2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aggressive yet quiet A/T Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Gearbanger 101
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's on my last ranger and like them a lot. A little noisy on the wet pavement, but not overly. Good looking tire too. I might try the Goodyear Silent Armours next though, based on all of the positive reviews I've heard.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
nnero
Elder User
If it means anything to you, I will be buying a set of the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors before winter time. I have heard nothing but good things about them and have some experience with them on a vehicle at work. I just cant decide between 4 or 10 ply for my 18" rims.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 PM
rvx290
Junior User
Originally Posted by rockstate45
How many miles do you guys think you'll see out of the Gyear D'tracs?

Also, are they too squishy on a truck like this (a half ton)?

I
-rockstate

...from all the reviews I have read and stories I have heard from the tire shops and people that I know that have used them, I dont think they would be too squishy for a halfton, but a 3/4 ton or larger, It tends to be a problem for alot of guys.

....I am really torn, I dont know if it varys that much truck to truck, but the DuraTracs do seem like an excellent tire, I am just worried they would be too noisy, alot of reviews and the guys I know have told me that they arent noisy, BUT maybe they mean not that noisy... for an aggressive A/T tire, because I have to say the z71 I rode in had them, and on a highway trip I could see it getting quite annoying, they did have a drone, ..unless maybe chevys dont have as much sound deadening as the fords of the same year? I would think there wouldnt be much difference in interior db's nowadays. Hope I am wrong though because I really wanted the Duratracs.

PS I am not trying to be one of those impossible people that expects to find an extremely knobby mudder with zero noise, just trying to find the balance of the best enginnered tire that is aggressive enough to handle some offroad work, but quiet enough that it wont drive the wife and kids nuts when we go on a road trip thanks for everyone input thus far!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 PM
slhf150
Senior User
You've used the BFG AT TA before and found it decent.

It's a pretty good compromise tire.

* More agressive than those "Long Trail" and other street type tires that the factory puts on new trucks.

* Mild enough mannered that hard core dirt/mud junkies lambast it.

* What I read suggests it actually works better in snow than some of the more agressive mud tires, but I haven't had mine through a winter yet to confirm or deny.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Golflug
Senior User
Goodyear silent armor - I luv em

Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I do not recommend the Toyo Open country ATs..........seemingly soft rubber compound that wears quickly, less than stellar on the wife's easy driven Explorer, and down right lousy on buddies F-150.............Oh, but they are quiet.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:19 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
I get really confused really easily when it comes to all these different tires, and what all of them look like. So I uploaded every tire we talked about this far... feel free to add to them. I also may have missed on. I hope this helps.

BF Goodrich AT TAName:  BFGoodrichATTA.jpg
Views: 2195
Size:  27.9 KBBridgestone Revo 2Name:  BridgestoneRevo2.jpg
Views: 2279
Size:  24.3 KBDunlop M/T MaxxName:  DunlopMTMaxx.jpg
Views: 2300
Size:  14.5 KBFirestone Destination ATName:  FirestoneDestinationAT.jpg
Views: 2263
Size:  11.2 KBGeneral Grabber A/T 2Name:  GeneralGrabberAT2.jpg
Views: 2440
Size:  17.2 KB
Goodyear Wrangler DuratracGoodyear Wrangler MTR KevlarName:  GoodyearWranglerMTRKevlar.jpg
Views: 2271
Size:  32.0 KB
Goodyear Wrangler Silent ArmorName:  GoodyearWranglerSilentArmor.jpg
Views: 2299
Size:  24.3 KBHankook A/T MName:  HankookATM.jpg
Views: 2299
Size:  46.3 KB
Nitto Terra Grappler A/TName:  NittoTerraGrapplerAT.jpg
Views: 2263
Size:  14.6 KBToyo Open Country A/TName:  image.jpg
Views: 2243
Size:  11.6 KB

Old 06-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Grantman
Freshman User
I always used the BFG's through 8 winters in Inndianapolis and 4 winters in Wisconsin. I realy liked them because with a 5 tire rotation (aways bought a 5th tire and rim so size would match on the spare) I seemed to get about 55 - 60 K out of a set. I only got stuck once, but the snow plow couldn't make it up the hill to my house either. I found them pretty quiet on the highway and aggressive enough for the deer hunting that I do. Now that I'm back in SoCal I just use stock size street tires

Old 06-23-2010, 09:28 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rvx290
...from all the reviews I have read and stories I have heard from the tire shops and people that I know that have used them, I dont think they would be too squishy for a halfton, but a 3/4 ton or larger, It tends to be a problem for alot of guys.

