1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

xj6 shock question

Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 PM
zeke51
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xj6 shock question

I am using an XJ6 front end in my F1. I am wondering if anyone is using or knows of a shorter shock that can be used for that application. Thanks for any help!

Old 06-05-2010, 06:35 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by zeke51
I am using an XJ6 front end in my F1. I am wondering if anyone is using or knows of a shorter shock that can be used for that application. Thanks for any help!
I am using stock replacement XJ shocks. I happened to find a NOS pair of Koni's on the bay. I made my upper shock mounts to go with them. Pix of mounts in my gallery. Have you already fabricated your upper shock mounts?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 AM
zeke51
Junior User
I havent mounted the shocks yet. I am hoping there is someone who has gone to a shorter shcok that would help minimize the amount of inner fenderwell I have to cut to let the shock mount.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:17 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Since you need to fab the upper mounts anyhow you could use almost any shock meant for a vehicle of a similar weight. Most of the performance shock manufacturers Such as Koni, Bilstein, Afco list the compressed and extended length of their shocks. Koni for sure has a very helpful tech department more than willing to help, give them a call.
I'm not sure why you can't fab a mount that doesn't require cutting the inner fender at all?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:18 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Zeke, I bought standard replacement monroe sensa tracs, then fabbed the upper mount to fit. Because of the way the shock mounts to the lower control arm, up through the upper control arm, the upper mount can only be in one spot. I think if you found a shorter shock that avoided cutting the inner fender, it may not have enough travel.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:50 PM
zeke51
Junior User
Axc because of the geometry of the Xj6 shock mounting vs. the stock mount it is almost for certain that the inner fender well needs to be trimmed. I have seen the mounts made by willard,rhopper etc. All look very clean and functional. Just exploring options that might yield a good ride AND minimize the cutting. Good info so that is appreciated. I dont know why cutting the fender well is any big deal seeings how I have hacked up almost every piece of sheet for some mod or another! lol

Rhoppe thanks to you too! I knew in my suspension soul that is an issue but I have always lived outside the box. Just exploring options. Thanks again for all your previous help.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Most shocks have ample travel, the length is set by the body length and rod length. Just subtract the collapsed length from the extended length to get the total travel. Measure how far the lower mount moves or figure 8" (4" compression, 4" rebound) is plenty unless you are going offroading. If you are going to cut the inner fender, turning the edge will give it a factory look and is easy to do.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:05 PM
zeke51
Junior User
Thanks axracer. Good info!

Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Zeke,
I barely had to trim the inner fender to clear the shock mount. More trimming would have been required if I stayed with my original fabricated mount. That is why I redid the mounts. Pix of both in my gallery.

Search this Thread