help with fuel lines and sizes please - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Reload this Page >

help with fuel lines and sizes please

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Old 06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
powerstroker100 has a good reputation on FTE.powerstroker100 has a good reputation on FTE.powerstroker100 has a good reputation on FTE.

Can you guys tell me the fuel line sizes on my truck, as some might know I need to replace the lines from my rear tank sending unit all the way to the fuel selector valve and thats all but I need to replace the fuel to engine line and the return line, now please confirm if I am right or wrong, fuel line sizes are 5/16" and 3/8" right? and I found some of the fuel injection hose thats like rubber hose but threaded with nylon and firm, but only could find at tractor supply, autozone only had this really nice copper line but for 25 dollars for 4 feet I cant afford that they said they would order me the hose but never called me so I found the hose at tractor supply for only 3/8" though I doubt that it could be used universal for the smaller line? or can it? because its only $7 for 10 foot and its the exact same hose at autozone, sorry for my long post

Old 06-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.
Supply is 3/8"
Return is 5/16"

It'll work if you can make it fit, adapting it at both ends may be an issue.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-17-2010, 04:31 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
powerstroker100 has a good reputation on FTE.powerstroker100 has a good reputation on FTE.powerstroker100 has a good reputation on FTE.
thanks as always festus, think I'll pick up that 10ft line, and look elsewhere for the 5/16" real bummer because advance auto didnt even know what I was talking about and my local autozone never got back to me, might consider going to napa, 45 minutes away though

Old 06-17-2010, 04:56 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.
Engine supply line is 3/8" and tank return is 5/16" indeed. The four lines between both your tanks and the tank-selector valve are all nylon already, so unless they are damaged there's no need to replace them, they usually outlast these trucks anyways. AutoZone sells nice Poly-Armor steel fuel lines in both the 3/8" and 5/16" in variety of lengths, for the engine supply line you probably won't need more than two 60" pieces with will run you less that $15 total - what I'd do if I were you would be run a mostly straight piece on the frame rail, then bend another piece to go on the engine crossmember and over to the lift pump, then join the two with a short piece of rubber hose. Then for the return lines I have a single piece of 5/16" hose from my engine all the way to the TSV, no steel lines anywhere on that.

And speaking of hoses, no need for the expensive fuel-injection hose, just buy transmission hose from your local parts store - regular cheap fuel hose would work too, but the transmission hose has thicker walls so it's more resistant to kinking and rubbing through. I would however recommend the fuel-injection clamps, they are the same price as the worm-drive ones usually but they do make for a better seal.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
my PO changed all my fuel lines because they are steel and rusted so bad they are leaking and I suck air, which is why I would like to put on this rubber hose and hopefully be done with it

Old 06-18-2010, 01:22 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.
Well where are you installing the hose then, between the steel lines and the TSV?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:55 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
I was planning on pulling off the fuel and return lines from the rear tank to the FSV and just entirely replacing the steel with the rubber lines, my other lines are in decent shape, I'mm doing this to get the rear tank to be useful because theres rust holes in the steel line thats why my engine would continue to run on the rear tank but kept getting air intrusion from somewhere, when I checked the showerhead for the rear send unit, I could smell diesel and its leaking on the frame rail on the side of my primary tank, I need to fix the hose that I replaced the showerhead with on my primary tank so I figured I will do the framerail hose with the tank down

Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Wait, you have steel lines for your rear tank? Mine are all plastic, yes it's some long lines for the rear tanks but they are all plastic.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.
Yes, He has stated this a least a half dozen times ... Someone has replaced his lines with steel, they are rotten and he wants to replace them with other than steel.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 01-27-2018, 10:37 AM
Oldfrogdiving
New User
Oldfrogdiving is starting off with a positive reputation.
I need to splice a section of 3/8 fuel supply line from the rear tank, not sure how the line got melted but there is a 3" section that's leaking, have u guys ever used the dorman in line splice kits? There straight press to fit type units. at some point I'm gonna pull the bed off and re-run all my lines. but so far as I can tell the FSV works!
Frog

Old 01-27-2018, 10:46 AM
DrCharles
Senior User
DrCharles is starting off with a positive reputation.
O'Reilly has the proper Gates Super Stripe II diesel-rated fuel hose for $1.69/ft (3/8") and $1.49/ft (5/16"). You can also get it on Amazon for half that price but you have to order a 25 foot roll.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:22 PM
Oldfrogdiving
New User
Oldfrogdiving is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks I went to both Oriellys and Advanced. I ended up purchasing the line and splices at amazon, really excited to get that rear tank humming.. thanks for reply
Frog
out

Old 01-28-2018, 02:52 AM
DarkOverCast
Senior User
DarkOverCast is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just for anyone interested in replacing fuel lines Dorman makes the nylon line and just about any fitting you need with it. You can go to O'Reilly website and put in your make and model and browse under fuel lines, write all the part numbers of what you need down and buy from eBay to save a few bucks. The sell the line itself in 25, 50, and 100' rolls iirc. It's the fittings that are expensive.