Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Trans temps go up 30 degrees after tire size change?

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 PM
lucaslaw
Senior User
lucaslaw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I went from 35's to 37's with factory gears, now my trans temps when crawling in traffic on a 101 degree day have gone from 160-190, even got near 200 until I got on highway, then they dropped back down. Anything to worry about? I know the 20% rule, but seems like a lot. If I add a cooler any recomendations? Should I go ahead and install that tugger kit also?

LL

Old 06-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Riffraff Performance
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.
This is normal with the larger tires, as will be higher EGT's as well. A tugger or valve body wouldn't hurt and if you are going to tow or temps regularly get up that high an additional cooler would really help keep control of the temps. You could also re-gear though and get back all that and some power...

Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold
101+60 to 80 is 161 to 181... sounds like your about normal for stop and go traffic...

Old 06-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Layson has a great reputation on FTE.Layson has a great reputation on FTE.Layson has a great reputation on FTE.Layson has a great reputation on FTE.Layson has a great reputation on FTE.
I would stick the 6.0 trans cooler in there... that will help!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
lucaslaw
Senior User
Originally Posted by Layson View Post
I would stick the 6.0 trans cooler in there... that will help!
That would go nice with that 6.0 intercooler I've got in the garage

LL

Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by lucaslaw View Post
That would go nice with that 6.0 intercooler I've got in the garage

LL
You do know they work better if you actually put them in the truck, right?

I'm a fan of the transgo, but you need to figure out what the TS chip is doing to your line pressures now. If you get the Transgo, stay away from Oregon Performance Transmission. They're a bunch (or at least one) of idiots.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 PM
lucaslaw
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
You do know they work better if you actually put them in the truck, right?

I'm a fan of the transgo, but you need to figure out what the TS chip is doing to your line pressures now. If you get the Transgo, stay away from Oregon Performance Transmission. They're a bunch (or at least one) of idiots.
I'm in Dallas, so unless I put it in myself it'll go to 2 brothers transmissions. Yep, I know things work actually installed on the truck, just never got the right boots for the intercooler.

LL

Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 PM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
bobbyrjw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bobbyrjw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I wonder how many of the discarded 7.3 transmission coolers it would take to get the cooling of a 6.0. I added a 31 Row cooler, but have the stock one on a shelf.

If it were copper, I know some guys that could use it to make some ummm.... corn fuel, yeah, that's it. Corn squeezins for the truck.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by lucaslaw View Post
I'm in Dallas, so unless I put it in myself it'll go to 2 brothers transmissions. Yep, I know things work actually installed on the truck, just never got the right boots for the intercooler.

LL
I'm 15 miles North of Hillsboro and have installed a Transgo in 2 different 4R100 trucks. From what I've read of your posts, you would have absolutely no problem installing the kit, but if you're gun shy getting into the tranny, we can figure out a way to hook up and I'll help you do it. (I can reprogram your speedo too with AE)

Seems like Clay at Riffraff can get you the right boots for your IC swap.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
rbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to behold
You do know they work better if you actually put them in the truck, right? .
So that's the problem.My new 6.0 cooler and gauge have been on the shelf for a couple years and think the truck is somewhere in the back yard.Guess I should dig'm out and put them in one stack.I mean put them together

Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 PM
lucaslaw
Senior User
I'm 15 miles North of Hillsboro and have installed a Transgo in 2 different 4R100 trucks. From what I've read of your posts, you would have absolutely no problem installing the kit, but if you're gun shy getting into the tranny, we can figure out a way to hook up and I'll help you do it. (I can reprogram your speedo too with AE)

Seems like Clay at Riffraff can get you the right boots for your IC swap.
Thanks man, I may take you up on that.

LL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.