don't know if I can wait for them to straighten out all the problems though. I am tempted to just go buy a V10. It's not like I need a diesel I never tow more than 6000 lbs, maybe I would if I had the diesel
I realize the mileage will probably suck compared to the diesel, but the thought of buying a $38k truck and then having a $38k truck sitting in the shop makes it not seem like that big of a deal. Another thing is, the getting is good on the V10. It comes out about 5,000 dollars cheaper than the 6.0/Torqueshift, and then has a $2500 rebate on top of that. $7500 is a whole hell of a lot of gas!

I don't know what to do

Old 02-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru

[i]

the V10. It comes out about 5,000 dollars cheaper than the 6.0/Torqueshift, and then has a $2500 rebate on top of that. $7500 is a whole hell of a lot of gas!

I don't know what to do [/B]
You may have answered your own question

Another option is to find a new or used 7.3 PSD. Lord knows there is enough of them out on the market.

I'm really wishing I was wrong to advise people last year NOT to buy new model releases....this is one I DIDN'T want to be right about

Old 02-08-2003, 06:36 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Most of these glitches appear to be software bugs that can be fixed with a simple reflash. Give Ford a little time, they will get it worked out.

The oil leaks seem to be more of a nuisance than a real reliability issue. Still, I think that it will take an engine pull/tear down to fix that one.

I really did not concern myself with the new engine and was getting ready to order a new 6.0, but went with the 7.3 because of the price issue (no rebate/0% financing on the 6.0).

If I used my truck for personal transportation, work, school, etc., I would not be too worried about the glitches. Although a pain, they seem to be easy fixes.

My problem is that I use my truck primarily to pull my car trailer 1000-1500 miles from home. I really do not want to deal with a "no power" issue out on the highway with trailer in tow. I want my truck to start the first time, every time. That is what my '99 SD PSD did. NEVER let me down. Always started. Always ran perfect. I know that some people have had trouble with the 7.3, but at least all of this annoyances are worked out.

Also, EVERY Ford dealer in the country has a mechanic who has worked on a 7.3. Every parts counter has, or can get easily, parts for a 7.3. It will be a year or two before the mechanics have experience with the 6.0, and all the parts stores start stocking parts.

Old 02-08-2003, 07:24 AM
79CEEJAY
Elder User

I'm glad I went with the 7.3! I am sure the problems with the new 6.0 can and will be worked out. I am just sorry for the new owners whose experience may taint their opinion of Ford. They pail ALL thwe money to have this new engine/trans and now are having problems like this. What a mess! I hope everything works out and everybody can look forward to the new 6.0 being as good as the 7.3.

Old 02-08-2003, 08:46 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've got one coming into the shop Monday- runs fine except for the "yo-yo" idle, and sometimes feels like it's going to stall at a stoplight. Also at idle, there's a lot of blue smoke- obviously a lot of unburnt fuel getting through. Mileage has been pretty bad, but I think that's customer-caused ( he admits that he "enjoys" the turbo). I'll let you all know what we find out. Let's hope it is just an easy-to-fix electronics glitch. Ford is in NO position at this time, with this motor, to have put something on the market that wasn't ready for production. Y'all keep your fingers crossed.

Old 02-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Outpost22
Posting Guru

Originally posted by jschira
Most of these glitches appear to be software bugs that can be fixed with a simple reflash.
I hope that is true, yet some guys get "reflashed" and still have the problem. The scariest thing to me is the injector issue. When you have 12 quarts of diesel fuel in your oil, how much engine life is "lost" due to lack of lubricity? Is Ford replacing the engine, or just the turbo, or none of the above. All this on trucks with only a few miles? How much of your engine life do you want to gamble with in this scenario. For $40-45K you shouldn't have to gamble at all

Old 02-08-2003, 11:08 AM
460lover
Senior User

I am seriously thinking of buying a new truck within the next year to 14 months, I hope they have it figured out. If all the predictions of how great the 6.0 will be, I might get out of my gasser shell and go diesel, but then there is the 5 or 6K price differenence and the no rebate or 0% financing on it.

Old 02-08-2003, 07:42 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no doubt in my mind that Ford will get things worked out, but it upsets me that they are having these kinds of problems. What happened to all the testing they supposedly did before releasing this to the public?

Bad sensors & software that cause the truck to lose power or even stall isn't just a minor glitch- it's a MAJOR safety hazard. Leaking rear main seals, IMO, are also a big reliability issue.

As for the leaky injectors dumping fuel into the oil, it looks like those guys get new injectors and a new turbo- thats it. Guess we'll find out in the future whether the problems cause any long-term reliability issues.

Anyway, I say to those who own these problematic engines (not all are having these problems), raise some hell so Ford will take notice of the problems. Ignoring or down-playing them only tells Ford that it's OK with us for them to built sub-standard products.

Old 02-08-2003, 09:25 PM
boblamp
Freshman User
Unhappy 6.0 in a world of Hurt!!!!!!

There's no doubt in my mind that Ford will get things worked out, but it upsets me that they are having these kinds of problems. What happened to all the testing they supposedly did before releasing this to the public?

Bad sensors & software that cause the truck to lose power or even stall isn't just a minor glitch- it's a MAJOR safety hazard. Leaking rear main seals, IMO, are also a big reliability issue.

As for the leaky injectors dumping fuel into the oil, it looks like those guys get new injectors and a new turbo- thats it. Guess we'll find out in the future whether the problems cause any long-term reliability issues.

Anyway, I say to those who own these problematic engines (not all are having these problems), raise some hell so Ford will take notice of the problems. Ignoring or down-playing them only tells Ford that it's OK with us for them to built sub-standard products.
[/QUOTE]

Man, I sure hope so!!!! I'm in the market for a new truck and I pretty much sold myself on the new 6.0 and Torque Shift tranny. I test drove both a 6.0 and a 7.3 (with auto). Both trucks were identical exept for engine/trans. The 7.3 seemed like a real dog I need more truck than my current 2000 F150 (7700 package) and the lease expires in May. I can't wait a year or two for bugs to be worked out Of course, if I could do without a truck for a year or two, I would have one helluva downpayment on the new truck Keep us updated on the "problems"

Bob

Quick Reply: 6.0 in a world of Hurt!!!!!!