....I am really torn, I dont know if it varys that much truck to truck, but the DuraTracs do seem like an excellent tire, I am just worried they would be too noisy, alot of reviews and the guys I know have told me that they arent noisy, BUT maybe they mean not that noisy... for an aggressive A/T tire, because I have to say the z71 I rode in had them, and on a highway trip I could see it getting quite annoying, they did have a drone, ..unless maybe chevys dont have as much sound deadening as the fords of the same year? I would think there wouldnt be much difference in interior db's nowadays. Hope I am wrong though because I really wanted the Duratracs.

PS I am not trying to be one of those impossible people that expects to find an extremely knobby mudder with zero noise, just trying to find the balance of the best enginnered tire that is aggressive enough to handle some offroad work, but quiet enough that it wont drive the wife and kids nuts when we go on a road trip thanks for everyone input thus far!
I was gonna say, depending on how often you go on road trips, suck it up! lol I drive 900 miles probably 6-8 times a year and it doesn't bother me. However, with family, I see where your'e coming from.

The KOs are a good tire.. but the Silent Armor may be what you're looking for. Same great on road and snow traction as the KO, but it doesn't have the look or sound that comes along with it. The KOs really are quiet... I'll take a video for you right now and upload it here, if I can....

-rockstate

Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Here goes... if you have good speakers, you can hear the hum. The windows are up about 10 seconds into the video.

Tires have another 5K miles left on 'em, so they're going to be louder than new..

[youtube]rG8ZkKbTlBs[/youtube]

-rockstate

Old 06-23-2010, 12:18 PM
dfishrmn88
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the General AT2s. Have 30K plus miles on them and still more than half tread left. I do about half highway and half city with a lot of country driving on gravel including off road to farms and ranchs. They can be a little noisy at highway speeds on pavement that has "aggregate" type surfacing but not bad at all. On smooth blacktop almost nothing. They are good in muddy conditions and are pretty self cleaning. Are good on wet surfaces but can be a little slick braking in drizzle that hasn't seen alot of rain to wash off the oil. Since I live in Texas can't help alot with snow. Hope this helps. I will definitely look at them again when it is time to replace.
Oh, about half the price of BFGs.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:21 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been happy with the BFG AT-KOs for 15 years (although I have no idea what the "KO" stands for). I get about 65K on them. I like the 3rd ply sidewalls for rock protection. If you're wanting a tire for mud you need a mud tire and they will ALL be noisy. Most AT tires tread clog up in mud, but that's the trade off for decent highway performance and being quieter.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:53 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
60DRB, I enjoy my first set of KOs as well. They haven't been flawless, but they are tough as hell.

Make sure to rotate them religiously if you drive faster.... mine are cupping.

Also, they're pretty good in the mud and will be your best AT (minus the new Gyear Duratrac) in the mud once hunting season comes around.

Durability is key with these tires...as a matter of fact, I took a chip out of my sidewall and thought I was gonna need a new tire... nope, surprisingly. I took it out of just the right place and no cords were showing. I've put probably 10K miles on 'em since.

-rockstate

Old 06-26-2010, 10:57 AM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pb34
I have Firestone Destination AT's and they are great in the snow and just all around. I'm not sure if they are aggressive enough for what you're looking for though.
+1.. I've really enjoyed my Firestones, they have helped out a bunch for plowing in the winter but I don't have experience with other AT tires so I can't really compare them to anything.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 AM
CameronA710
Junior User
Nitto Terra Grapplers. My brother and dad run them on both of their lifted up 150's and they don't make a peep !!!

Quick Reply: Aggressive yet quiet A/T Tires