6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Ford Rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:05 PM
darthracer777
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaySVX
Yeah, what the hell. Damned 6.0's. Why should I have to deal with 195,000 trouble-free miles? When my EGR valve clogged at 160k why the hell did I have to spend $4 on gaskets, a used tooth brush,a nd a bottle of carb cleaner to get it functioning properly again? Why hte hell is that the only real problem these engines have.

Why the hell does the duramax not have any problems other than the egr, glow plugs, injectors, worse fuel mileage, they don't have real mirrors, and numerous electrical problems. I wish i had gone with a ford so i wouldn't have to deal with just that little egr issue, because all those issues are so much easier to deal with!

duramax can lick my *****. I'll keep my 6.0 thank you.
Hey, I'm happy for you. However, not everyone can be as fortunate as you. I have less than 60K on my truck and it is the truck from 'hell'.....nothing but problems. I'm thinking of selling it and switching to gasoline.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
trip50
New User
Gotta say my Fords have been far and away better than the Dodges and Chevys in my experience. Just saying.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:36 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Originally Posted by darthracer777
Thanks for your input on this. Maybe it's the Ford dealer that I've been taking my truck for repairs. They could be clueless. All I know is....its back to the shop and more costly 'fixes'.
Unfortunately this is more common than it should be. That is a BIG reason why I always preach gauges and go out of my way to write-up simplified troubleshooting tips. If you can do the simple things yourself and then troubleshoot the other things so that you have a good idea of what the issue might be - then you can somewhat protect yourself from shops that are just going to "change parts" at your expense (whatever their reason would be to do so).

Even though the vast majority of shops are no doubt both honest and competent, it only takes a few to generate a huge "bitter taste" (and a lot of forum posts).

Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
... why the hell did I have to spend $4 on gaskets, a used tooth brush,a nd a bottle of carb cleaner...
You bought a used toothbrush? Man, they saw you comin'.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
duramax can lick my *****. I'll keep my 6.0 thank you.
Jay next time dont hold back and let everyone know how you really feel...let it out bro. it cant hurt you anymore. LOL

Your Awesome Thanks For The Laugh,

Sarge

Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM
darthracer777
Freshman User
Originally Posted by trip50
Gotta say my Fords have been far and away better than the Dodges and Chevys in my experience. Just saying.
Oh, don't get me wrong.....I've had other Ford trucks in the past (gasoline-powered) that were just fine. And, I ordered an '11 Shelby GT500 back in May. So, I am a 'Ford' guy. However, I'm extremely disappointed in the truck I own now.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM
darthracer777
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bismic
Unfortunately this is more common than it should be. That is a BIG reason why I always preach gauges and go out of my way to write-up simplified troubleshooting tips. If you can do the simple things yourself and then troubleshoot the other things so that you have a good idea of what the issue might be - then you can somewhat protect yourself from shops that are just going to "change parts" at your expense (whatever their reason would be to do so).

Even though the vast majority of shops are no doubt both honest and competent, it only takes a few to generate a huge "bitter taste" (and a lot of forum posts).
I understand where you're coming from. My issue, and maybe I'm just naive about it, is that I followed the routine maintenance schedule 'by the book' and it didn't make a difference. From my point of view, it should have. I bought the truck, new, in April '04 and I have less than 60K miles on it. In other words, why should I have to buy extra gauges, etc...etc. to monitor & ensure that the truck performs properly? It's Ford's responsibilty to put out a quality product. Not mine. But, as I said, I'm no deisel expert. This was my first deisel truck. But, I expected better performance that what I got. What galls me is the the new '11 diesel trucks probably run very well with few problems. I guess I was part of the 'guinea pig' class of '04.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:13 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
I understand where you're coming from. My issue, and maybe I'm just naive about it, is that I followed the routine maintenance schedule 'by the book' and it didn't make a difference.
You did have an aftermarket air filter (not quite by the book) and even took it to the dealership that way. Maybe it shouldn't have made a difference, but when a dealership sees that you have aftermarket mods (and maybe suspects you have more), it can affect the type of work you get. Not saying that is what happened, and definitely not saying that it should have happened ..... just saying some folks are like that. Especially if you get angry at them, etc.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:37 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why should I have to buy extra gauges, etc...etc. to monitor & ensure that the truck performs properly?
It is well known that most gauges that are out there from the factory, no matter the brand or model vehicle, are crap. It's just been an accepted fact. I have been burned by two vehicles because there wasn't adequate information being shown on the gauges. Should that be the way things are done, that's for another debate. In all honesty, the money that was spent on the a/m intake would have been better utilized with gauges, but hindsight is always 20/20.

This was my first deisel truck.
Let me ask you this and please be honest. Did you get the 6.0 with any preconceived notions about diesels? Particularly thinking that this diesel was like the diesels that came before it?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:43 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Jay next time dont hold back and let everyone know how you really feel...let it out bro. it cant hurt you anymore. LOL

Your Awesome Thanks For The Laugh,

Sarge
I thought that one was hilarous also...

Old 07-08-2010, 09:33 PM
darthracer777
Freshman User
You did have an aftermarket air filter (not quite by the book) and even took it to the dealership that way. Maybe it shouldn't have made a difference, but when a dealership sees that you have aftermarket mods (and maybe suspects you have more), it can affect the type of work you get. Not saying that is what happened, and definitely not saying that it should have happened ..... just saying some folks are like that. Especially if you get angry at them, etc.
yes, but I re-installed the OEM air intake. It had no 'positive' efects in regards to reducing the problems.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 PM
darthracer777
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tex25025
It is well known that most gauges that are out there from the factory, no matter the brand or model vehicle, are crap. It's just been an accepted fact. I have been burned by two vehicles because there wasn't adequate information being shown on the gauges. Should that be the way things are done, that's for another debate. In all honesty, the money that was spent on the a/m intake would have been better utilized with gauges, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Let me ask you this and please be honest. Did you get the 6.0 with any preconceived notions about diesels? Particularly thinking that this diesel was like the diesels that came before it?
I had no preconceived notions other than the vehicle should perform properly. I could see something happening...maybe one major issue....things do malfunction, but so any problems fairly close together? It's like the Twilight Zone....

Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 PM
John Diem
Senior User

And I for one would like to thank you . I worry about my 2004 F350 14000 miles but I think with people like Mark, Ricatic, Chezzit and the rest of the guys on FTE I will make it through any thing that comes John

Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 PM
John Diem
Senior User
Originally Posted by tex25025

I did thought my Ford would last me the rest of my life. Also my first Diesel and I intend to make it last have plenty of tools and a place to work no stranger to twisting wrenches. I will learn about Diesels I hope to run the wheels off my truck at 70yrs old I'm not to old to learn. John

Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 AM
CliffordTruck
Freshman User
I've had pretty good luck with my 6.0L. Only problem(s) Ive had with it were, 1.) was a human error (someone at Ford Dealership forgot to attach my tranny fluid tube to the tranny so my tranny overheated when i was hauling horses and 2.) just recently its been lurching but Ive been told its dirty injectors?
And I only have 60k miles on it, and I haul with it most of the time and its decent enough!

Quick Reply: 6.0 Ford Rant