Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil leak out of braided hose below fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Lushman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak out of braided hose below fuel filter

After returning from a camping trip this weekend I noticed a little oil under my truck. I looked under, and the whole underside is covered starting from the tranny back. I found the leak coming from the connector of a braided line on the drivers side of the fuel filter assembly. There are 2 fuel tubes above it, and then 2 braided oil lines. It seemed loose, and the manual talks about a special Ford removal tool, but I was able to get a wrench on it and tighten it, but it is still leaking a good amount. This seems very random to me? Is there some kind of seal or O-ring that can go bad at this connector? Do I need to replace the entire hose?
Also, in order to get a wrench on the oil hose, I needed to remove one of the fuel lines above it. When reinstalling the fuel line I noticed what looks to be a corroded O-ring, but it is not shown in the manual? I will need to replace it if it supposed to be there, and was wondering if I need to use a special type that is resistant to diesel fuel or not?
Thanks as usual to FTE!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
The high pressure oil line is leaking, and you can find the reseal kit at the website refenced above. The special tool that is referenced, is nothing more than an open ended wrench that has been filed down on the ends. the HPO hoses are quick disconnect (push down on small black sleeve around the connection of the hose to the boss.) The "o-ring" on the fuel line is a sleeve, and can also be procured from guzzles Diesel Orings dot com. Anytime you disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel bowl it is a good idea to replace these sleeves. Go to the diesel orings website, and look up HPOP reseal, and fuel bowl sleeves, there will be instructions for tear down and reseal. Look here http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/fullHPOP.pdf

Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So the braided line was leaking, right? That's the HPOP connection and you DO NOT want to over-tighten those connectors. They are ORB adapters screwed into the pump, and the threads are easily stripped. There are O-rings under them that you'll probably need to replace. The "special tool" is to disconnect the HPOP lines from the adapters. I just used two flat-blade screwdrivers, one on each side of the connector, and with a little manual dexterity I was able to pull the lines. Bob (guzzle) has all the seals (the seals on the fuel lines are called "Parker Sleeves"), and you'll want to put new O-rings under those HPOP connections. You probably just delayed the inevitable.

I had to pull my HPOP to do the "non-serviceable" plug (which Bob also has a kit for) a few months ago. Here are the pics, and also a link to the Adrenaline HPOP install which has some good info for you as well:
HPOP pictures from trucks photos on webshots
http://www.dieselsite.com/pdffiles/a...structions.pdf

Old 06-01-2010, 09:09 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines Just give Bob a call and he'll fix you right up with the O-rings and fuel sleeves, you'll need.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You hae a bad o-ring on the leaking HPOP outlet fitting.

See Guzzle's site for HPOP o-rings and instructions. LINK
The hoses have a 99.99% chance of being OK.

Here's the link to Guzzle's Parker fuel line sleeves. LINK

You'll need four parker sleeves to do the four fuel lines on the fuel bowl. One 3/8" (fuel supply line to fuel bowl), one 5/16" (fuel return line) and two 1/4" (fuel supply line to each head) for the fuel bowl connections. Those sleeves get pretty screwed up sfter they've been o there awhile.

Edit: I got too wordy and Roland beat me.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD

Edit: I got too wordy and Roland beat me.
What ya' talking about, Robin? Brandon & Joe "swooped in" and beat me out , too. LOL

Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mueckster
What ya' talking about, Robin? Brandon & Joe "swooped in" and beat me out , too. LOL
Well chit, I didn't even notice those two speedy guys.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Lushman
Elder User
Awesome! Thanks so much to everybody for the info, pictures and links. I didn't realize Guzzle had a website for selling all of these items and will just check there next time!! FTE is once again the best! I ordered everthing this morning and should have them in a couple days to get going again!