Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Load Test - Batteries Good?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
bulletpruf
Senior User
bulletpruf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Battery Load Test - Batteries Good?

Fellas -

2003 Ex with 7.3. Batteries are undetermined vintage; believed to have been replaced by previous owner.

It's been turning over slowly for a few weeks, and this morning turned over especially slow. Had to get the jump box to get it to start. It was fine after that.

Charged and tested the batteries when I got home - both are 13v with no load, 12v with load, and 14v charging at idle. Does this sound right? If so, any thoughts on slow starts and battery drain overnight?

Thanks!

Scott

Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 PM
takotruckin
Senior User
takotruckin has a good reputation on FTE.takotruckin has a good reputation on FTE.
What kind of load? You need to actually have them load tested, at like 300-500 amps depending on your batteries to actually know their condition.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
rbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to behold
If batteries check good with load test
Could be bad connections or your starter is getting weak

Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 AM
bulletpruf
Senior User
Originally Posted by takotruckin View Post
What kind of load? You need to actually have them load tested, at like 300-500 amps depending on your batteries to actually know their condition.
Loaded at 100 amps - inexpensive tester.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 06-15-2010, 06:14 AM
bulletpruf
Senior User
Originally Posted by rbaker6336 View Post
If batteries check good with load test
Could be bad connections or your starter is getting weak
Connections at the terminal are in good shape.

Truck spun over faster yesterday after I put the charger on the batteries for a while.

Will try testing the starter; I'm not a whiz when it comes to electrical problems, but my battery tester did have instructions on how to check a starter.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 06-15-2010, 06:19 AM
bulletpruf
Senior User
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Loaded at 100 amps - inexpensive tester.

Thanks,

Scott
HF has a 500 amp tester for $59 - http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-...ster-91129.html

Might have to pick up one of these.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Nick 99
Elder User
Nick 99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Measure the voltage across the battery while doing a normal start. The voltage should not drop below 10.5 volts dc. A low reading indicates that either the batteries are not providing enough current to the starter, or that the starter is using to much current for a normal start. Try doing a normal start on your truck, shut it off right away and then check for heat at the starter and all of the cables including all of the battery connections with your hand. Heat is an indicator of high current or loose connections.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
rolsmojave3
Senior User
rolsmojave3 has a good reputation on FTE.rolsmojave3 has a good reputation on FTE.rolsmojave3 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have also seen a lot of these trucks with corrosion in the positive battery cables. One truck I've seen had the starter replaced 3 times due to low voltage killing it and the batteries replaced 2 times. I had him crank on it, sure enough, from the positive post on the battery to the positive on the starter, that cable lost almost 3.5 volts. He was down to 7.5v at the starter.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 AM
2cylguy
Senior User
2cylguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
The one thing I have learned in all the battery classes I have taken is that if you need to replace 1 you need to replace both. You always replace batteries in pairs. If you don't the older battery will pull down the newer battery causing it to go bad faster. This is according to John Deere, Exide, Intertstate, etc. I have seen this happen on customers tractors that didn't want to spend the extra for the second battery.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 PM
bulletpruf
Senior User
Originally Posted by rolsmojave3 View Post
I have also seen a lot of these trucks with corrosion in the positive battery cables. One truck I've seen had the starter replaced 3 times due to low voltage killing it and the batteries replaced 2 times. I had him crank on it, sure enough, from the positive post on the battery to the positive on the starter, that cable lost almost 3.5 volts. He was down to 7.5v at the starter.
Did not realize that low voltage can kill a starter; good to know.

My terminals are clean; that's one thing that I did learn in the military - always put grease on the terminals after you clean them - keeps corrosion from starting.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 06-15-2010, 01:15 PM
bulletpruf
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nick 99 View Post
Measure the voltage across the battery while doing a normal start. The voltage should not drop below 10.5 volts dc. A low reading indicates that either the batteries are not providing enough current to the starter, or that the starter is using to much current for a normal start. Try doing a normal start on your truck, shut it off right away and then check for heat at the starter and all of the cables including all of the battery connections with your hand. Heat is an indicator of high current or loose connections.
Good info. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM
bulletpruf
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2cylguy View Post
The one thing I have learned in all the battery classes I have taken is that if you need to replace 1 you need to replace both. You always replace batteries in pairs. If you don't the older battery will pull down the newer battery causing it to go bad faster. This is according to John Deere, Exide, Intertstate, etc. I have seen this happen on customers tractors that didn't want to spend the extra for the second battery.
Have heard that you should replace both at the same time, but did not know why. Thanks for the explanation.

Scott

Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Nick 99
Elder User
Nick 99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The reason you replace both batteries at the same time, is that as the battery ages the internal resistance of the battery changes. The only thing that regulates the level of charge current to each battery is that same resistance. The battery with the lowest resistance will get the recharge current from the alternator and the other battery will not be fully charged. The other dynamic that happens is that the battery with the highest resistance will be drained by the battery with lower resistance as it sits between engine starts.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:44 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
jwhitetail is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 2cylguy View Post
X100 on what you wrote, you can charge these's batteries and they will crank good for about 24hr's and if no charge is given to them they go dead. Replace both with the most battery you can afford. JMOP

Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 AM
bulletpruf
Senior User
Went to Harbor Freight and picked up the 500 amp battery tester for $60 and loaded the batteries to 400 amps. They had passed the test with a 100 amp tester, but both failed at 400 amps. Starter test was fine - 10v+.

Replaced batteries last night with some the premium Motorcraft batteries, 100 month warranty (3 years free replacement, then pro-rated), 850 CCA. $125 each, but that's not much more than what I would have paid elsewhere.

Old batteries were Autocraft Titanium, 850 CCA. Lasted less than 4 years. Looks like these are the ones sold at Advance Auto Parts.

Thanks,

Scott

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Load Test - Batteries Good?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.