1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT...Got laid off today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 AM
LSJUNIPER
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey F100newb,
I hear that E.B. may be taking people in there mechanical drafting department to get ready for the new class ship coming down the pike. You may want to give that a try. It's a new trade but it may be worth it...

Old 06-17-2010, 11:05 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. It seems that the downturn in the economy has been a boom for my niche in the job field. I work on heavy duty trucks and heavy equipment, and no one is trading up or buying new right now. With equipment getting older, the repairs are getting more frequent, and I have more than I could ever do. So, some job markets are still doing good, while most have tanked.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your job loss pal. Good luck with that.

Tom

Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I own my own business too, very small, I'm the only full time guy and when times are good I can have 2-3 guys working for me. My business deals with capital machinery and no one is buying. I have a couple of big jobs coming in next month, but that's next month, I haven't had a decent job in the shop in four months. I'm barely hanging on. I've called around to leads to drum up business, and although I've gotten some interest in my services no one had work. We're all in the same situation.

I'm currently using my time working on an off topic car to keep me busy. I've been extremely lucky getting parts for the car. I've bought a parts car dirt cheap and sold and traded parts for this project so it hasn't cost much at all. The bad part is parts I have sold didn't bring what they would have two years ago. I posted most on the 'Bay and only got one bid apiece, two years ago there would have been a bidding war for them. Even if you have items to sell to try to help with expenses there aren't a lot of people out there with the money to pay.

If only our great leader(s) would get their heads out of their lower rear orifice and do something to help. I don't believe government is here to help us every step of the way, in fact, I think it's better when they get out of the way and let the country take care of ourself. This administration seems to be doing everything possible to bring down this great country. Hopefully we see help come November. Sorry if I threw a little politics into the mix but it's very upsetting to see everything you've worked for starting to slip away.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 PM
scottm1
Senior User
It seems like everyone I know that has ever been laid off ended up landing a better job as a result of it. I hope that does, at least, make you feel better.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 AM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your job, if its any help or makes you feel better. I'm in the Army, with 2 wars going on and we are losing our jobs aswell. Once Sept 30th gets here I may not have a job, which is really refreshing to know since I just bought a house last year and have a 7 month old baby to take care of. I hope you are able to get back to work soon...

Old 08-27-2010, 09:09 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I hate to drum up this thread for a couple reasons. 1) Sour memories for those involved, and 2) I believe it will only get worse.

I follow the market, and look at the trends and reports that come out each day. Others may, too. That said, I question where the folks who have replied to this thread a couple of months ago, on where they are at today, and where they expect to be in the coming Winter. Where I work, last year was really rough. This year so far has been mediocre at best, but at least I'm at 40 hours (with a lot of standing around). Today the "big cheese" made an appearance. Wasn't much said, except he hoped to reinstate our 401K next year, maybe. Personally, I don't think he has looked at our production schedule. We have nothing after Oct. which may seem like gibberish to you all, but since what we build is typically a 90-day lead time, we are pretty much drying up. So I have to assume we are cycling into a double dip recession. Considering if we are, I have to prepare for such an event, as well as the rest of us. Unfortunately that will involve me selling my projects first and foremost (in efforts to avoid foreclosure).... which it seems nobody is really buying anyway. (long story, but WI UI will factor in the previous 5 quarters of income, which was half pay last year, and means we will not make the weekly UI payments needed to maintain our mortgage....guess our management didn't think of that)
Anyway, in case I disappear, it will mean I either sold/scrapped everything, or my internet connection has been cut off. I've hung onto this stuff for so long, I can't see myself selling, but even a marathoner runs out of steam eventually. Sorry for the vent, but this week has been ugly for a lot of us.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
The wife got laid off last year, it was really tough for her because her "job" was a critical part of her identity. I told her that it was just a job and that she would do just fine...that went over like a fart in church but after a few months she started enjoying the free time and got over the shock of the layoff. She is now back at the same company, this time as a support contractor. She does the same work but without benefits. The best part is that now she knows that life does go on after losing your job...fortunatle I am retired and have a pension that supports us well. I am very concerned about those who do not have a fallback position.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
I'm a commercial electrician,and had previously worked 12 + years for one contractor,before getting angry and quitting.That was after all my friends had moved on,most to the same large contractor.I was about two years behind them.Since January of last year,I've worked in both Iraq and Afghanistan,am now home working six 10's per week,plenty of work for the foreseeable future,and I've rejoined my friends working for the same employer.I'm really glad I saw what I saw,but could not in good conscience recommend it to anyone.There's no place like home.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Back in '07 I hadn't worked in a year and I was bidding on anything and I mean anything. I couldn't buy an interview. I swallowed more pride then I knew I had. I finally landed a job at 1/4 my previous salary in a company that was abusive with almost no benefits 50 miles from home. I still work there today and while much remains the same, I've managed to demo my skills and rise in the organization.

I'm grateful to be employed and it ain't glamorous but when you're non-degreed and 59 years old there aren't a lot of folks that want you even in good times. I'm not willing to chance leaving. It's too uncertain out there and while I hate this job, the company is healthy and that's important. It's tough times man.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
My company (a major medical implant maker) has recently opened a new plant in China. For now, it looks like things are stable, but healthcare reform is not in our best interests. If pricing gets to be too much of a concern, I'm sure my job will be going "offshore". Of course the 1200 nonlabor employees won't be harmed as much as the 200 or so production employees. Guess where I fall?

Last Chance -- need any machinists there in Ardmore? If I make just a few more years, I can take early retirement - at half my regular rate at full retirement just 6 years past that.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:28 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
F100newb , keep Boeing in mind . Might require relocation .

Old 08-28-2010, 12:43 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I had a big long diatribe about how bad my business has been and I am finally getting a load of work in that should last until the end of January. And how it seems to me the only people really not affected by the current, and what looks like could be the short term, financial situation but I decided it was way too long and might possibly offend some so after spending twenty minutes typing it I erased the whole thing.

I just hope things change in November and the reckless, irresponsible goof sitting on Pennsylvania Avenue can be corralled and hobbled so he doesn't totally ruin our great country. I also hope everyone who has posted, and will post, to this thread sees better times in the very near future. We're a great people, in a great country and even though it looks bleek we've been through worse and pulled out of it.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:09 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I had a big long diatribe about how bad my business has been and I am finally getting a load of work in that should last until the end of January. And how it seems to me the only people really not affected by the current, and what looks like could be the short term, financial situation but I decided it was way too long and might possibly offend some so after spending twenty minutes typing it I erased the whole thing.

Same here. To the effect I have been laid off 3 times in my career, every time right after my ex decided the old house was too small and I'd just signed a new mortgage (one at 18%, thank you Jimmy Carter ) and every time when she was pregnant... But you get thru those times and onto better times. We've all got to stop thinking short term and look at the long term picture, put this country on a slow but steady and sustainable path. No more get-rich-quick booms. Make our own stuff as much as possible, with our own hands, that's where real strength comes from.

I'm not voting for anyone who hasn't had to beat the streets for a job, no more career politicians.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:50 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Ross, stop blinking at me

Quick Reply: OT...Got laid off today.