Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP F-350 eating radiators

Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
trcno
New User
trcno is starting off with a positive reputation.
HELP F-350 eating radiators

I have a 2000 F-350 diesel with 500,000 miles. Runs great and other than general maintenance have only replaced #8 injector, however I have serious issues with radiator and heater core leaking. I have been replacing either the radiator or heater core at least one or the other every 6-8 months. DC voltage measured in coolant varies from .2 to .8v. I have flushed coolant each time replacing radiator and am using 2 bottles Ford coolant treatment each time and each 6 months if radiator lasts that long. Can't seem to correct this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
You might consider installing a coolant filter. If you are flushing the system with hard water you might have a lot of build-up in the system.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
I'm not very well versed on this particular subject, but if your truck is eating heat exchangers like that it is caused by excess electrolysis caused by poor conductivity on grounds, etc.
What I would do is make a bunch of grounding connections on both the front and back of the engine, tailshaft assembly of the tranny.
New grounding connections from the cab to the chassis.
New grounding connections from the frame to the battery
Clean down to bare metal every connection.
Solder a new grounding wire to the core of the radiator and the heater core and ground it to bare metal.
If that doesn't do it, I don't know what will.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
jwhitetail is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Try Evans npg+ cooling.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
Sheldon Plankton has a good reputation on FTE.Sheldon Plankton has a good reputation on FTE.Sheldon Plankton has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead View Post
I'm not very well versed on this particular subject.....
Me neither, but I believe Kwikk is on the right track. Its possible to have your coolant analyzed for the presence of certain compounds (can't remember which ones) which would indicate abnormal current flow through your cooling system.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:13 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE. Sounds like an interesting problem for sure. The coolant filter was my first thought, but after Dan's post, I'm wondering about a voltage or ground issue.

I'm interested in your .2v - .8v DC reading. Are you just sticking both probes into the coolant with the meter set to read DC? Engine running for the reading?

Old 06-23-2010, 06:02 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
I think also that coolant PH has a lot to do with it.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
TSB about repeat heater core failure.
The fix involves adding grounds and a flow restrictor.
A bad alternator is also on the suspect list.

06-21-19***HEATER CORE LEAKAGE AND ELECTROLYSIS (INFORMATION ONLY)

But one part of it was something that I did not know:

DO NOT GROUND HEATER CORE. IF THE HEATER CORE IS GROUNDED, YOU HAVE PROVIDED THE ELECTROLOSIS A PATH THROUGH THE HEATER CORE. THIS WOULD CAUSE THE HEATER CORE TO BECOME AN ANODE OR RECEIVER AND IT WOULD PROMOTE THE ELECTROLOSIS, OR ANY STRAY VOLTAGE TO USE THE COOLANT AS THE GROUND PATH.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 AM
240spoke
Senior User
240spoke is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I swapped out my heater core it had a ground wire added to it......I also was told by a very good machinist that diesels build a ton of static between the cylinders and that if you dont have the treatment int he water it could cause pin holes in the cylinder walls....He said thats why he sleeves most blocks....

Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
This is a slight thread highjack.
240spoke do you have some pictures of that Ford Galaxie 7.3 transplant?
Perhaps start another thread about it?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:07 AM
240spoke
Senior User
240spoke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey here is the post i put up awhile back...Its a link to a motorcycle site my friend is on....I have had to stop on the project for now...I lost my job for now...I will get back to it one day.....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ransplant.html

Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Thanks. I'll go read it.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 AM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
jwhitetail is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Like i said before Evans npg+ cooling

Old 06-23-2010, 02:36 PM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Using a DVM on its lowest voltage setting, put the negative lead on the ground terminal of the battery (not the cable clamp). Dip the positive probe into the degas bottle. What's the reading?

The presence or not of anti-cavitation chemicals in the coolant has nothing to do with electrolysis. The P-h balance, some of the other (non-cavitation) chemicals, and electrical grounding DOES.

What is the p-h of the coolant? Do you have litmus paper? Is there any reserve alkalinity? Have you sent off a sample of coolant for lab analysis? Polaris Labs is a good one.

Are ALL of the ground wires and cables on clean, electrically-solid grounds? This includes frame to body, body to engine, engine to frame, battery to frame, battery to engine, etc, etc.

This kind of electrolysis sometimes happens when even very small details are overlooked.

Some tips:
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/foru...ng-system.html

Pop