Notices
2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator
Old 11-24-2014, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

AC and P0354 Ignition Coil D Primary circuit fault

Old 05-28-2017, 04:25 PM
genegladden
New User
genegladden is starting off with a positive reputation.
2008 F250 V10 Triton 6.8L

I had the exact same symptoms. I left my truck sitting for three days. I came back and started it up. As soon As I left the driveway, it felt like a a coil was bad. Then about five minutes later, my AC was blowing warm air each time the engine light started blinking. When the Engine light stopped blinking, then my AC would blow cold air. I thought the computer may be trying to save power by turning off assessors. So the next day, I searched google for "V10 triton missing engine light air conditioner turning off" The first search result was this thread. I read it and was thrilled. Thanks for posting it! Hello from Seattle brother.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:14 PM
Harley Myers
New User
Harley Myers is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank You

Because you took the time to post this you saved me doing the same thing. And yes the ac line burned through the coil wire shorting ot causing the same cylinder 4 miss and the ac clutch cutting out. I appreciate the heads up.
Originally Posted by 1lrover1 View Post
Sorry this is long but it could save you hundreds. I just thought I would post this as I'm sure it has happened before and will certainly happen again (just not to me). Hopefully, it will save someone time, money and aggravation. The issue here is something that leaves me questioning Ford engineering. Ok, so here we go. I have a 2008 Expedition EL and this past Friday while on the interstate I noticed my air not as cold as usual, at the same time I noticed a hesitation / stumble at speed. Upon exiting, at idle, the car had a bad miss and the AC now was nothing, just blowing hot air. It wasn't until I made it home (which was only a few miles away that the amber engine light came on. Ok, off to Advance and I will have the code read to figure out what was going on. The guy at advance relayed the code to me (P054 Ignition Coil D Primary circuit failure) and promptly informed me that the likely culprit was the coil pac as they are notorious for going bad on the 5.4. Although he did not know which cylinder I later deternined D was #4 on the pass. side closest to the firewall. Great, I thought $45 and some struggling against the firewall and I will have fixed one of the two isssues.

So, what happened to my AC? Maybe I have a leak and just need to recharge it I thought, but after looking into it, the compressor would not engage. Perfect, $300 plus to fix that one.

Oh well, back to the coil pac, in 15 minutes the new one was installed the truck fired up and..yep, still a miss. So, maybe the plug is bad and not firing. This in itself is a crime, the plug could not be found locally. Seems that Ford had an issue with plugs and mid 08 changed to a different design, of course no one had it except the local Ford dealer. Yep, $20 later and I had ONE plug (so between coil pacs and plugs this thing would be a $500+ tune up). Anyway, back to the truck to swap out the plug..you guessed it, fired it up and still a miss. So what is going on? Only then, after spending $70 and many choice words the problem revealed itself. When unhooking the connection to the coil pac for the third time, the BS tape used to guard the wires peeled back and there it was bald copper with a millimeter of just plain yellow insulation. How did this happen? A quick look at the AC lines and the puzzle was over. The wires in all their natural glory laid up next to the AC line, which got hot and melted the insulation and wire, killing #4 and grounding the compressor all at once. Two seemingly different problems yet, one cause. After struggling to reconnect the broken yellow lead and placing a 1 cent cable tie to keep it off of the AC line all is well. Cold AC and no miss. Now I can only wonder how much my local dealer would have taken me for. So, if your AC quits and you get a miss on #4, maybe you can save the $70 I spent and come away with only a modest dent in your electrical tape roll and a 1 cent cable tie!

Old 03-31-2019, 06:52 PM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
Just so ya'll understand, the computer intentionally disabled the air conditioner compressor when there is a severe misfire, that's part of its operating strategy.

So, for anyone faced with a severe misfire AND the loss of refrigeration that coincide, just focus on fixing the misfire and the A/C should be fine once the engine is running properly again.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:02 PM
CathedralCub
Posting Guru
CathedralCub is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks to 1lrover1 for posting this. He's a "one and done" as he has never come back, but has helped many for almost a decade now.

