1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

9.6 MPG - Is this good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by fifty-two_f1
It also has a lot to do with how your float is set and what size jets you have. On the jets people sometimes would drill them out, so just because its says a size does not mean it is correct.
...because it gives it more power, right?!

All it takes is one good backfire and the power valve will be ruptured. They can also stick in one position. It's the weakest part of a cheap design. If the float needle is brass-tipped (not Viton) it will also leak past. If the vac advance isn't working right, mileage will go in the crapper too.

PS I also have an EAB in my truck.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
...because it gives it more power, right?!

All it takes is one good backfire and the power valve will be ruptured. They can also stick in one position. It's the weakest part of a cheap design. If the float needle is brass-tipped (not Viton) it will also leak past. If the vac advance isn't working right, mileage will go in the crapper too.

PS I also have an EAB in my truck.
A complete EAB engine or just EAB heads on an RT8 engine? And is that the factory installed engine?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:22 PM
mrsimmons
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Julie - can you help again? maybe ask numberdummy or others? I have my carb all apart and cleaned for my 65F100. I found the correct rebuild kit by taking carb to NAPA.

CARB is YF 6420S (1978)

NAPA Kit: 2-5613

All looked great except:

My Fuel Flota after a 20 minute and washing appears to have FLUID in it! It still floats on water and in the carb cleaber as well but I didn't notice this before I cleaned it. I was sure only to leave it in carb cleaner 20 minutes. I can't tell where the fluid got in or see bubbles but after all this work I fear I have failed and I was pretty meticulous?

What can I do? If this can't be fixed any real chance I can find another or after all this work do I just sell the truck for parts?!

Also I am missing my Upper Pump Spring Retainer (clip). I was again very careful so maybe that old thing just dissolved in carb cleaner? (also got that gallon from NAPA.)

Please ask anyone to help me. I leave for my daughter's surgery for a week on Tuesday am at a loss.

Thanks,

Michael

Old 06-20-2010, 09:13 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and i thought i told BIG FISH STORIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how'd you get 20 out of a flathead ??????? roll down hill in nuetral in a vacuum ???????????? i get 8.5 average .... PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!! and it's a pretty much stock driveline .............. your float is just freakin' old and has become porous and easily soaks up fluids, or if it's brass it's got a pinhole in it . just go back to napa or try dennis carpenter , or someone online like charlie price's vintage speed for the parts . it's not a big issue at all . the parts are available and it can be fixed .also in my opinion get a brass float they aren't as prone to becoming porous and soaking up fluids and giving ya fits !! i will say this ... i have had no LUCK with anything with the holley name on it period since i quit racing years ago . i bought an adaptor and going to be rebuilding and installing when i get my electronic ignition finished , or just buy an aftermarket unit , a rochester 2 jet . for now though it will have that ever lovin' pain in the **** holley on it . i think holley stands for unreliable garbage in my case ................

Old 06-20-2010, 10:52 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
It's real important to get the model 94's perfectly clean, especially the emulsion or bleed air tubes. Also important to have good throttle shaft fit, or you'll have to richen the idle air mix to compensate, then it runs rich across the whole low end. And power valves are real critical. But I think timing (vac advance) is probably more important, if you are in the sub-10 area then I think you're using a loadamatic with improper advance.

I haven't seen MTFlat chime in (I think he's on vacation) but he is the one I'd look to for a mileage quote. He does have 3.50 rear gears, tho.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:04 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsimmons
Julie - can you help again? maybe ask numberdummy or others? I have my carb all apart and cleaned for my 65F100. I found the correct rebuild kit by taking carb to NAPA.

CARB is YF 6420S (1978)

NAPA Kit: 2-5613

All looked great except:

My Fuel Flota after a 20 minute and washing appears to have FLUID in it! It still floats on water and in the carb cleaber as well but I didn't notice this before I cleaned it. I was sure only to leave it in carb cleaner 20 minutes. I can't tell where the fluid got in or see bubbles but after all this work I fear I have failed and I was pretty meticulous?

What can I do? If this can't be fixed any real chance I can find another or after all this work do I just sell the truck for parts?!

Also I am missing my Upper Pump Spring Retainer (clip). I was again very careful so maybe that old thing just dissolved in carb cleaner? (also got that gallon from NAPA.)

Please ask anyone to help me. I leave for my daughter's surgery for a week on Tuesday am at a loss.

Thanks,

Michael
Hi Michael,

I appreciate your faith but I'mn ot really the person you want to ask about the old carbs.

Ross is the guy to ask.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:42 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I 'm sorry Michael but I am not familiar with your carb. I suspect it's an Autolite carb if it is OEM but "YF" sounds like a Carter carb model. If your float has fuel/liquid in it, it's no good.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:57 AM
mrsimmons
Freshman User
Ross. It IS a Carter and I was afraid you were going to say that about that float! Now where to find another?!

Michael

Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
This outfit appears to offer new floats for YF's
Ford Truck Carburetor Parts - The Carburetor Doctor

Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 AM
mrsimmons
Freshman User
Thanks Ross - I noted on their rebuild kit "Float not included." Think they are in Canada but I am tryign to find a phone number for them now!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:52 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Right, they sell the float separately

F17 Float - Carter YF

If your float is brass you may be able to fix it

Old 06-21-2010, 09:46 AM
mrsimmons
Freshman User
Well Done Ross and thank you!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:31 PM
lbrauer
Senior User
I had the same thing happen to me on a lawn mower with the float having a pin hole in it where it would not stay where it was calubrated to be. It would fill up with gas and float down just enough that gas would come out of the back of the carburator. Had the same thing happen to the fuel sending unit on my truck. Got a new one from the auto parts house and it works fine now. If there is a hole in it you should be able to take it out and shake it and hear gas slushing around. Just another thought of mine.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
I finally did the fuel milage on my 52 with the 216 6 and I am getting about 16 running around on short trips and the engine only has 900 miles on a total rebuild. So the more I run it the better it should get.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:10 PM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
I have put 3 tank fulls through my 1950 F1 Stake since I got it on the road this spring. Average is 15mpg all kinds of driving. I normally keep it at around 55 on the highway. High was 16.5 low was 14.5. All stock. Sometimes with high sides some with low sides.

I was actually hoping for a bit more but had no idea what to expect.

Quick Reply: 9.6 MPG - Is this good?