2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever put a frame on one of these trucks?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever put a frame on one of these trucks?

I'm trying to figure out what to do. About a month ago I discovered the frame on my truck is bent. I paid a body shop to straighten it with a 10 ton frame rack (Chassisliner) to straighten it. They were able to get it straighter, but it is still to the point where the steering wheel is crooked, and the tie rod adjustment is maxed out. The truck wound up maxing out the pump on the chassis liner, and bending their clamps. I found a new frame on Ebay for it, and I am debating whether or not to buy it, and do a frame swap, or just do a little "adjusting" of the driver tie rod. I would rather have a truck with a straight frame, but I dont exactly know how I will get the cab off of the truck. I dont have a hoist or anything.

I'm thinking about using a couple of floor jacks, and supporting the truck cab on blocks, and rolling the frame out from under it.

That or do you guys think there is a different shop that can pull my frame straight? I just enjoy the idea of having a truck with a new frame. Plus I think it would be a cool experience to pull the whole thing apart this next year.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pulled the body of a '50 Plymouth wagon off it's chassis by gradually jacking up the corners with a bottle jack, cribbing it with cinder blocks and heavy cross beams, then rolling the chassis out from under it. I was one heck of a lot younger (read stupider) back then. I would certainly hate to try it now.

It's doable but make sure you have plenty of cribbing and beams of some sort long enough for the cribbing to clear the tires if you opt to roll the frame out. Just don't figure on this being a weekend project.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 PM
slomafarms
Senior User
sounds like a huge pain to me....

Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Remember what I said about stupider? I was young and poor back then (now I'm old and poor).

Old 05-26-2010, 11:55 PM
slomafarms
Senior User
excuse for a new truck

Old 05-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Like Lady Fitzgerald said, it's a lot of work. I did the same thing years ago with a 55 Olds. The only thing I would say is, that if you do this project, when you are done you will still have a 7 year old truck, assuming you get it done next year. The cab is just bolted to the frame like anything else. It's not rocket science. Harbor Frieght sells a Grantry frame that would be ideal to lift the cab off the frame. You might be able to rent one from somewhere.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Despite what I said, I can't really condemn someone for doing something so ambitious. It would be less expensive than a new truck and the OP just may be really attached to that truck or finds it more desireable than the newer ones. I bought the last year that Rangers that had the twin I-beams even though the one I had still had plenty of life in my existing one simply because I loved how reliable that old front end was and how flimsy the new front ends looked, especially with those torsion bars hanging down just begging to get clipped by a high curb, small child, or whatever. I think the '08 F-150s look much better than the '09s and up even though they are better trucks. Whether to keep working on older iron or replacing it with newer depends on how the owner values what s/he has and the skills/facilities available.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,270 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Next time you put her on a frame machine, loosen the bed and cab bolts first.

Also, assuming you have measured it diagnally both ways, how far are we talking about?

How much adjusting is it short?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:12 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
go into any toyota shop and they always have a truck stripped to the frames

Old 05-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Peter94
Postmaster
The body bolts were loosened up. It had 3/8" diamond in it. That is now gone. However the front rails have 1/2" sway to the right. I just cant believe that the frame shop couldn't get that out. Do you think I'm best off calling around and seeing if there is anyone who thinks they can tackle it, or has straightened a newer F150 frame yet?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's what I would do. Changing the frame is a major job on the newer trucks. It takes a lot of dedication and patience as well as equipment. I'm sure there is a frame straightening machine somewhere in your area that can do the job. 1/2" of sway is a lot more than I would let go. I'd find somebody to pull it.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:08 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Greg B
That's what I would do. Changing the frame is a major job on the newer trucks. It takes a lot of dedication and patience as well as equipment. I'm sure there is a frame straightening machine somewhere in your area that can do the job. 1/2" of sway is a lot more than I would let go. I'd find somebody to pull it.
I was at a Toyota dealership today bying some tranny fluid. They had a truck with the body off and a new frame on the truck. I asked the mechanic how long it takes to do the swap. he said 30-40 hours. they are pros with tools. I thought it would even take them longer than that amount of time

Old 05-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds about right for a well equipped shop and competent techs. But at $100 per hour labor rate (which is low) that's $3000-$4000 labor bill. That's why I'd try to get it pulled back to specs.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:50 AM
bearabledust
New User
I've done frame swaps on everything from S-10s to Excursions. Its takes me a full 3 to 4 days with a helper. But we also had a 2 post lift, engine hoist, correct suspension tools, etc...

A 1/2 inch sway should pull out. Are there any buckles/kinks in the suspension areas?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
The old iron was a lot easier to work on. That '50 Plymouth wagon only took me eight hours to remove, working by myself. And all I had was cinderblocks, timbers, and a bottlejack. Replacing it took about the same amount of time. It would have taken a bit longer if I had been pulling the suspension. I could have done it a lot faster if I had known what I was doing (but then, if I had known what I had been doing, I probably wouldn't have done it! ).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone ever put a frame on one of these trucks?