6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 won't crank

Old 07-31-2015, 03:31 PM
Abbie Lattergrass
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next step

Originally Posted by m-chan68
There is a single thick yellow with light blue stripe coloured wire on the passenger side of the engine compartment, beside the vacuum pump with a "squeeze and pull" type disconnect. Disconnect it, and connect the male half of the connector to the passenger side battery positive terminal. Do this with the ignition key in the RUN position. Does the truck start?
Tried your advice and it's started up. What's the next step to fix the problem?
Nice to find someone who knows what they're talking about.. thanks so much.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:37 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Abbie Lattergrass
Tried your advice and it's started up. What's the next step to fix the problem?
Nice to find someone who knows what they're talking about.. thanks so much.
Next step is starting a new thread with your trucks info, any recent work done, any diag you have done, what your exact issue is.
Doing this it helps us help you.
Thank you

Old 07-31-2015, 06:09 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Start your own thread

I'm with Moe. Start your own thread describing in detail what your issue is, to get a quicker and better response to your question.

Assuming your issue is that it won't crank with the key in the START position, the next step is to have check for continuity between the ignition switch and the female end of the wire. If it checks out good, something is causing the PCM not to supply ground to the ground side of the starter relay to complete the circuit in the START position.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:58 PM
John Stotler
New User
Hi I have a 2005 f350 SD with a 6.0 my wife was driving it and it just died I went to were she was tried to start it. It starts to crank but won't it feels like the trans is trying to move when the truck tryS to crank but won't crank did I lock up the motor dose annybody know about this

Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
best bet to start a new thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Mavrett
New User
There is a single thick yellow with light blue stripe coloured wire on the passenger side of the engine compartment, beside the vacuum pump with a "squeeze and pull" type disconnect. Disconnect it, and connect the male half of the connector to the passenger side battery positive terminal. Do this with the ignition key in the RUN position. Does the truck start?

My truck is having similar problems and I did this and it cranks up and runs but I can't get it to crank at the ignition. Could you tell me how to fix this?

Old 11-12-2016, 01:17 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Mavrett
My truck is having similar problems and I did this and it cranks up and runs but I can't get it to crank at the ignition. Could you tell me how to fix this?
I'll take this one, Cheezit.

Start a new thread on this forum with your problem rather than jumping into this member's thread. It prevents confusion between the two projects. On your new thread, start with all the particulars of your truck - year, any mods, any recent work, etc., then describe your problem. Your problem sounds routine, and I'm sure the guys here can get you fixed. They've helped me many times. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM
PhoenixRising
New User
Excellent advice -- just worked

Thanks for the great advise, just purchased a 2003 that had been sitting for several years because it would not crank over. Tried your advice above connecting the yellow and blue stripe wire to the positive terminal and she fired right up!!!! Thanks great forum

Old 06-01-2018, 05:59 PM
Austin Gulley
New User
It worked.

I used the wire to start the truck and now it starts up fine. What did that do to it?

Old 06-01-2018, 11:02 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
It saved you a whole lotta time and money, lol. I'm a bonehead, especially about electrical issues, but you basically bypassed the ignition to starter connection, which means you're losing juice somewhere in that circuit. Someone here will be more specific. Or just search the forum some more to find a post with more detail. It's prolly a blown relay or fuse or something similar. The relays in the two fuse boxes (under dash and under hood) are, I believe, all the same. Maybe google to find the fuse box diagrams, identify which fuses/relays are for the starter and swap them around to see if that's the problem.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:23 PM
Meanie09
New User
I had the same problem. My fix was simple. The 20 amp fuse was burnt. Unsure why. Hopefully not a problematic short and just a 13yr old fuse

Old 03-18-2021, 03:16 PM
rltexcursion
New User
So, if I understand correctly, you turned the ignition key to the RUN position and tried cranking the engine over as instructed in my previous post, but the truck failed to start, correct? How did you determine there is no juice to the fuel pump? Did you check it for power and ground at the pump connector? Did you remove the secondary fuel filter housing to see if it fills up with fuel rapidly when you cycle the key from OFF to RUN? Have you checked the inertia switch behind the passenger kick panel to make sure it hasn't tripped, opening the fuel pump circuit?

Either an open circuit in the START circuit (unlikely), or the PCM failed to "see" the transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL and therefore, failed to ground the starter relay to complete the START circuit (more likely), when you attempted to crank the engine over with the key.

Hi,
I have a similar issue that I just cannot seem to get sorted...
2003 Excursion with 6.0l PS.
Drove all day, got home, turned off, won't crank to start, but does start with the yellow wire trick...
Any advise...
Many thanks in advance.
Ryan

Old 06-07-2021, 01:51 PM
mford57
New User
2004 F250 6.0L. Won’t crank

So, if I understand correctly, you turned the ignition key to the RUN position and tried cranking the engine over as instructed in my previous post, but the truck failed to start, correct? How did you determine there is no juice to the fuel pump? Did you check it for power and ground at the pump connector? Did you remove the secondary fuel filter housing to see if it fills up with fuel rapidly when you cycle the key from OFF to RUN? Have you checked the inertia switch behind the passenger kick panel to make sure it hasn't tripped, opening the fuel pump circuit?

Either an open circuit in the START circuit (unlikely), or the PCM failed to "see" the transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL and therefore, failed to ground the starter relay to complete the START circuit (more likely), when you attempted to crank the engine over with the key.
I can get the engine to crank by using yellow wire.
I have replaced the starter relay and still will not crank with key. Any suggestions where to go next.

Old 12-22-2021, 10:32 AM
Trenton33
New User
Random occurrence same issue

I had this issue. I came to this forum but the issue I had was not related. Bought a new smoker, went to tractor supply to get pellets came out and truck wouldn’t crank at all. Everything else was normal but no crank. No click. Checked all fuses unplugged my fan tried testing a couple things and it ended up being the terminal on my starter that goes to the smaller hot wire on the starter solenoid was broken. (Pictures below after removing the broken piece by cutting the wire and removing the terminal connection from the solenoid) I was able to put the key in the run position and touch the wire the the stud it is usually connected to on the solenoid and start it that way.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:39 PM
Saz266
1st Gear
Many thanks

I would like to thank all that posted here. I had the same issue with no crank. All the details matched including no power to my edge juice. After several hours of troubleshooting I found a loose connector on the back of the under dash fuse panel. Crazy! I knew I was not getting power to the PCM but never thought about a loose connector.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.0 won't crank