6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:29 PM
marshall5610
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 won't crank

I have a 2003 6.0 powerstroke I was pulling into a gas station when it shut off like you turned the key off. The dash lights work power windows, door locks , radio,headlights, everything works except the fuel pump and the starter. I have a juice with attitude on it as well and it won't light up when you turn the key on.I have checked all fuses and relays. The fuseable link tested ok. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:52 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you mean it will not start or it wouldn't crank?

Old 06-11-2010, 05:10 AM
marshall5610
New User
It won't crank at all

Old 06-11-2010, 06:37 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Starter, battery, cables, ignition, fuses.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
There is a single thick yellow with light blue stripe coloured wire on the passenger side of the engine compartment, beside the vacuum pump with a "squeeze and pull" type disconnect. Disconnect it, and connect the male half of the connector to the passenger side battery positive terminal. Do this with the ignition key in the RUN position. Does the truck start?

Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM
marshall5610
New User
Tried the yellow wire, the truck cranks with the wire on the battery but still won't start, no juice to the fuel pump. by the way if the truck did start with that yellow wire like that what would have been the problem? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:36 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by marshall5610
Tried the yellow wire, the truck cranks with the wire on the battery but still won't start, no juice to the fuel pump.
So, if I understand correctly, you turned the ignition key to the RUN position and tried cranking the engine over as instructed in my previous post, but the truck failed to start, correct? How did you determine there is no juice to the fuel pump? Did you check it for power and ground at the pump connector? Did you remove the secondary fuel filter housing to see if it fills up with fuel rapidly when you cycle the key from OFF to RUN? Have you checked the inertia switch behind the passenger kick panel to make sure it hasn't tripped, opening the fuel pump circuit?
by the way if the truck did start with that yellow wire like that what would have been the problem? Thanks for your help.
Either an open circuit in the START circuit (unlikely), or the PCM failed to "see" the transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL and therefore, failed to ground the starter relay to complete the START circuit (more likely), when you attempted to crank the engine over with the key.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:48 PM
adamtheman16
Senior User
The engine died, along with multiple other accessories. Considering it died like it shut the key off, it probably lost ignition power to the ECM and/or IDM, among other items that are powered by that source. The fuel pump itself shutting off won't cause the engine to shut off instantly. Residual pressure and flow will slowly starve it within 10 seconds or so. You checked the relays, or or check for power and control power and grounds to them?

Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Did you trigger the Fuel Shutoff Valve --- the one that does so in an accident?

Old 06-11-2010, 08:54 PM
marshall5610
New User
So you think it needs a PCM because all the other accessories on the truck work. No i didn't test anything on the fuel pump but when you turn the key on you can't hear it kick on.If by some chance the shut off under the kick panel did get triggered it wouldn't have shut off immediately would it? Thanks guys for all your help.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

So you think it needs a PCM because all the other accessories on the truck work.
Whoa!!! Let's not jump the gun here. As a Ford dealer tech, whenever I follow any pinpoint test during a diagnostic process where the end result leads me to replace a module (be it an ABS module, SMART junction box, PCM etc.), I am ALWAYS very leary about doing so, without absolutely exhausting all other possibilites.
No i didn't test anything on the fuel pump but when you turn the key on you can't hear it kick on.If by some chance the shut off under the kick panel did get triggered it wouldn't have shut off immediately would it? Thanks guys for all your help.
Then perhaps you need to start doing some testing, or towing it to someone who IS capable of doing some testing, if you're not comfortable doing it. So, let's get this straight. When you turn the ignition key from OFF to RUN, do all the instrument panel warning indicators light up? Do you hear the injectors buzzing (pre-cycling)? You've already stated that you don't hear the fuel pump humming. First step. Check your battery cable connections on BOTH batteries. Pay particular attention to the driver side battery positive cable. Is the cable from the main power distribution to that cable clean and tight? This is the cable that supplies the main battery power to the interior, INCLUDING the ignition switch. Second step. Check for power and ground to the fuel pump at the fuel pump connector.

As already stated above, if the inertia switch were tripped, your engine would still run on the residual fuel pressure and volume that's left in the system until it starves out, which would result in a gradual shutdown, NOT an immediate one as you describe.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:19 AM
adamtheman16
Senior User
You said your Juice does not fire up. From what ignition source is it powered? That is the ignition source most likely related to your issue. The accessories will probably all work because it uses an accessory delay relay to power most of them via a battery saver relay in the instrument cluster, which is battery power supply from the fuse panel. The accessory relay is not powered by an ignition source, it is powered by battery power that is relayed to it. This is why your accessories are working, but you still have no Juice, fuel pump, or crank.

If you said you got it to crank, but not start, tells me you either didn't have the key on when you bypassed the start relay, you have no ECM/FICM (or relative relays) power (ignition or battery), or a failed ECM.

Like m-chan68 said, listen for the injector precycle when you turn the key on. This tells you that you have ECM power.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:37 AM
marshall5610
New User
yes the injectors pre-cycle, all the lights in the cluster come on, and I had the key in the run position when I bypassed the starter. My Edge juice plugs straight into the center plug on the PCM and it has a plug that plugs to the map sensor to read boost.Thanks again.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,380 Likes on 2,079 Posts
All great advice from the guys especially m-chan68 but one item was missed. Remove the Edge Module, then proceed.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 AM
marshall5610
New User
I have tried it with the edge off still no change in the situation. That was one of the first things that I tried when it didn't light up with the key on.Thanks for the help from everyone.

Quick Reply: 6.0 won't crank