1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Water-in-Fuel indicator light

Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on Water-in-Fuel indicator light

Hey everyone, just wanted to drop a update on my "Water-in-Fuel" indicator light.

The background was that the light came on (2003 PSD), and after draining the water/fuel seperator and changing the filters, the indicator would still come on.

Following advice from another member, I got some large Q-tips (the really big kind, about a foot long with a q-tip head about the size of a small marble like you see at the doctors office) and cleaned out the reservoir.

I was amazed at what came out of there. I had drained it 3-4 times before, each time with clear fuel coming out, but after reaching in there with the big Q-tip, a TON of gunk came out. I actually had to use two or three of them before it was clean.

This should be a mandatory step when changing your fuel filters. Also, a tip: this worked best with the front of the truck facing downhill so that a small trickle of fuel kept coming out of the drain, this helped "wash" out the crud as I cleaned it.

Bad news, the Water/Fuel indicator light still comes on, so now I'm pretty sure the sensor has a problem, and needs to be totally removed and cleaned or replaced.

Regards,
TX

Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Meant to do a follow-up on this. After cleaning it out one more time, the light has quit coming on. Just really need to get it all cleaned out.

Here's a pic of what I used... it's about a foot long, and the Q-tip end is about the size of a marble.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Tee Gonzo
New User
Hi there Hill Country, I too live in the Hill Country. (Burnet, TX)
Where did you buy the large Q-tips?
Plus-Is the water separator that small valve next to the lower fuel filter??
-And your saying; remove the fuel filter and clean out the canister??
ALSO ONE MORE SILLY ONE:
I'm new to this forum so; How do I place a pic of my F-450 on my page like you did with your truck??-Tee

Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tee Gonzo
Hi there Hill Country, I too live in the Hill Country. (Burnet, TX)
Where did you buy the large Q-tips?
Plus-Is the water separator that small valve next to the lower fuel filter??
-And your saying; remove the fuel filter and clean out the canister??
ALSO ONE MORE SILLY ONE:
I'm new to this forum so; How do I place a pic of my F-450 on my page like you did with your truck??-Tee

Beautiful country in Burnet! Drive south on 281 til you hit 46, head towards Boerne and you're close to me.

I actually got those huge Q-tips from a doctors office. I know you can buy them online, haven't looked in stores like Walgreens, etc. But I bet if you ask around, someone who knows someone who works in a doctors office and can get you a handful.

The sensor is inside the housing next to the fuel drain plug. You can see the connector plugged in to the right. Can't really see it too well in the pic below (and this pic has the upgraded drain plug in it), but if you just take the drain plug out, reach in there with the q-tip and work it around, pulling it out every so often, you'll get a lot junk out. I got a lot out the first time (thought I had it all), and the light still came on later that day, but a couple of days later I got around to doing it again and more junk came out. Was fine after that.

The owner's manual does say that if you have the "WIF" light come on, that you should replace both the filters (the frame rail one and the engine compartment one.) I think the engine one is more precautionary, but I can see that if the WIF light came on, and there actually had been water in the fuel, you'd want to at least replace the big rail mount filter. Beyond swapping the filter out, I didn't clean anywere inside the housing where the filter goes.

With regards to the pic in the signature, go to your "User CP" section, and there is an option to include an image in the sig. Note the file and dimension limitations.

Regards! TX

Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Tee Gonzo,
I do not think you will be able to put a picture of your truck in your signature until after 25 post.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Tee Gonzo
New User
ahhhhh man... I LOVE MY TRUCK:(((
thanks for that great info and pic THC

Old 10-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Tee Gonzo
New User
ahhhh man.... I LOVE MY TRUCK::))
thanks for that great info and pic THC