1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

After months of prep ...............

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:17 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great job!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 AM
MCarlson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DB,
Seeing your last picture brings up my next step. installing the engine mounts. I've read every post I can find on driveline phasing and angles. The info I'm looking for is just how much of the truck did you have to mock up to figure out where your engine mounts needed to be? I have the tube style 302 mount that I have to trim and then bolt/weld between the frame rails. I have an extra 302 block to use with my AOD trans. I'm pretty sure I'll have to buy the shifter I want to use, mount the cab to figure out where it will set and probable set the front end on also. Looking at you photo, should I go ahead and pick out the headers I want to use to make sure they clear the frame? I hadn't thought of those before.
Mike

Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 AM
69supercj
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dirt Boy
I have a very good friend who paints yachts for a living, she's used to working is less than perfect conditions. She's a perfectionist.

DB
WOW, thats unusual. Very Cool, but quite unusual. She got a sister?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Dirt Boy
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the orginial 272 block with a 306 kit from John Mummert, so I don't need to worry about setting up a new block. We had some clearance problems with the thermostat housing. We also mocked up the A/C and discovered we needed to slightly modify the mounting brackets to get everything in line.

I was worried about the headders clearing the fuel tank but once we got everything in place there was pleanty of room. The headders are from Red's Headders, I opted for the long ones with metallic/ceramic coating. It looks good and should run good.

DB

Old 06-27-2010, 10:58 PM
ghart
Senior User
good for you, DB! makin many folks around here jealous, i imagine

six years... that's patience and determination!