1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Trying to figure out the lock mechanism on my new altmans....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:55 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Trying to figure out the lock mechanism on my new altmans....

Just got them and started playing with them. They do not appear to lock like the old ones.

Am I mistaken or didn't the old locks, lock by using the handle on the inside?

Then the next question is how do the electric locks work? with the altmans the actuator would have to push out with one pulse and then pull back with the next. Is that how typical door locks work???

Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not 100% sure on your new locks but my doors lock by pushing the handle down (pretty sure its down) its been a while

Old 10-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Mine don't lock from the inside. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they are made not to lock from the inside? The mechanism doesn't budge on mine. It IS highly possible I have got mine all wrong, tho.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:11 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got the stock door latching mechanism in my hand right now, and I can see that when the inside handle moves one way it frees a ratchet sprocket, allowing the door to open. When the handle goes the other way, it does lock the door.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I seem to recall that when the Altmans first came out there was much discussion on here by those who had installed them that they would not lock from the inside. It seems like someone used electric locks to do just that???????????

Old 10-23-2014, 09:36 AM
midfifty
Former Vendor
Correct they only lock from the outside unless you do something custom

Old 10-23-2014, 11:06 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I the only one that find this really annoying??? all parts supplier that tell you how incredibly good there parts are but forget to mention these little details that becomes really annoying.....

Just received a set of original altmans easy latch after have been doing some Web research on the subject and this fact jumps up and bite you in the ***.

It even states on the Web to be a complete bolt in replacement of the old poor design.

Well, that poor design could be locked from inside. Despite having other weaknesses

I just had to rant about it. It's not the first time and probably not the last I am afraid

Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 PM
midfifty
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jimcar-9
Am I the only one that find this really annoying??? all parts supplier that tell you how incredibly good there parts are but forget to mention these little details that becomes really annoying.....

Just received a set of original altmans easy latch after have been doing some Web research on the subject and this fact jumps up and bite you in the ***.

It even states on the Web to be a complete bolt in replacement of the old poor design.

Well, that poor design could be locked from inside. Despite having other weaknesses

I just had to rant about it. It's not the first time and probably not the last I am afraid
Hello, we are sorry about your frustration, if you a referring to us, on our website it says "Uses stock door handles inside and out, and stock outside key lock." and also in all of our catalogs it says "Uses stock door handles inside and out. Even locks with stock outside key lock.! (Inside handle does not lock door) "

We are sorry if our descriptions are not clear enough, we wish it locked from the inside too, it is beyond our control though.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by midfifty
Hello, we are sorry about your frustration, if you a referring to us, on our website it says "Uses stock door handles inside and out, and stock outside key lock." and also in all of our catalogs it says "Uses stock door handles inside and out. Even locks with stock outside key lock.! (Inside handle does not lock door) "

We are sorry if our descriptions are not clear enough, we wish it locked from the inside too, it is beyond our control though.
Well I did check your site aswell before buying, among all other sites available, triquemig. Nowere did I find this info.

I didn't check the catalog, unfortunately

Well I guess I just haveto be creative.

But I am starting to get more and more suspicious when it comes product specifications, especially when it comes to "what has been left out"

Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
I also bought a set of the original ones and found out later that they weren't going to work with the original handles. Kind of a pain since you either have to install electric locks, fabricate up some new linkage or you can dish out and buy the cylinder block and lock cylinder to install a lock in the drivers door which still needs to be locked from the outside. I think the electric locks are the easiest and if they fail you can still get in through the manual lock on the passenger door. I hope....

Old 10-23-2014, 11:05 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I like the safety of the Altman latches, but IMPO that kind of diminishes if my wife cant lock the doors while driving thru a questionable neighborhood.