How do I adjust the parking brake? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

How do I adjust the parking brake?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:04 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.
How do I adjust the parking brake?

This 01 is my first NBS truck, and it does not have an ajuster on the cable like on the older trucks with rear drum brakes.
The parking brake does almost nothing.
How do adjust it?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM
dchamberlain
Post Fiend
dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Like you would adjust an old-style drum brake. On the backing plate should be an oval hole with a plug in it. Behind the plug should be a thumbscrew that you can catch with a brake adjusting tool to move the shoes out.

From my 2004 service manual.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
3. Remove the brake adjusting hole cover from the backing plate.
4. Turn the brake adjuster screw (2041) to expand the parking brake shoe and linings until they drag against the drum-in-hat rotor.
5. Back off the brake adjuster screw until no drag is evident.

Attached Images   
Old 06-23-2010, 12:28 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks, thats what I needed to know!

Old 06-13-2015, 02:05 PM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Can this be done with the wheel in place? Or is the adj. entry hole covered?

Old 06-13-2015, 08:23 PM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
You should be able to get at it with the wheel/tire on. You just have to crawl under the truck farther.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by BPofMD View Post
I adjust mine with the truck on tires on the ground no problem. You can raise the tire off the ground to see where it starts dragging with the parking brake on and off, there is usually a point where it is to tight or loose.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:38 PM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
You have to pull the axle out some to spin the wheel freely to do that.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
You have to pull the axle out some to spin the wheel freely to do that.
um no

Old 06-14-2015, 06:24 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
CPaulsen has a good reputation on FTE.CPaulsen has a good reputation on FTE.
Never pulled the axle out a little to adjust mine...always do it with the wheel on....just jack it up a little to get the tire off the ground.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:38 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by BPofMD View Post
Yes, why does (step 2) manual call for the wheel and tire to be removed?

Old 06-14-2015, 09:45 AM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
Yes, why does (step 2) manual call for the wheel and tire to be removed?
Good question. There is no logical reason for that step since the adjustment is actually easier with the wheel on as the wheel makes it easier to turn the whole thing by hand.

I've never removed the wheel to make this adjustment.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:18 AM
dkf
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
um no
BOTH rear tires have to be off the ground (with the axle shafts in) in order to spin the rear tire, you can't just lift the one you are adjusting. Even then you can feel the drag of the shoe much better when the axle shaft is pulled out from the reduce drag. Sounds like I have much higher standards when adjusting shoes.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:45 AM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Thanks for answering my question....didn't mean to start an argument!

Old 06-14-2015, 07:30 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Well - I'm all for doing things correctly. (Or at least, knowing what rules are being broken)

Typically there is a method to the madness. That's why I asked. Oftentimes FORD and other manuals aren't very good though, at explaining why a procedure is done a certain way.

A similar example - The F100 truck manual brake shoe adjustment procedure (after replacement) waaaay back in 1964 sez to tighten brake shoes till a slight drag is felt when drum is rotated, then step 3. "remove drum" (in bold letters), (back off adjuster, etc) then also in bold "any other adjustment procedure may cause damage to the adjusting screw with consequent self-adjuster problems."

They thought enough to put all this in bold letters, but it doesn't really make sense, nor is any explanation given.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:18 AM
DavidB
Elder User
DavidB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DavidB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like I have much higher standards when adjusting shoes
Or, much less ability to perform simple tasks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I adjust the parking brake?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.