6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

DS Coolant filter,How many extra filters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
DS Coolant filter,How many extra filters?

I'll be buying a Dieselsite Coolant filter kit here in the next week or two.

How many extra filter's are you guy's buying?I was gonna get three,Is that enough?

Old 06-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,388 Likes on 2,086 Posts
3 would be a good start and it saves on shipping costs. I buy 2 at a time from NAPA for my truck.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:55 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I foolishly didn't buy any extras when I bought my kit. I was able to get a spare locally...but it wasn't a Baldwin (but it's a non-charged filter). Granted I went 10k miles between the time I installed it and when I decided to replace it. It wasn't clogged & still flowing coolant...but since allot of guys weren't getting that kind of mileage with their filters, I figured 10k was a good time.

I paid more then the $10.50 Diesel Site wants for their filters when I picked up mine locally. Something to think about.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought 3 filters and the shutoff valves for mine

Old 06-20-2010, 09:15 PM
motor-man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
Same here. 3 filters and shutoff valves.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nico963
I'll be buying a Dieselsite Coolant filter kit here in the next week or two.

How many extra filter's are you guy's buying?I was gonna get three,Is that enough?
Not sure how many miles you have on your truck but if it is over 20K to 30K, you are probably wasting your money. Your oil cooler is probably already starting to get restricted and that could lead to the EGR cooler going bad with subsequent appropriate puking resulting. Guys who had good success with coolant coolers are those who installed them on there trucks when they were new. Not saying it is not a good thing to do but just and observation.

I installed mine at 43K and changed the original filter at 48K. Very little debris trapped in the filter element with a few debris specs in the bottom of the can. The damage had already been done. At 64K replaced the EGR cooler with Bulletproofdiesel unit then at 72K I rebuilt the oil cooler and plugged the EGR cooler exhaust flow through the cooler. I just changed the coolant filter again at 90K and there was no debris I could see in the element. I leave it on my X because it does not hurt anything and if a big debirs chunk does break loose, maybe it will catch it.

DSMMH

Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 AM
motor-man
Senior User
Originally Posted by DSMMH
Not sure how many miles you have on your truck but if it is over 20K to 30K, you are probably wasting your money. Your oil cooler is probably already starting to get restricted and that could lead to the EGR cooler going bad with subsequent appropriate puking resulting. Guys who had good success with coolant coolers are those who installed them on there trucks when they were new. Not saying it is not a good thing to do but just and observation.

I installed mine at 43K and changed the original filter at 48K. Very little debris trapped in the filter element with a few debris specs in the bottom of the can. The damage had already been done. At 64K replaced the EGR cooler with Bulletproofdiesel unit then at 72K I rebuilt the oil cooler and plugged the EGR cooler exhaust flow through the cooler. I just changed the coolant filter again at 90K and there was no debris I could see in the element. I leave it on my X because it does not hurt anything and if a big debirs chunk does break loose, maybe it will catch it.

DSMMH
It's never too late for a coolant filter. Lots of stories on here of people installing them at 120 000mi and catching lots of debris in their filters. Over time more and more debris is released, it doesnt happen all at once...

Old 06-21-2010, 12:15 PM
gtdan01
Senior User

DSMMH
My 04 with 160,000 miles on it clogged up the coolant filter within 500 miles of install. And this was right after a flush and egr delete.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For those of you that are interested, once the system has been filtered good and you go to buy replacements locally, Napa has the standard replacement filter and also a shorter non-charged filter for those of you with clearance problems.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:29 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic

DSMMH
I have 29,xxx mile's on the truck.I'm gonna go into this situation looking at the glass "half full" so to speak.I'm still waiting for the coolant system to be delivered to my house.Once installed,I will have my new Edge Insight monitor and will beable to see EOT vs ECT temps.From there I will hope to see good temps and 100,000 plus mile's without any problems.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:35 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rickatic
I got the filter's,But I didn't get the shutoff valve's! I didn't know you could get them.Could I get some from Home Depot or something?