Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need Oil Change Info…..first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 AM
River19
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Oil Change Info…..first oil change

I have put about 4000 miles on the truck since I got her a couple months ago and let me tell you, so far I love it. Our horse tow from MD to RI was 10.5 hours of "fun" that left us with many stories, but, the truck towed great and allowed me to be very smooth with my driving, which is what the horse wanted.
Back to the matter at hand, I searched for a while this morning and I can’t find the link to that oil change valve thingy that makes it easy as heck to change the oil. Anyone have that link?
Also, since I haven’t done one before, what tools/gear should I pick up?
I am probably going with Rotella 15w40 and the Motorcraft FL-1995 if I can find it.
I know I need a good filter wrench, any suggestions of what to look for and avoid?
Also, I remember seeing a good tutorial on changing the oil, of course I’m still searching for the link……..anyone have it handy?

Thanks
Steve

P.S. I hope my word editor didn't add in all the friggin' emoticons like the last time I posted a thread from this PC...........

Old 06-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by River19
Back to the matter at hand, I searched for a while this morning and I can’t find the link to that oil change valve thingy that makes it easy as heck to change the oil. Anyone have that link?
It's called the "Fumoto Drain Valve". Here's a link: http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=33

Also, since I haven’t done one before, what tools/gear should I pick up?
The truck will take about 15 quarts (give or take), so have about 4 gallons of oil on hand. Have an oil filter wrench, oil filter, and a big catch basin that will hold about 15 quarts or more.

I am probably going with Rotella 15w40 and the Motorcraft FL-1995 if I can find it.
That will work just fine. Both can easily be found at Wal-Mart.

I know I need a good filter wrench, any suggestions of what to look for and avoid?
A nice big strap filter wrench works well.

Also, I remember seeing a good tutorial on changing the oil, of course I’m still searching for the link……..anyone have it handy?
Don't need a tutorial. It's just like changing the oil on any other vehicle. If you're referring to the Powerstrokehelp tutorial, you can ignore that video, as the stuff presented in that is just a waste of time and money IMO. In that video, they're trying to flush out all of the old oil. Thing is, it's not going to affect engine longevity over just doing a normal oil change. Only time you need to really flush out all of the engine oil is if you have a problem, or the truck has been poorly maintained.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You can get the drain valve here: Riffraff Diesel: Fumoto Quick Drain Valve as well as some other neat products. He has on with a nipple for a hose extenstion too. Just look around his site.
To add to the above post, I punch a small hole in thee bottom of the filter and allow it to drain while the oil pan is draining. When all is done, the filter is easier to handle and there is no with spillage. I usually do my chassis lube, check my other fluids, and tire pressures while the oil is draining.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:22 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mueckster
You can get the drain valve here: Riffraff Diesel: Fumoto Quick Drain Valve as well as some other neat products. He has on with a nipple for a hose extenstion too. Just look around his site.
To add to the above post, I punch a small hole in thee bottom of the filter and allow it to drain while the oil pan is draining. When all is done, the filter is easier to handle and there is no with spillage. I usually do my chassis lube, check my other fluids, and tire pressures while the oil is draining.

Where are all the lube points?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 AM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are really only a few greasable zerk fittings which can be found under the front of the truck.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:51 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It a good idea to refill the new oil filter with fresh oil before screwing up it into place..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
It a good idea to refill the new oil filter with fresh oil before screwing up it into place..
This plus the comment on poking a hole in the old filter to drain are the tips I'm looking for (kinda what I meant by tutorial)..........I mean the overall process isn't exactly like launching the space shuttle or anything, but there are tricks and I don't know them yet.........so thanks.

Neighbor has a waste oil furnace at his shop so I can dump the oil there, which is good news.......

Thanks for the help

Steve

Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mueckster
I do the same thing, makes it easier and less messy

Old 06-21-2010, 11:12 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
i didnt punch a hole in the filter the first time....you'd be surprised at how heavy a full oil filter is plus with it being slippery...well lets just say i made a mess.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:36 PM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A local shop charged me $95.00 to change mine last fall. Walmart here gets $65.00, but will not change mine because of the fumoto valve. "we must torque the plug" So my last one was like POCKET said. Dumped the oil in a friends boiler. Jim

Old 06-21-2010, 02:49 PM
rpenterics
Senior User
I remember seeing a good tutorial on changing the oil, of course I’m still searching for the link……..anyone have it handy?
This one perhaps? - Welcome to guzzle's PSD Oil Change Web Page

Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i do pull the oil out of the HPOP just to get more of the old oil out but i only pull it out 1 time not 3 as on powerstrokehelp, to me more old out more new in. just my 2 cents.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by bama29fan
i didnt punch a hole in the filter the first time....you'd be surprised at how heavy a full oil filter is plus with it being slippery...well lets just say i made a mess.
LOL yes im with ya bruvva,the ol punch and hammer will be in the nex oil change kit

Old 06-21-2010, 05:07 PM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
I just did my annual before summer maintenance which included new oil and filter. Let's just say I wish I had known about the trick of punching a hole in the filter. It looks like a litter box exploded in the street from the oil that I spilled. Thanks for the great tips.

TinyWonder

Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep -- punch the filter, and pre-fill the new one (takes about 1 1/2 quarts). Other than that, it's a "normal" oil change that happens to take 15ish quarts... I run syn Rotella 5W-40 and go a little longer on it (7500 or so). Makes up for the Cost difference, and the truck runs better IMHO...