2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

HID light on 2007

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 PM
pathology knight
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID light on 2007

has anybody put on HID lights on their expy?

there are tons of kits on ebay for like $40. anybody know if they're any good?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:29 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Those retrofitted ebay type HID setups are illegal. They are not a good idea anyway. The headlight housing and lense was designed for the halogen bulb that is in it. The HID bulb is positioned in the housing differently. It will produce excessive glare to oncomming vehicles.

Please don't be one more person that puts that blinding crap on their vehicle. I also wouldn't want another reason to get pulled over because of having illegal lights.

The correct way to convert to HID is to run a complete setup with housing lense and all.

Also stay away from the tinted blue bulbs etc like Silverstar. They actually prduce less light than clear bulbs, its just whiter.

If you want better headlights, get a head light relay kit that will provide more current to the bulbs and run some brighter bulbs like Sylvania Xtravision, GE Nighthawk, Phillips Vision Plus etc. They are +30% or +50% bulbs that run at the same wattage as the stock bulbs. Do not run increased wattage bulbs. They will run hotter.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 AM
welfarewagon
Senior User
I have the HID's on my 07. Had to aim the lights down a bit to reduce glare but visibility is still far better then stock bulbs, I'm running the 6000K which is the color of most standard HID's not the blue or purplish colors.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:01 AM
gristanv
Freshman User
HIDs make

I installed HIDs one yaer ago. They are exelent.
I got conversion kit for $250 installed. Make sure you buy Dual Beam Design (H13 bulbs). In the past if you wanted to convert to High Intensity Discharge technology you had to sacrifice your high beams. But not anymore! This HID Kit utilizes electromagnetic servo technology that is integrated right into the bulb holder to re-aim the headlight bulb up or down to switch between high and low beams.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 AM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
Those retrofitted ebay type HID setups are illegal. They are not a good idea anyway. The headlight housing and lense was designed for the halogen bulb that is in it. The HID bulb is positioned in the housing differently. It will produce excessive glare to oncomming vehicles.

Please don't be one more person that puts that blinding crap on their vehicle. I also wouldn't want another reason to get pulled over because of having illegal lights.

The correct way to convert to HID is to run a complete setup with housing lense and all.

Also stay away from the tinted blue bulbs etc like Silverstar. They actually prduce less light than clear bulbs, its just whiter.

If you want better headlights, get a head light relay kit that will provide more current to the bulbs and run some brighter bulbs like Sylvania Xtravision, GE Nighthawk, Phillips Vision Plus etc. They are +30% or +50% bulbs that run at the same wattage as the stock bulbs. Do not run increased wattage bulbs. They will run hotter.
I had Hid's installed on truck on the headlights and on the fogs. I had them on since I purchased the truck and would recommend them.Don't understand why Ford does not include them on a $50k Suv.

Mine are very close to what a factory Hid look like and have had no complaints. On the Ford you will need to lower the aiming screw down slightly not to blind other drivers. They work really well visually in bad weather conditions. As for the fogs its strictly for off road use.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
I don't agree. I encounter those retrofit kits at least 10 times a week and it makes it you can't see anything else on the road except for the vehicle that has them. They are illegal for a reason.

I think that HID should never have been used on any automobile period. I don't like its false colors either. I think its just trendy bling.

I don't know why so many people complain about the stock headlights. It wasn't that many years ago that headlights were far worse and people did fine with them.

What some of you guys may not know is that with all the bright light in front of you, your peripheral night vision is actually reduced, because your pupils on not dialated.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:05 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock headlights are really exceptional. Compared to all of the cars in our family-Nissan Titan, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Corolla, 78 F250, they are leaps and bounds better. I don't see any need to change them except for changing the tone of the light for aesthetic reasons.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:17 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
I don't agree. I encounter those retrofit kits at least 10 times a week and it makes it you can't see anything else on the road except for the vehicle that has them. They are illegal for a reason.
Well....that is a matter of opinion. Yours.. ....
I like the fact that Hid's were available for me to have on my truck. You make some valid claims and I agree there is a large amount of crappy systems out there that tend to be different colors. Also those people you encounter on the road probably slaps those items in there without any care or adjustment to them. Then again you can get the same thing, when you install a new headlight and not adjust it. anyone that puts these on their trucks need to have little sense for other drivers on the road.

