2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Looking at buyin an '07... opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 04:13 PM
torysdaddy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at buyin an '07... opinions?

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for quite some time and love the site. I have had my '04 Expy EB for a little under 3 years now and absolutely love it, it has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Only thing I have had a problem with was a rear shock rusting out and the infamous paint bubbling on the liftgate. Other than that, just tires and oil changes for that baby. However it is getting up near 100k miles now and my extended warranty coverage is running out so I am considering the purchase of a newer lower mileage Expedition EB.

I cannot seem to get a definitive answer from all the car review sites, some say yes and some say no, so I turn to you - the experts. I am looking at a 2007 Expy EB with everything except for air suspension, NAV, and power liftgate. I plan on adding the NAV cuz I love it in my current Expy and I may add the air suspension as well because I really like that too.

I am just curious to hear from you guys, the ones that own this new body style Expedition, how are they? Are they as solid as my '04 has been or are there any particular things that can be a pain with them? I know they have the upgraded engine with the 3v and the new 6-speed trans, but are these trucks as solid and reliable as my '04? Any and all feedback would really be appreciated because I have a deposit on the '07 and am set to go pick it up on Tues. The new one has 66k miles and is certified to 100k, and they only want $24k for it.

Thanks a lot!

Old 05-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
these are very solid. the only real difference between your 2004 and the 2007+ is the transmission. the frame was slightly changed to support the EL body style. nothing major though.

the 5.4 3v motor is based on your 5.4 2v motor and is very reliable...a slight issue with spark plugs sticking, but not that major. search and you'll see.

the tranny is a 6 speed and really gives the vehicle alot more performance. still about the same MPG's though. maybe 1 mpg better.

once you start poking around in a 07+, you'll find that it's pretty much what you already have. all the features are in almost the exact same place, and work nearly the same. I personally would NOT get the Air Suspension. Too many factors that can break and cause problems. The NAV is a great add-on.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:00 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
I bought my 07 new and absolutely love it. I don't believe you could go wrong buying one. As for any suv's on the market you can find good examples and bad. I'm also inclined not to get the air suspension. It didn't come with mine and personally feel that I don't miss it. Good luck with your purchase

Old 05-29-2010, 09:23 PM
TIKT B8
Senior User
I love my 07.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:08 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TIKT B8
I love my 07.
What he said.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:50 PM
hookd
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would do it again in a heartbeat, this thing is great. between the safety features and the reliability its a no brain er if you get into something that hasn't been abused

Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 AM
torysdaddy
New User
Thanks for all the great input guys I really appreciate it! There was one thing I noticed on the test drive that may be worth mentioning. When we first started the truck and pulled out of the dealership I noticed the 1-2 shift seemed rather abrupt and almost felt like it slipped a little... Subsequent shifts were much better bu I still noticed after a few more take-offs that the 1-2 did seem a bit rough. Now i have heard that these trannys are electronically controlled so is there possibly a need for a reset of some sort before I get too worried? And if so, is this something I can do myself if need be? Thanks again for the help and i can't wait to get into this truck Wednesday!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

1st gear is a 4.30 ratio...most auto's are in the 2.5 ratio range. it's steeper geared than a 2000-2004 F-250 stickshift.

If you buy it from a Dealership, make sure they have flashed the computer to the latest drive strategies. early 2007 models had a shifting issue that Ford tweaked in the programming to correct

Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 AM
gr8dain
Senior User
Originally Posted by hookd
Would do it again in a heartbeat, this thing is great. between the safety features and the reliability its a no brain er if you get into something that hasn't been abused

In fact, I did do it again. When my first '07 got totalled in February, I searched and found another '07 and bought it in March. This time, I got the Nav. No air suspension. I love the Nav. spent some time playing with it to learn the functions. Still learning. My only issues with the new one are the fact that the battery was crap and I had to replace it a couple of weeks into ownership, and the fact that the used car dealer put new tires on it. I was about to replace the tires on my previous one and was looking forward to getting rid of the Pirellis. Now this truck has brand new Pirellis on it. And I can't seem to just get rid of them until I put a lot more miles on them. Maybe after this upcoming winter I will feel the need again.

I love mine and am glad I got another. Just too many features that I could not get from the other trucks I was looking at for the same price.

Dain

Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
unreal72
Freshman User
New owner

I am a new 07 EL limited owner. I really like the truck but have a few issues with it. The transmission was a problem for me but I had it reflashed and it seems to shift much smoother now. The interior plastics are noisy. The AC is weak. Since I have the 20's the ride is a little rough as I can feel every bump in the road.

With that being said, the +'s outweigh the -'s. I love the leather...I absolutely LOVE the back-up sensors and the power lift gate. The NAV is also great. I am still getting used to the truck but I like it more and more everyday. I paid 25K not counting the ESP warranty / tire and wheel coverage/ and Gap protection. It had 71,000 at time of purchase.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Cabinboy07
Freshman User
We love our 07 EL Limited. We have only had it for a month now, but it has been solid. We haven't noticed any "rough" shifting, so maybe ours has the newer profiles already. I researched a lot of other options, but nothing really compared.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 PM
gddyup
Senior User
Bought my 07 Limited EL with 14k on the clock last year after trading in my 03 Screw. Looking back on that decision, I'm still very happy I made it! I really enjoy driving this thing. Much more fun than my Screw and MUCH more room.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:00 PM
torysdaddy
New User
Well thanks again for all the feedback guys! I went ahead and took the plunge and traded my '04 Expy EB in for an '07 Expy EB. So far I absolutely love it, they even went to certify it and ended up putting 4 brand new tires on it for me!

Only problem I see now is that I think either all 4 or the back 2 rotors are warped, the dealer wants me to wait a week and see if it goes away. They tried to tell me that since the truck was sitting on the lot for so long they tend to rust and that it may go away... I can tell for sure it won't though. I can feel the telltale pulsation in the pedal and when I'm stopping I can actually see the back end move from side to side slightly... time for some new rotors!

I am in love already, though, especially with what seems to be an extensive upgrade to the steering system on the new body style. The steering is like night and day compared to my '04, it is a lot easier to steer and there is less play and chatter like I had in my old Expy. The ride is so much smoother and more comfortable, it amazes me since they are basically the same truck. I am thoroughly impressed so far, and hope to enjoy many more miles out of this truck.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:46 PM
kennisonxgs
Senior User
I hope it treats you well. Despite various squeaks and rattles, I love mine (although it now belongs to the girlfriend).
Just to reitterate what others have said: observe the 3-2-1 shifts. If it's too harsh, get the tsb performed. It's not harsh all of the time so you may need to drive it a bit to see if it does it.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

she's a beaut. I love the tan trim on the EB's. enough that the wife and I have discussed grabbing some to get a little color on our Limited.

feel you on the brakes...it's annoying.

as for the Certified Part...did you know you have a better Warranty Used than you do New? sadly (good in your case), Ford gives Certified Used cars a better than new warranty