1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Are original paint colors available in aerosol cans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Cabledude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are original paint colors available in aerosol cans?

I tried looking through some old threads about paint but couldn't find any info on this. Does anyplace carry aerosol spray cans of original paint for older vehicles? I would like to paint some of the interior parts while I have them off, original 54 F250 color was B (Sheridan Blue). Also I will have the valve cover off and would like to paint it, it is a light gray, would have to be a heat resistant paint. Can't find anything locally, even the body shops say their paint is a two stage clearcoat. I'm not close to the painting stage, but I suppose if I could find paint in a larger size I might have to buy a cheap sprayer.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
A body shop won't be able to help you, but their paint supply store can. Any automotive paint jobber (that's not in California, -snicker-) should be able to mix up a small amount of the correct color and put it in a spray can for you. It won't be cheap, though, and it will be a non-catalyzed enamel. Not the most durable of products by today's standards, but it will work.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's possible, might check NPD. I know they do it for the vintage mustangs, so it's worth a shot.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
paint supply shops here too . they can scan if they dont have the codes and supply ya with it . about 14 a can here too .

Old 06-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Zitro
Freshman User
Found this site a while back, http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ I've never used them and the aerosol spray is pricey @ 19.95 for a 12 oz. can. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I recall once seeing a self charging can that you fill with paint then pressurize with an air compressor, don't remember where now, or how well it works. Good luck!<o></o>

Old 06-08-2010, 11:46 PM
remhaust
Senior User

I know up here hedahls auto parts store can put any paint u want in an areosal can for u.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Cabledude
Senior User
Probably be cheaper in the long run to just buy a paint sprayer. The body shops are telling me their paint now is in a two stage process, first the color, then the clearcoat. Can't you get a paint that you spray on with a laquer already in it? I would like to do some of the interior such as doors, floor, etc. without having to do it in two stages but if thats how it has to be........

Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Virtually any 2-stage (basecoat/clearcoat) paint formulation can be provided in a single stage as well. HF carries a rechargable 16 oz spray can that you can pour paint into, screw on the cap, and then pressurize using compressed air, nitrogen, or whatever. This canister then becomes your own custom "rattle can". I would invest in an airbrush setup with a cheap compressor, it's amazing how much area you can cover with one of these airbrushes and the investment is small compared to the versatility.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
LSJUNIPER
Senior User
I used to purchase paint from ppg in an aerosol form, they (ppg) called them paint bombs. But they were water based paints and would not hold up for to long even with a clear coat. They work well for parts that are inside of the vehicle.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There are companies that will "build you up" spray paint in what ever colors you like. I can't find the link at the moment, but yo umight look through this site for some:

Spray-Paint-Depot - Aerosols

Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Cabledude
Senior User
I was hoping someone might already know a paint code that would match the original called Sheridan Blue. I have a compressor already so might look into a sprayer as I will have some under the hood painting to do also. Walmart has a gravity flow one for about $30, don't know how good it is. Maybe for Father's Day.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:38 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
It is not likely that you will find a paint code for a 54 vehicle, paint manufacturers don't sell enough paint for these vehicles to warrant the expense. I just painted a 55 F100 for a customer that was the original blue code "D"...I paid the paint supply shop $30 to match the color and now I have a PPG code that I can use to buy more if needed.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:56 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
yep i gave a buddy my ash tray to color match the mettallic green my 53 is { non stock and i think it's an oe ford color from the 70's } and it cost me nothing as he works at a paint supply shop . now i got the prices for single and two stage , as well as the formula for " jade green " and it even matches the zodiac green vinyl material i want so badly for my interior { vinyl } . also i found this neat little air brush deal at the local true value called a preval spray unit . has a kit with the paint jar etc. in it and you can buy new spray power units . no hoses etc. , use like a spray can , can use automotive paints in it , and the power units are disposeable . going to use it to do some of the little things and touch ups when the time arrives . might want to check it out ...................Preval | Affordable & Portable Aerosol Spray System .

Old 06-10-2010, 02:59 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
oh and not all two stage colors are available in can . could not get the laser red colors from ford in a spray can period around here when i wanted to touch up the wifes now defunct windstar van ...................................... god what bad memories come back when i mention that turd .... 3.8 fords are JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:15 AM
wmw
Freshman User
Thumbs up Sheridan Blue Paint Code

Originally Posted by Cabledude
I tried looking through some old threads about paint but couldn't find any info on this. Does anyplace carry aerosol spray cans of original paint for older vehicles? I would like to paint some of the interior parts while I have them off, original 54 F250 color was B (Sheridan Blue). Also I will have the valve cover off and would like to paint it, it is a light gray, would have to be a heat resistant paint. Can't find anything locally, even the body shops say their paint is a two stage clearcoat. I'm not close to the painting stage, but I suppose if I could find paint in a larger size I might have to buy a cheap sprayer.

The following code is for a 53 F100 I recently had touched up which is original color. PP&G code (10428) is not original color. It is too light although picture of chip is correct on color chart. Correct code is; Sheridan Blue Paint Code for the 53 F100 is Color Code B/Duco 864/Dulux 93-81501

Quick Reply: Are original paint colors available in aerosol cans?