I think that HID should never have been used on any automobile period. I don't like its false colors either. I think its just trendy bling.
Are we referring to aftermarket kits or just all Hid's in general?

I don't know why so many people complain about the stock headlights. It wasn't that many years ago that headlights were far worse and people did fine with them.
So true, but with advances in the automotive world...so did the headlights. More and more automakers German, Japanese, American and so forth are applying it on their line up. It was one of the reasons for my decision to get it. I wanted something that was close to a factory look and the second thing was jumping out my cars with hid's to one that didn't was noted.

What some of you guys may not know is that with all the bright light in front of you, your peripheral night vision is actually reduced, because your pupils on not dialated.
Did not know that

Also just my 02

Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 PM
pathology knight
New User
umm....well i'd like to have brighter lights, that i know. my wifes the expy most of the time and she has a hard time with them. we had a 2009 santa fe that had kick *** lights on it. what's this "headlight relay kit" mentioned earlier?
if i wanted to go with the HID's, is this something i could do at home or should i call the dealer?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

preach it brother.

I hate all HID's with a passion. Factory or Bubba's Conversion kit. I had PRK Eye Surgery 2 yrs ago and now have 20/15 vision. At night I can see perfectly except when some damn fool with his $50 HID conversion comes along.

Then I see spots for minutes. Halogen bulbs don't affect me at all. Even properly designed factory HID's are excessively bright.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:18 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CarbonClear
Well....that is a matter of opinion. Yours.. ....
I like the fact that Hid's were available for me to have on my truck. You make some valid claims and I agree there is a large amount of crappy systems out there that tend to be different colors. Also those people you encounter on the road probably slaps those items in there without any care or adjustment to them. Then again you can get the same thing, when you install a new headlight and not adjust it. anyone that puts these on their trucks need to have little sense for other drivers on the road.

Are we referring to aftermarket kits or just all Hid's in general?

So true, but with advances in the automotive world...so did the headlights. More and more automakers German, Japanese, American and so forth are applying it on their line up. It was one of the reasons for my decision to get it. I wanted something that was close to a factory look and the second thing was jumping out my cars with hid's to one that didn't was noted.

Did not know that

Also just my 02
Your right, some of it is a matter of opinion as far as style goes, but even when adjusted down they still produce excessive glare.

I meant HID of any kind should never have made its way to the automotive industry. Even the HID on the high end cars glares more than regular lights. I also don't like that HID produces false colors and when the light shines on different objects they do not reflect their normal color.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by pathology knight
umm....well i'd like to have brighter lights, that i know. my wifes the expy most of the time and she has a hard time with them. we had a 2009 santa fe that had kick *** lights on it. what's this "headlight relay kit" mentioned earlier?
if i wanted to go with the HID's, is this something i could do at home or should i call the dealer?
The headlight relay kit is available from LMC and on Ebay as well as a few other places. I think Bronco Graveyard also has some. It takes the load of the lights off of the factory headlight switch and just uses it to turn on the relays. It also uses heavier gauge wire so that the lights recieve full voltage.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:22 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by pathology knight
The dealer does not offer an HID setup and won't install an aftermarket one because its illegal. The way to get a factory HID type of setup might to to swap the front clip from a Lincoln truck.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:24 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tylus
preach it brother.

I hate all HID's with a passion. Factory or Bubba's Conversion kit. I had PRK Eye Surgery 2 yrs ago and now have 20/15 vision. At night I can see perfectly except when some damn fool with his $50 HID conversion comes along.

Then I see spots for minutes. Halogen bulbs don't affect me at all. Even properly designed factory HID's are excessively bright.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Buddy!

Our 2003 Maxima has HID on the low beams, and I would actually like to convert that to halogen like the high beams. I don't like HID in bad weather and I don't like the beam cut off on the factory ones, because it doesn't allow any light to flood out past that point, so its only bright right in front of the car.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 AM
welfarewagon
Senior User
Thanks for the vote of confidence Buddy!

Our 2003 Maxima has HID on the low beams, and I would actually like to convert that to halogen like the high beams. I don't like HID in bad weather and I don't like the beam cut off on the factory ones, because it doesn't allow any light to flood out past that point, so its only bright right in front of the car.

Isn't that being a hypocrite? You moan about cars with HID's yet you own one yourself. If you intend to really make a point sell your Maxima right away.

BTW what is a "false color" isn't every color a real color?

Quick Reply: HID light on 2007