1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

New rims + tires for my 97 Expy

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 11:26 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-06-2002, 10:47 PM
pstolpackr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New rims + tires for my 97 Expy

Hey all, I have 97 5.4L Eddie Bauer and am tired of the factory rims on it. I was considering putting on either 20inch KMC Bofa wheels or getting a 16inch rim with BF Goodrich Mud Terrain A/T tires. I am really torn between the two and my friends give me mixed input...but the majority of them say get the 20's. What do you guys think?

P.S. I dont have any pics of my car yet (it's winter here, it needs a wash!) but if you want to see an (almost) exact replica of my expy, go here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/pictorial/big/1998_expedition_1.html

1997 Expedition Eddie Bauer
5.4 L V-8
Custom cat-back dual exhaust (rear-exit, no muffler )
Manik 1-Piece Grille Guard
PIAA 520 Fog Lights
Front + Rear AVS blackouts / Clear Tail-lights (switch off every now and then)
MTX Thunderform Amplified Sub
Pioneer Premier DEH-P930 Cd player
Pioneer Premier 6-Cd changer

Old 02-07-2002, 07:24 AM
Petrol
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most important consideration is where you intend to be driving your Expy.

The Trails are no place for 20's as you'll just bend the pretty rims in short order (not much sidewall to flex and protect the things)
You will also be severly limited in your choice of tires in the 18, 20 and up sizes. This is likily to improve over the next couple of years as more interest / demand gets the tire manufacturers fighting for the market. This situation will also be helped by the likes of Dodge offering 20's as an option on their new "mayor of truckville" (note lower case).

You will also need to keep in mind what will be done for winter driving as good "All-Season" 20's let alone winter 20's are just not available (think rim protection again). Even BMW "recommends" swapping from the standard 20's on their new 4.6L SUV
to 18's for winter driving.

Also of concern when talking 20's is the load rating. Keep in mind that many of these tires were NOT designed for life on a SUV. You will need to look at the max load rating on your present EB 17's (for instance 2250 lbs @ 40 psi). The 20's you are looking at, if not specified as a "Truck / SUV Design" will need to be "up-sized" in load capacity, ie get one that is rated to carry 10-15% more then the tires you will be replacing. You may be doing an impression of an overloaded Explorer with under inflated Firestones if you are not careful.

As for the 16's well we all know that size is widely available in a verity of sizes, load ratings and tread patterns from every manufacturer.

If you need more info you can check with a knowledgable local dealer or a national mailorder house like Tirerack.com

Petrol
99 XLT 5.4L