Good to know the AC strategy as well!

Old 06-23-2019, 08:25 PM
Marlins Eramthgin
New User
Marlins Eramthgin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same issue with a twist..

[ itbxbx. Nx. X, MD.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Marlins Eramthgin
New User
Marlins Eramthgin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post
Just so ya'll understand, the computer intentionally disabled the air conditioner compressor when there is a severe misfire, that's part of its operating strategy.

So, for anyone faced with a severe misfire AND the loss of refrigeration that coincide, just focus on fixing the misfire and the A/C should be fine once the engine is running properly again.
Because I got water into the #4 spark plug hole and it was causing a p0354 code to be thrown. And my a/c went down as well. And so when I was reading these threads that hey they have is yellow wire that was burned against the AC line I was thinking there's got to be something to do with the misfire code and that being part of the shut down procedure of the engine or whatever when you have a misfire so thank you for posting that that will save other people Mike me that knew what caused the misfire code but couldn't understand how the AC shutdown

Old 07-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Jim Anders
New User
Jim Anders is starting off with a positive reputation.
9 years and amazing

I just wanna thank you very much for this because Iíve spend 8k between a motor 3 sets of injectors coils and plugs . If Iíve found this months ago Iíd be 8k richer, Iíve just found this post out of the blue used my 15 minute break and moved my harness and my rough idle stopped and you are a life saver thank you so much I canít thank you enough

Originally Posted by 1lrover1 View Post
Sorry this is long but it could save you hundreds. I just thought I would post this as I'm sure it has happened before and will certainly happen again (just not to me). Hopefully, it will save someone time, money and aggravation. The issue here is something that leaves me questioning Ford engineering. Ok, so here we go. I have a 2008 Expedition EL and this past Friday while on the interstate I noticed my air not as cold as usual, at the same time I noticed a hesitation / stumble at speed. Upon exiting, at idle, the car had a bad miss and the AC now was nothing, just blowing hot air. It wasn't until I made it home (which was only a few miles away that the amber engine light came on. Ok, off to Advance and I will have the code read to figure out what was going on. The guy at advance relayed the code to me (P054 Ignition Coil D Primary circuit failure) and promptly informed me that the likely culprit was the coil pac as they are notorious for going bad on the 5.4. Although he did not know which cylinder I later deternined D was #4 on the pass. side closest to the firewall. Great, I thought $45 and some struggling against the firewall and I will have fixed one of the two isssues.

So, what happened to my AC? Maybe I have a leak and just need to recharge it I thought, but after looking into it, the compressor would not engage. Perfect, $300 plus to fix that one.

Oh well, back to the coil pac, in 15 minutes the new one was installed the truck fired up and..yep, still a miss. So, maybe the plug is bad and not firing. This in itself is a crime, the plug could not be found locally. Seems that Ford had an issue with plugs and mid 08 changed to a different design, of course no one had it except the local Ford dealer. Yep, $20 later and I had ONE plug (so between coil pacs and plugs this thing would be a $500+ tune up). Anyway, back to the truck to swap out the plug..you guessed it, fired it up and still a miss. So what is going on? Only then, after spending $70 and many choice words the problem revealed itself. When unhooking the connection to the coil pac for the third time, the BS tape used to guard the wires peeled back and there it was bald copper with a millimeter of just plain yellow insulation. How did this happen? A quick look at the AC lines and the puzzle was over. The wires in all their natural glory laid up next to the AC line, which got hot and melted the insulation and wire, killing #4 and grounding the compressor all at once. Two seemingly different problems yet, one cause. After struggling to reconnect the broken yellow lead and placing a 1 cent cable tie to keep it off of the AC line all is well. Cold AC and no miss. Now I can only wonder how much my local dealer would have taken me for. So, if your AC quits and you get a miss on #4, maybe you can save the $70 I spent and come away with only a modest dent in your electrical tape roll and a 1 cent cable tie!