General Automotive Discussion

Homemade oil change sticker - how to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:08 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Homemade oil change sticker - how to?

I like to change my own oil, but would like to make my own window reminder stickers. What the best way to do this? Will ordinary scotch tape turn yellow and leave a snail track of goo on the windshield? Perhaps these are available from a store or internet supplier?

Old 06-03-2010, 05:25 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Here is a possibility. There are only 6 per package. I just searched Amazon, you might try a Google search for more options.

Amazon.com: Dorman 65287 AutoGrade Oil Change Sticker: Automotive

Old 06-03-2010, 06:02 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
I usually write the date and mileage on the oil filter, and on a door jamb sticker which I record the things done. A log book could also be used. If you know anyone that changes a lot of oil they might give you some.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always write date, miles and what was done in the back of the owners manual. Of course now 11 years and 250K miles later the back of my owners manual is now full of dates and info.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:45 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
I wish I could be that organized. Usually I just write directly on my workbench in the shop date/mileage info. If I ever had a disputed warranty related failure, guess I'd have to haul the bench over to the dealer along with scrunched up oil receipts.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:03 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I slap a piece of blue masking tape on the door jamb near the data plate.
I just write the date and mileage with a Sharpie.

I almost always do a chassis and driveline lube while waiting for the oil to finish draining.
Annual tune up includes air and fuel filters, fresh plugs, cap & rotor.
I purge the brake system with a quart of fluid, change the plug wires and check the timing every couple of years.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Heck, many parts stores have rolls of these stickers, and will gladly give a few to anyone who asks.
Using a paint marker, and writing the mileage on the filter is works pretty decent, if the filter is visible. All but one of my vehicles have a very visible oil filter (300 I6 and rotaries) so I tend to do this on those vehicles. The nissan, on the other hand, has a very well hidden oil filter. I'd have to learn to read and write braille for this idea to be of any use.......

Old 06-03-2010, 11:39 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avery #4162 labels or something in the 2" width works well. You can print what you want on them or print and hand label like a normal sticker. They remove fairly easily.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:36 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Heck, many parts stores have rolls of these stickers, and will gladly give a few to anyone who asks.
Using a paint marker, and writing the mileage on the filter is works pretty decent, if the filter is visible. All but one of my vehicles have a very visible oil filter (300 I6 and rotaries) so I tend to do this on those vehicles. The nissan, on the other hand, has a very well hidden oil filter. I'd have to learn to read and write braille for this idea to be of any use.......
advance auto here has them hanging right by the oil rack,they are free,you can take as many as you need.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:32 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
Here is a possibility. There are only 6 per package. I just searched Amazon, you might try a Google search for more options.

Amazon.com: Dorman 65287 AutoGrade Oil Change Sticker: Automotive
That looks like a pretty good deal. I found some Amsoil stickers for sale on the internet too. I'll keep an eye out for some at the auto supply store next time I'm in there too.

I keep detailed records of all maintenance activities on all my cars, but I keep those in the glove box in the owner's manual. I like to be able to see how close I am mileage-wise by just glancing up at the windshield without digging around. With 7 vehicles to keep running, I like to keep things simple.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I change my oil at 10,000 intervals at or near the mileage point. It's easy to remember that way.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
I just use a notebook I keep in the car. Its a small two subject one. First section is for oil change and maintaince records, the second is for keeping records of miliage, gallons bought, fuel indicated in tank for keeping track of miliage.

Aside from that there are some restoration companies I know that sells universal "Ford" maintaince stickers for the door jambs. If you are interested I can get the links to the different ones and post them.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 AM
OilChangeSticker
New User
I made this Online Sticker that I can setup on my mobile phone which is near me always.
I think the date and mileage at which the last oil change was done is the best data.
The form is editable, so you just change it with each subsequent oil change and save that data.

You guys can try it here:
My Oil Change Information | We Save Your Oil Change Information for you.

You can bookmark your page from the browser in your phone and even make it appear as an icon shortcut to your page.

Hope you like it.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Cigargoyle
New User
I write everything I do on the underside of the hood with a Sharpie.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:13 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
I use the odometer. I use a 5,000 mile OCI, so, once it's synchronized, the oil gets changes every time the odometer clicks over to a exact multiple of 5K. Don't need to write the mileage down that way...

Quick Reply: Homemade oil change sticker - how to?